By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the most "mature" Nintendo-developed game?

And remember, I'm talking developed, not published.  The Metroid, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars series, as well as some of the Zelda titles, all have some degree of mature elements to their design.  These elements are closely related to their respective genres, however, and with the possible exception of Majora's Mask, are generally not darker than the style of game would normally dictate.  My vote goes to Star Fox 64.  With its themes of planetary war, civilian casualties and mercenary combat, as well as an extra cinematic flourish not often seen in Nintendo-developed titles, I think the game goes a little further than typical to establish a darker, more mature atmosphere than most other in-house games.  What do you folks think?

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network

Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day.

Most mature game ever made.

End of thread.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

There was this game developed by Nintendo that was rated M by the ESRB,PEGI etc.

Can't recall its name right now.

The dead bodies on the Super Metroid title screen have forever been burned into my retinas.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

azurill said:
There was this game developed by Nintendo that was rated M by the ESRB,PEGI etc.

Can't recall its name right now.

Was it Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem?  I think they were just publishing it, but I might be wrong.  That might have been the one where they bought the developer halfway through or something.

Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.

Around the Network

Eternal Darkness was published by Nintendo, but was developed by Silicon Knights.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Enternal Darkeness. ooh wait, i am not sure if this game was developed by Ninty but i am pretty sure they published it.

ClaudeLv250 said:
The dead bodies on the Super Metroid title screen have forever been burned into my retinas.
i had nightmares about that screen

Rubang B said:
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day.

Most mature game ever made.

End of thread.

I have to agree. Or Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training, as it's known around here. I even has 100 sudoku puzzles. But outside Brain Training, i would say Zelda is the most mature series/game so far. @Azurill: You propably mean Geist. If i recall, it was co-developed and published by Nintendo. @Rubang B: I don't know how much Nintendo had it's hands on ED:s development, but at least Shigeru was it's producer. Star Fox's were only co-developed by Nintendo if i recall.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Wikipedia tells me that Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem was the first Nintendo-published game to get an M, and was even the first GameCube game to get an M at all, but yeah it was developed by Silicon Knights. Geist was the 2nd Nintendo-published game to get an M, but developed by n-Space. However, it says they worked very closely with Nintendo and had input from Miyamoto as well.

So Nintendo's dabbled with M-rated game development, but I don't think they've ever developed an entire M-rated game on their own. Luckily, the M stands for manly and has nothing to do with maturity. Brain Age is a million times more mature than anything else ever.