By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will 360 start to outsell PS3 WW in 2010?

When will 360 start to outsell PS3 WW in 2010?

It won't, PS3 will conti... 529 59.24%

First Quarter (Jan-March) 24 2.69%

Second Quarter (Apr-June) 108 12.09%

Third Quarter (July-Sept) 147 16.46%

Fourth Quarter (Oct-Dec) 84 9.41%

Total:892

Holiday season when Natal launchs, possible price cut and of course Halo Reach. That's some massive hardware movements to be had in the US, and hopefully picks up in Europe then they should regain some loss, especially if theres a price cut.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
psrock said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:

It's still the most expensive console, right. So far, price cuts have been the biggest cards either the PS3 or 360 hav used on us. So again, calm down, it's february, you're just hoping right now. Last year around this time, people were calling out for Sony to Stop producing PS3. And, I remember people saying FFXIII was not such a big deal because most people who wanted the game bought it already.

PS3 launched at the same price as PS2 in Japan (adjusted for inflation).  Again, price hasn't been PS3's problem in Japan.  Take a breath, it's okay.

I think you like to hear yourself argue. let me put an end to it.

When has early months made such a difference? The 360 outsold the ps3 from late 2008 to Sept 2009 and yet the PS3 was able to outsell the 360 by over a million in just 2 months in the late quaters. I suspect the same thing will happen again, but to lesser figure since the PS3 is a little more affordable now.

Guessing Japan 4th quater sales in Feb is impossible, you don't know what these consoles have to bring yet.

lol@inflation excuse.

I like to hear myself argue.  I need to calm down.  I'm going to try my damnedest to make this personal since my arguments are so weak... oh wait, that last one isn't me. ;)

The only "excuse" here is (again) price.  Price in Japan isn't the problem, the issues run deeper than that.  And again, this isn't "guessing", there's literally noting on the horizon for Japan as big as slim/FFXIII.  "Guessing" would be holding out the great white hope that there was something on that level, based on nothing but blind faith.

haha

Again, I just don't see the issue you bring up. The PS3 is selling better than it's ever before. While you may think selling 24k in Feb is bad, I don't see it that way. I don't really take the Slim/FFXIII excuse too well since most did not expect it anyway. It's only after The Slim performed better than we predicted, now suddenly the PS3 can't do any better.

And yes, price does matter, you think a slim version without a pricecut would have made such an impact, I strongly doubt it. The PS3 biggest enemy has been it's price and still is everwhere.

24k is a fast drop, especially after how well it held last fall, most expected that to continue.  PS3's had fairly full lineup too, it's not like there's been any game drought.  That's the only point, that Japan's resurgence already seems to be fading.  And really, it goes without saying that FFXIII was probably the biggest release PS3 will ever see... the only thing bigger it could get would be a mainline Dragon Quest (not happening) or Nintendo games (really not happening).

As for price, the Japanese PS2 in 2000 launched at 39,800 yen.  That's equivalent to $546.45 today... and price never seemed to hold PS2 back.

The gap continues to shrink considerably as the ps3's North American sales fall sharply. The shortages in the US are getting worse and worse, which is probably why the ps3 went from selling neck and neck with the 360 a month ago to having 25% less sales this past week.

Things are getting pretty bad. Only one store out of 45 in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area has any ps3s, and it only has the 250gb sku. On Amazon, it says the 120gb ps3 "Usually ships from 1-2 months."

Guys on gaf are reporting similar shortages to that in Southern Louisiana nationwide:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19917795&posted=1#post19917795

The 360 could start outselling the ps3 as early as next month, if the shortages only get worse.

jarrod said:

24k is a fast drop, especially after how well it held last fall, most expected that to continue.  PS3's had fairly full lineup too, it's not like there's been any game drought.  That's the only point, that Japan's resurgence already seems to be fading.  And really, it goes without saying that FFXIII was probably the biggest release PS3 will ever see... the only thing bigger it could get would be a mainline Dragon Quest (not happening) or Nintendo games (really not happening).

As for price, the Japanese PS2 in 2000 launched at 39,800 yen.  That's equivalent to $546.45 today... and price never seemed to hold PS2 back.

all the consoles are dropping, why is the PS3 one so different?

the PS3 lauch price was twice of the PS2 which sunk them deep into second place, 60,000 yen at first which cost them tons of sales. And go look at the PS2, they sold 24k weekly plenty of times, but dominated during Holiday seasons.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
makingmusic476 said:
The gap continues to shrink considerably as the ps3's North American sales fall sharply. The shortages in the US are getting worse and worse, which is probably why the ps3 went from selling neck and neck with the 360 a month ago to having 25% less sales this past week.

Things are getting pretty bad. Only one store out of 45 in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area has any ps3s, and it only has the 250gb sku. On Amazon, it says the 120gb ps3 "Usually ships from 1-2 months."

Guys on gaf are reporting similar shortages to that in Southern Louisiana nationwide:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19917795&posted=1#post19917795

The 360 could start outselling the ps3 as early as next month, if the shortages only get worse.

Where are the extra millions PS3 at ? that's my question. They shipped 33million, yet sold 30, yet we can't find them in the biggest market in the world. Something is not right.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
jarrod said:

the PS3 lauch price was twice of the PS2 which sunk them deep into second place, 60,000 yen at first which cost them tons of sales. And go look at the PS2, they sold 24k weekly plenty of times, but dominated during Holiday seasons.

Eh, no PS3 launched at 49,980 yen.  Equivalent to $585.79 today.  Or about $40 more, not near "twice the price".

And Wii's held better than expected.  Honestly, current Wii sales are more what I expected PS3 to be at this time (35-40k).

jarrod said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:

Eh, no PS3 launched at 49,980 yen.  Equivalent to $585.79 today.  Or about $40 more, not near "twice the price".

And Wii's held better than expected.  Honestly, current Wii sales are more what I expected PS3 to be at this time (35-40k).

tp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6135452.stm

The PlayStation 3 (PS3) is being sold in two configurations. The more expensive version has a 60GB hard drive and wi-fi on board and costs, in Japan, 60,000 yen (£270). The cheaper version has a 20GB hard drive, lacks the wi-fi and will cost 49,980 yen (£222). European prices are expected to be higher than direct comparisons suggest

Next Gen 

not untill a price cut

Sony has Last Guardian coming out soon

considering all the sales for the elite and arcade and no spike in 360s sold...i dont think even a 50 price cut will do much...unless the elite is going to go for 199...

psrock said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:

tp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6135452.stm

The PlayStation 3 (PS3) is being sold in two configurations. The more expensive version has a 60GB hard drive and wi-fi on board and costs, in Japan, 60,000 yen (£270). The cheaper version has a 20GB hard drive, lacks the wi-fi and will cost 49,980 yen (£222). European prices are expected to be higher than direct comparisons suggest

lol.  Did you read your own quote?  I'm not seeing "twice the price" anywhere, but I do see "49,980 yen"!