By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Filesharing/Downloading Not wrong, just illegal in some places

If piracy gets worse and worse so that developers decide they can't make money from selling games... then they'll just have to find another way to make money out of giving away games for free.

In the future there will be a Hulu for free video games full of advertisements. The industry will still be profitable, AND games will have a wider audience.

Around the Network
impur1ty said:
woopah said:
impur1ty said:
leo-j said:
Oh please, stop trying to make up excuses, PIRACY is bad period. If everyone pirated, there would be no gaming.

Oh please, stop trying to make up excuses, WALKING is bad period. If everyone walked, there would be no cars.

this argument doesnt make any sense.  by walking you are getting  a vastly inferior experiance.

walking /= pirating

walking = doing wthout the game or music

pirating= making lots of copies of a car and giving them away for free.

The point was different things suit different people. When people want the packaging, online support, support developer, they'll go legitimate, when people want a sample, free game, instant digital copy, before release, no DRM, etc. they'll get the pirated version.

Both will co-exist, and always have done, and what's that? The video game market is actually growing?

when people want the insurance and the manufacturer support, they will buy a car. When people want a free car and not have to pay road tax, they will steal one. both can co exist. 

are you saying that if someone wants something for free its ok to steal it.  say i want the packaging, the manual, and the game for free, is it therefore ok if i went into a store and stole a copy of muramasa  because the indsutry is going? what about if people started all stealing NIS games? hey the comapnies going bust but that doesnt matter because the industry is growing! Plus people have been stealing for ages so that makes it ok

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

I will support the article.

I'll take the time period of 2 years, end of 2007 to end of 2009. I have pirated around 50 games in the time frame, I ended up buying probably around 30% of them, Dawn of War 2, Total War, World of GOo (3 copies actually), etc. The other 70% were just too shitty for the amount of money asked.

At the same time, the end of 2007, I made a Steam account with 0 games. Now at the end of 2009 I have about 110. Also bought dozens of retail games.

Now I ask how many of all those "OOOOOO Piracy is BAD and it will ruin the industry!!11ONE!ELEVEN" people have bought anywhere near the amount of games I have bought. In other words. I'm a pirate, I'm also one of the biggest industry supporters you will find, and according to the music industry, pirates are the backbone, not the people who don't pirate.

I will start finding piracy morally wrong and find it ruining the industry when others contribute at least as much as me to the industry. As it stands, I am a far greater helper of the industry than 95% of the people you will see on this site. I'm also a proud pirate.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Edit:

Forget it

F***ing lemmings

Random Canadian said:
About all the people saying -Screw potential sales blah blah if you dont buy it you shouldnt have/own play watch it whatever-
Bullshit! I have downloaded or pirated if you prefer, tons of PC/Xbox 1 games that after trying I found had 0 fucking % chance of being purchased by myself.

On the other hand I was at a EB games last week looking for MAG and the only copy they had left was pre-owned so I didnt get it because I think zipper deserves the money.

I also enjoy getting letters from the ESA and telling them to suck my nuts because I didnt break any canadian laws

Of course you're not going to purchase the game after you got it for free.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
Random Canadian said:
About all the people saying -Screw potential sales blah blah if you dont buy it you shouldnt have/own play watch it whatever-
Bullshit! I have downloaded or pirated if you prefer, tons of PC/Xbox 1 games that after trying I found had 0 fucking % chance of being purchased by myself.

On the other hand I was at a EB games last week looking for MAG and the only copy they had left was pre-owned so I didnt get it because I think zipper deserves the money.

I also enjoy getting letters from the ESA and telling them to suck my nuts because I didnt break any canadian laws

Of course you're not going to purchase the game after you got it for free.

Speak for yourself. As I pointed out, I have probably done more of this industry than you have.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

So you would prefer to pay for crappy games and support shovelware rather then trying things out before you buy. Or let me guess you know every game you want to get before it comes out and you are never wrong and buy crappy games or think something was going to be better then it was.

Oh and I have about 65 or so

Ps3/PS2/PSP/DS games and CFW on the PSP 1001 and an R4 for my GFs DSl !

and we still buy games !!! amazing I know, just not the shity ones

vaio said:

Tonight gamesession is a perfect example: NMH2 was a game I was going to get and I did my research and was more convinced that it was a game I would enjoy, keep and give me value after trying it for about 30 min I now know I wont be buyin it at all it was so dissapointing, the only way I am playing that now is if someone I know gets the game and I have time to play it then maybe i will try and finish it just to get the full story since i loved the first one.

FF chrystal bearers: I was never going to get this game and again I did the researched and it just reinforced my beliefs but after trying it tonight I am going to buy it lovet the first 20 min and I am excited to get the game and  continue.

This happened tonight i tried those 2 games before I went on the play Fatal Frame 4, because i can download I now saved money from not buying NMH2 and selling it back due to my dissapointment and instead I found a new game I liked for the money I saved wich was FFCB a game I would never thought I would buy.

I never said everyone would start buying the games they borrowed or rented, just as not everybody downloadin is buying the games they download, what I am saying is there are a big portion of gamers that do buy the games they download,rent or borrow and that is what the gaming Industry should try a nurish that are the positives from downloading/renting/borrowing.

Nothing stops them from doing the same thing again, this is up to personal responsobility and even if you couldnt download a person that wouldnt buy the game he could download would instead rent it or borrow it if he couldnt download it so the industry is not missing out on any sale on this kind of people and thats the ones they are trying to chase down.

Dont have PS3 so I know nothing of PSN, havent used xbla at all so i cant comment I love Wiiware but I hate that i have to buy the same games again on VC as I allready have on NES,SNES,N64 those games I install without paying but the Wiiware ones I happily pay for the ones I like like World of goo, Helix, Wild west guns and soon bit trip beat I also bought pacman even though i have it on a bunch of different systems and even on my phone that game is a must on any electronic device and I will pay for it every single time.

Alright, I'll just ask more about my last question as discussing the rest would be moving into strawmen territory. I'll just give you a big 'fair enough'.

My point with asking about those services was flawed. I only use PSN, and forgot that the others can be pirated. So instead, I'll just ask with PSN. You can buy games like on any of the other services, but you can only rely on research (including demoes), and you can't give games back. Would that deter you from using PSN for downloading games if you had a PS3?

If Nintendo and Microsoft were to follow Sony next generation and succeed in making their console pirate proof, would you spend less on money on console gaming, or would you just spend more money, but on games you don't know for sure if you will like?

The argument that piracy is something people want is ridiculous. Look at Itunes and Ipod. Good product+ good model+ cheap prices($0.99-1.29 a song)= HUGE SUCCESS

Now correct me if Im wrong but 0 is cheaper than $1.29. Yet people pay for tracks. Coz 1.29 is a gr8 price. I wouldn't think twice about an impulse buy if I liked a song at all.

In developing countries the same model shd be applied.I was in India recently and I visited an music store. You could buy original movies(a few yrs old) for Rs.30-50(that's literally $1 or lower).

Now that's a ridiculously low price- and Im sure they barely profit off this model but that is the model they have had to evolve in order to break off the piracy habit.

I remember the release of a big movie on DVD in china the same day it released in cinemas the day in the US. So companies have taken bold steps in the past.

People are smart. They want content NOW and fairly priced. You cannot charge 2-3x the price of the same content, in different parts of the world, if all the discs are all manufactured in China. That's freaking daylight robbery.

In gaming the model shouldn't be much different. $70 is a high price for games. A DVD costs next to nothing to manufacture- The reason we have high piracy is mainly becoz games target a younger, more sophisticated audience than say- movies or music- which caters to older tastes as well. I fail to see how this model is ever gonna work. Young gamers will never have access to as much money as adults do. So unless they figure out a way to find a cheaper, yet profitable method to distribute games- Piracy is going to exist.

Morality and legalities aside.

Price cheap.Market Well. You wont have to prosecute people.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Rainbird said:
vaio said:

Tonight gamesession is a perfect example: NMH2 was a game I was going to get and I did my research and was more convinced that it was a game I would enjoy, keep and give me value after trying it for about 30 min I now know I wont be buyin it at all it was so dissapointing, the only way I am playing that now is if someone I know gets the game and I have time to play it then maybe i will try and finish it just to get the full story since i loved the first one.

FF chrystal bearers: I was never going to get this game and again I did the researched and it just reinforced my beliefs but after trying it tonight I am going to buy it lovet the first 20 min and I am excited to get the game and  continue.

This happened tonight i tried those 2 games before I went on the play Fatal Frame 4, because i can download I now saved money from not buying NMH2 and selling it back due to my dissapointment and instead I found a new game I liked for the money I saved wich was FFCB a game I would never thought I would buy.

I never said everyone would start buying the games they borrowed or rented, just as not everybody downloadin is buying the games they download, what I am saying is there are a big portion of gamers that do buy the games they download,rent or borrow and that is what the gaming Industry should try a nurish that are the positives from downloading/renting/borrowing.

Nothing stops them from doing the same thing again, this is up to personal responsobility and even if you couldnt download a person that wouldnt buy the game he could download would instead rent it or borrow it if he couldnt download it so the industry is not missing out on any sale on this kind of people and thats the ones they are trying to chase down.

Dont have PS3 so I know nothing of PSN, havent used xbla at all so i cant comment I love Wiiware but I hate that i have to buy the same games again on VC as I allready have on NES,SNES,N64 those games I install without paying but the Wiiware ones I happily pay for the ones I like like World of goo, Helix, Wild west guns and soon bit trip beat I also bought pacman even though i have it on a bunch of different systems and even on my phone that game is a must on any electronic device and I will pay for it every single time.

Alright, I'll just ask more about my last question as discussing the rest would be moving into strawmen territory. I'll just give you a big 'fair enough'.

My point with asking about those services was flawed. I only use PSN, and forgot that the others can be pirated. So instead, I'll just ask with PSN. You can buy games like on any of the other services, but you can only rely on research (including demoes), and you can't give games back. Would that deter you from using PSN for downloading games if you had a PS3?

If Nintendo and Microsoft were to follow Sony next generation and succeed in making their console pirate proof, would you spend less on money on console gaming, or would you just spend more money, but on games you don't know for sure if you will like?

Only games I know something about or if the demo was good enouh would I buy something from PSN and as a result from not being able to try before it would be alot less then from VC,WiiWare so in effect the industry would loose alot of money from me.

If they managed to do that next gen I would buy alot less and end up with even less games I would keep but I would probably lend alot more games and rent if there was the possobility wich again would mean the industry would probably loose between 25-50% of the purchases I do now wich would mean approxomatly 15-25 games less per year/console.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.