By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time by the end of this gen

pezus said:
phenom08 said:
ethomaz said:

phenom08 said:

I don't know any neither do you, thats the point. If you did then we wouldn't need to "make maths" dude.

I just have free time.

Enough to wish for the best for the PS2? I have a question for you though, which scenario is better? In scenario 1, Apple's Iphone 5 sells 200 million units and the Iphone 6 sells 100 million. In scenario 2, Apple's Iphone 5 sells 150 million and Iphone 6 sells 150 million. Which scenario do you think is better?

Does it matter which one he thinks is better? We're talking facts here and doing some maths based on the numbers from Sony. You either believe PS3 is undertracked, or the PS2. There is no middle ground. Two evils for you, I'm sure, but which one is the more likely?

Are you angry or something lol, you are now quoting post that have nothing to do with you. How is this not flaming? "And doing some maths based on the numbers from Sony," we wouldn't need to if Sony wasn't trying to hide something. That question had nothing to do with Sony, or did it? Well put it this way it had nothing to do with the "is the PS3 or PS2 undertracked debate."

Around the Network
pezus said:
phenom08 said:
pezus said:

Because Sony gave us 2.8m for PS3+PS2 last quarter, and based on PS3's weekly sales, 800k-1m is the most likely range for PS2 shipments and 1.8m-2m for PS3. Unless you believe PS3 was vastly undertracked at the time...

Again the fact that you gave me a range, proves you don't know the actual figures. That's what I would call speculation. Have a good day, me and ethomaz are having a good conversation.

Lol, nobody knows the figures, but this is based on probability and a bit of thinking. This whole site is based around estimates, did you know that?

So in other words, you dont know? Its ok pezus, maybe Sony will give us the numbers this time and stop hiding what they are hiding.

Michael-5 said:

If Sony confirmed 156.1 million PS2's shipped, and you have a link you should update wikipedia.

Also I would like you to find these sources. Sony confirmed 153.6 million shipped as of November 21st 2011: Link(Read bottom) That link opens a pdf by Sony.

VGC tracked PS2 sales at about 2.25 million last year (730k Q1, 420k Q2, 405k Q3, and around 700k Q4), which was what 100% down from 2010 sales (PS2 sold 4.59 million units according to VGC in 2010).

I don't think PS2 will be outshipping anyone in the future. Last year PS2 did ship 1.2 million in Q2, but only 0.9 million in Q3 (30% as much as the year prior) and 0.6 million in Q4 (50% as much as the year prior). They shipped 4.1 million PS2s last year, and sold 2.25 million. I really doubt that that shipped any more then 2 million (If any) PS2's this year, and I doubt that PS2 is going to sell over 1 million units WW.

Last I heard PS2 shipped 154.4 million, and according to VGC and my scaling for 2012, PS2 is still trying to sell off old inventory. With sales rates crashing, 154.4 looks like a struggle as it is.

So tell me, If PS2 shipped 4.1 million and only sold 2.25 million last year, given that shipped units dropped by 33% in 2011 (And above 50% drop in the last half of 2011), which is the biggest drop yet, How is PS2 outshipping the DS? DS has already sold 1.9 million units this year, and will likely end between 2.2-2.5 million, which will be double the number of PS2's sold at least.

153.6 million is the shipped data as September 30th, 2011 (Q2 2011)... after that Sony shipped more  0.9m (Q3 2011) and 0.6m (Q4 2011) -- http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_sale_e.html.

155.1m as March 31th, 2012 (Official  by Sony)

In Q1 2012 Sony shipped ~1.0 million... so 156.1m (not official).

Sony forecast for 2012: 3.0m PS2 shipped.
Nintendo forecast for 2012: 2.5m DS shipped

Yes... Sony and Nintendo expect PS2 to outship DS in 2012. 

VGC don't track PS2 sales anymore.

phenom08 said:
So in other words, you dont know? Its ok pezus, maybe Sony will give us the numbers this time and stop hiding what they are hiding.

Good morning.

lol you really think 2.8m PS3 + PS2 is something like 2.5m PS3 and 300k PS2.

Sony already said that expect PS2 to ship 3 million units in FY 2012.

This is fun.

Which will win (PS2 or DS) is anyone's guess though. It'll probably boil down to which one will be discontinued sooner.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
phenom08 said:

Good morning.

lol you really think 2.8m PS3 + PS2 is something like 2.5m PS3 and 300k PS2.

Sony already said that expect PS2 to ship 3 million units in FY 2012.

No lol, what I'm saying is I'll rather wait for the facts. Why 300k PS2 to 2.5m PS3? Why not 500k PS2 to 2.3m PS3? I don't know and neither do you, thats the point. Just wait for the financials from Sony. Also the reason I asked you that scenario question was to help you realize I don't care about Sony's one high selling platform. I would rather see Ninty sell 100 m Wii, 100 m WiiU, 100m Wii3, 100m Wii4, instead of 170m PS2, 90m PS3, 70m PS4, 50m PS5 if Sony even last this long that is.

New number for Nintendo - Q2 2012.

DS: 0.44m
Wii: 0.61m
3DS:3.20m

So PS2 is ready to outsell DS and Wii this quarter too... DS and Wii are dead.

More here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496881

phenom08 said:

No lol, what I'm saying is I'll rather wait for the facts. Why 300k PS2 to 2.5m PS3? Why not 500k PS2 to 2.3m PS3? I don't know and neither do you, thats the point. Just wait for the financials from Sony. Also the reason I asked you that scenario question was to help you realize I don't care about Sony's one high selling platform. I would rather see Ninty sell 100 m Wii, 100 m WiiU, 100m Wii3, 100m Wii4, instead of 170m PS2, 90m PS3, 70m PS4, 50m PS5 if Sony even last this long that is.

Because Sony confirmed PS3 and PS2 sales are down year over year... PS3 sold 1.8m last year in the same quarter... so it's hard to believe in 2.3m PS3.

S.Peelman said:
This is fun.

Which will win (PS2 or DS) is anyone's guess though. It'll probably boil down to which one will be discontinued sooner.

No it will probably be the PS2, Ninty doesn't care about having one high selling platform, they would rather have multiple. Of course some will say why not both, well its quite clear both can't be done or its very hard to pull off. Sony can't have a very long selling plat without harming its successor and Ninty can't have a high selling plat without hurting the predecessor.

ethomaz said:

New number for Nintendo - Q2 2012.

DS: 0.44m
Wii: 0.61m
3DS:3.20m

So PS2 is ready to outsell DS and Wii this quarter too... DS and Wii are dead.

More here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496881

Im hoping that Sony breaks down the numbers again for PS2 PS3 PSP and Vita.  No sense in covering for vita sales but I genuinely want to know PS2 breakdown sales (and PS3 for that matter)