By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 5.6 million PS3 sold according to Sony

NJ5 said:

"The company's worldwide sales goal for next March remains 11 million units."

Totally misleading. 11 million units is the forecast number of shipped PS3s during the current fiscal year only! 2 million were shipped in the first half of the year, which means they have 9 million to do between October 2007 and March 2008.

If they achieved that goal, they would have shipped a total of 14.6 million PS3s by the end of March 2008, meaning about 13.5 million sold to customers.

With all the games being delayed my guess is that they'll miserably fail regarding that goal, guaranteeing a new round of doom and gloom for the PS3 in the media and everywhere else.

Your numbers are correct except that Sony seems to have quietly claimed its goal is to ship 10 million in FY08, not 11 million as they previously mentioned. 

Either way they are nowhere near being on track to meet that goal.

Around the Network

CCCP

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

masschamber said:
FishyJoe said:

Although the trend for the last year has been for publisher to create Xbox 360 SKUs and then port to PS3, Sony claims this is now starting to reverse: "Developers are now creating games on PS3 and then porting them to other platforms. This shows the strides developers are making in creating content for PS3 and also provides developers with an advantage as it's harder to port from Xbox 360 to PS3. Ubisoft's Haze is the first title to be created on PS3 and ported to Xbox."

Hmm apparently sony is also admitting that the ps3 isn't up to handling xbox360 ports, but the porting to the 360 from ps3 should be easy

Should be to a certain extent, most ps3 ports of 360 games don't use any of the SPE's, they might use multiple cores on the 360 but only a single on the ps3 >_>; so for a port from the ps3 all they have to do is compress textures, audio,  and resolution possibly. The spe management shoulden't be too hard on a core. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Saiyar said:
FishyJoe said:
I'm guessing the download number includes the free stuff.

XBL 45 million was for all stuff as well. I find it a bit strange that PSN has passed XBL's 18 month number in less than a year.

Pay content can be shared so that might have something to do with it.  Every pay game that I've bought both my cousins and my brothers also download.  Even Warhawk because I can only play that on weekends (They just stop playing after Thursday night then by Friday night I can play :).  So I'd say that has alot to do with it. 

DongHungLong said:
Saiyar said:
FishyJoe said:
I'm guessing the download number includes the free stuff.

XBL 45 million was for all stuff as well. I find it a bit strange that PSN has passed XBL's 18 month number in less than a year.

Pay content can be shared so that might have something to do with it. Every pay game that I've bought both my cousins and my brothers also download. Even Warhawk because I can only play that on weekends (They just stop playing after Thursday night then by Friday night I can play :). So I'd say that has alot to do with it.

I forgot about game sharing. that would explain the numbers quite well.

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
Meh, it means my system of choice will have great software around the board ^^ wether or not it does well is besides the point :D I get to play some great games, and the system itself has more to offer. Not a thing wrong with that ^^

NBA2k8 is pretty sweet.  I got to play it for the first time at my friends house today.  Only thing that pisses me off is they inverted the turbo and the select person to pass it to vs the college game.  I kept hitting the pass indicator instead of turbo when i went in for dunks.  Still hate the R2 and L2 triggers.

Then we played Street Fighter Alpha 3 from the PS2.  I'm getting decent with Guy.

Sadly he didn't have Ratchet and Clank which i wanted to try out.  Just Fight Night and Virtua Tennis.  Guess he was spending more money on his Wii and his roomates 360.  Though he was pissed cause his roomate traded in his 360 for a 40 gig PS3 so he had to sell his 360 games.

I'd be pissed too... why would you bother doing that when there is already a PS3 in the aparment.  The best PS3.  The 60 gig. 

Avinash_Tyagi said:
outlawauron said:
5.6 mil is an old number fishy. From their Q2 report. Fail

Which means VGC is pretty close, because that is to the end of sepetember, and its the middle of november meaning VGC is right around where it should be

Yes, but the numbers were adjusted in EU for all consoles (primarily Wii and DS) whenever all companies released their data.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

You have to all understand that this was nov 11, its nov 16.. ps sales exploded in japan ,and increase in europe the number is still 5.75m

I dont know where they are getting that haze is coming to the 360, the developer and everyone else confirmed that haze will only be available on the ps3.

mM
TheBigFatJ said:
NJ5 said:

"The company's worldwide sales goal for next March remains 11 million units."

Totally misleading. 11 million units is the forecast number of shipped PS3s during the current fiscal year only! 2 million were shipped in the first half of the year, which means they have 9 million to do between October 2007 and March 2008.

If they achieved that goal, they would have shipped a total of 14.6 million PS3s by the end of March 2008, meaning about 13.5 million sold to customers.

With all the games being delayed my guess is that they'll miserably fail regarding that goal, guaranteeing a new round of doom and gloom for the PS3 in the media and everywhere else.

Your numbers are correct except that Sony seems to have quietly claimed its goal is to ship 10 million in FY08, not 11 million as they previously mentioned.

Either way they are nowhere near being on track to meet that goal.

Actually I've even seen them claiming 9 million in some article, but I'm not quoting that because it was not very official, and it might be some confusion between 11 million and 11 million minus the 2 million shipped in the first two quarters.

If it is the case that they revised their forecast recently, why didn't they do so in their financial report? I believe they're trying to hide the game division's financial doom as much as legally possible. If you remember any source discussing the forecast change please post it here :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

http://www.digg.com/playstation_3/5_6_million_PS3_sold_according_to_Sony