By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII (360) Not HD | Resolution, Anti-Aliasing Analyzed

All these arguments about what is HD and what isn't HD are why this generation should not be referred to as the HD era.

If anything, it's the ED era, since a lot of the biggest games like COD are sub HD.

VGChartz

Around the Network
Falsate said:
numonex said:
bRoKeN said:

Very bad form from Square Enix. 360 owners deserve much better.  Top screenshot = low res, grainy, blurry version of FFXIII. Microsoft gave you lots of money to help you out. You repay us with this performance.

I don't know where you've gotten those screenshots from, but the PS3 was never that sharp. Either you or someone else applied an additional Sharpness filter to both images causing way too much contrast.

ACTUAL PS3 Version: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/02/ffxiii_event01.jpg

ACTUAL 360 version: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/02/ffxiii_event03_02.jpg

those pics you linked show even a more marked difference between the two than the original ones.

I would have just kept quiet.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

tuscaniman said:
leo-j said:
tuscaniman said:

The 360 is fully capable of putting out games that look as beautiful as the PS3. Just watch some Alan Wake footage or get ready for some Halo:Reach footage in the future. Enough of the X console is better than X console because this bush is in the corner. Both consoles are pretty much on an even plain when it comes to graphics. Yes Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are the two top dogs in graphics at the moment, but as I said Alan Wake and Halo:Reach will have something to say about that.
Second of all when the PS3 does graphics the PC isn't capable of then we can discuss throwing away the DVD medium. You guys realize Crysis is on a DVD right? Switching discs (if needed for a game) is not tedious or a deal breaker. If it is either of those to someone choosing between consoles then they need to see a psychiatrist.

the thing is you people think ALAN WAKE and HALO REACH look as good as UNCHARTED 2 and KILLZONE 2, based on what has been shown, they aren't even close.. I said it in the last thread, and I'll say it again in this thread. Crysis has nothing to do with FF XIII or LOST PLANET, Crysis isn't even that long to begin with..

Yes Alan Wake is very close. Take your blinders off. And Crysis has everything to do with the DVD vs Blueray medium discussion. Its on a DVD and destroys Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2. Thats a comparison that isn't close.

PC games work differently. Every PC requires a Hardrive there for Crytek can pack up and cram Crysis's assets onto one Installation DVD. When the PC user insert's the disc it Unpacks from its compressive state and installs onto the Hardrive taking up more space than the disc permits. Most of the Core assets if not everything is then ran from the hardrive.

Ontopic: Looking at all the screens (especially above) its a fucking dreadful port.

If it fails to look any better on my TV I'm returning the Xbox 360 version once I have 1000/1000ed it and buying the PS3 version. I thought the Xbox 360 GPU had extra embedded ram which offers task free 2x MSAA?

Edit: Actually what am I thinking. Why would I reward Square-Enix for making a shitty port by going out and buying the Playstation version, earning them more money?

You know I'll through my two cents in by saying, I don't give a damn.

I'm not going to notice the difference unless I buy both versions, then set up two identical HD TV's side by side and play them at the same time. All of which I'm not going to do because I'm not a sad fanboy who has to justify their choice of console by continually telling everyone else how much better it is than the competition.

I love that the games industry has competition in it, because that leads to better games, but stuff like this just takes it too far and ends up ruining the experience of playing.

*Steals back two cents*

kiefer23 said:
tuscaniman said:
leo-j said:
tuscaniman said:

The 360 is fully capable of putting out games that look as beautiful as the PS3. Just watch some Alan Wake footage or get ready for some Halo:Reach footage in the future. Enough of the X console is better than X console because this bush is in the corner. Both consoles are pretty much on an even plain when it comes to graphics. Yes Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are the two top dogs in graphics at the moment, but as I said Alan Wake and Halo:Reach will have something to say about that.
Second of all when the PS3 does graphics the PC isn't capable of then we can discuss throwing away the DVD medium. You guys realize Crysis is on a DVD right? Switching discs (if needed for a game) is not tedious or a deal breaker. If it is either of those to someone choosing between consoles then they need to see a psychiatrist.

the thing is you people think ALAN WAKE and HALO REACH look as good as UNCHARTED 2 and KILLZONE 2, based on what has been shown, they aren't even close.. I said it in the last thread, and I'll say it again in this thread. Crysis has nothing to do with FF XIII or LOST PLANET, Crysis isn't even that long to begin with..

Yes Alan Wake is very close. Take your blinders off. And Crysis has everything to do with the DVD vs Blueray medium discussion. Its on a DVD and destroys Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2. Thats a comparison that isn't close.

PC games work differently. Every PC requires a Hardrive there for Crytek can pack up and cram Crysis's assets onto one Installation DVD. When the PC user insert's the disc it Unpacks from its compressive state and installs onto the Hardrive taking up more space than the disc permits. Most of the Core assets if not everything is then ran from the hardrive.

Ontopic: Looking at all the screens (especially above) its a fucking dreadful port.

If it fails to look any better on my TV I'm returning the Xbox 360 version once I have 1000/1000ed it and buying the PS3 version. I thought the Xbox 360 GPU had extra embedded ram which offers task free 2x MSAA?

Edit: Actually what am I thinking. Why would I reward Square-Enix for making a shitty port by going out and buying the Playstation version, earning them more money?

cuz you always bought the best version of multiplatform rewarding shitty ps3 ports :p

Around the Network
BW_JP said:
Mr Puggsly said:
djs said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Anything higher than 480 = HD.

The statement of the week...

SD is 480. So technically anything higher is HD. Hence higher than the standard definition.

If you can prove me wrong go for it. Or you can make another asinine comment. Your choice.

nice to talk big hug? 576p is not High Definition. Its "enhanced" sd in america, and it's normal SD in Europe.

720p HD has 737280pixels per frame

576p SD has 589824 pixels per frame. Not only that, it's not the standard image ratio for a standard HD TV so it will look even worse. 

The only High definition Accepted video outputs for Commercially available televisions are 720p HD and 1080p, known as "True" HD.

Here's a nice view for you.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Common_Video_Resolutions_2.svg

SD in Europe at least on the PAL standard runs at 576i NOT 576p. Progressive Scan wasnt used due to the time it would take to render a full frame would for many introduce a stuttering effect.

Its still FFXIII.I bought the Orange Box on PS3 Despite EA's fail,and I enjoyed it cause Half-Life 2 and Portal are great.Sure the textures are lower detailed but those differences dont truly affect the overall experience.The main reason everyone buys FFs is for their story and character development

Garnett said:
BMaker11 said:
I just want to take this opportunity to say that we should never discuss quality of ports ever again. Everytime a PS3 port wasn't equal, the conversation goes "PS3 is just too hard to develop for" or something along those lines. Now we have a game where the 360 version is noticeably worse and everyone says "Who cares".

Like CGI said, they are NOT the same console (unlike what most (360 fans) want to believe). And it's showing.

Wow..

How long were they developing FF13 on the PS3? 

Now how long were they developing it for the 360?

Exactly.. 

And when i saw the pics they were pixels.

I believe FFXIII development started in 06. They switch from the PS3 specific White Engine to the multiplatform Crystal Tools engine in 2007. Plenty of time to make the engine work well on the 360, since it's for multiple platforms

Mr Puggsly said:
djs said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Anything higher than 480 = HD.

The statement of the week...

SD is 480. So technically anything higher is HD. Hence higher than the standard definition.

If you can prove me wrong go for it. Or you can make another asinine comment. Your choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

BMaker11 said:
Garnett said:
BMaker11 said:
I just want to take this opportunity to say that we should never discuss quality of ports ever again. Everytime a PS3 port wasn't equal, the conversation goes "PS3 is just too hard to develop for" or something along those lines. Now we have a game where the 360 version is noticeably worse and everyone says "Who cares".

Like CGI said, they are NOT the same console (unlike what most (360 fans) want to believe). And it's showing.

Wow..

How long were they developing FF13 on the PS3? 

Now how long were they developing it for the 360?

Exactly.. 

And when i saw the pics they were pixels.

I believe FFXIII development started in 06. They switch from the PS3 specific White Engine to the multiplatform Crystal Tools engine in 2007. Plenty of time to make the engine work well on the 360, since it's for multiple platforms

They had 3 years to polish the PS3 version and less than a year to do the same for 360.