By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo responds to DS redesign rumor

Read "as long as DS sells hundreds of thousands a week we have no need to upgrade"

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Read "as long as DS sells hundreds of thousands a week we have no need to upgrade"

I go with this one!

Not another remake... new cases, new batteries, no more accessories for older versions = not a good idea

konnichiwa said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I go with this one!

*agrees* 

No need to rock the boat if it's already smooth sailing. Expect new colors/themes, maybe less often than the GBA though (yikes!)

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

@ Soriku

Nice troll... And doesn't make sense. You don't need to buy anything different for the different PS3 versions. They lose features. What is the point of your post? Why is it that on every post, you take a shot at Sony?

Around the Network

Yeah, they aint updating. They updated it earlier because phat ds sales were declining and psp was gaining. Now it is still surging. Plus, the redesign rumored is pretty lame. Why would they cut out gba bc? Plus, lose the extra items that the DS uses there like web and rumble.

DMeisterJ said:

@ Soriku

Nice troll... And doesn't make sense. You don't need to buy anything different for the different PS3 versions. They lose features. What is the point of your post? Why is it that on every post, you take a shot at Sony?

I'd say that there is a basis for comparison between a DS that won't play GBA games and a PS3 that won't play PS2 games.

Though I'd certainly agree that a one-liner isn't really making any kind of comparison.

The crucial difference is that Sony is trying to broaden the appeal of a relatively unsuccessful product with a redesign that removes backwards compatibility. It's a risk, but Sony has more to gain than it has to lose. Since the DS isn't unsuccessful, it has more to lose than it has to gain, and shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Since someone else started the rumor, I don't mind so much saying this now. They aren't updating, they are making a completely new one. It's been around for a while and there are even games far in development for it.

Also, this happens to be one of the two reasons that I think there is going to be a Halo DS (though I don't think Master Chief will be in Brawl anymore).

famousringo said:

I'd say that there is a basis for comparison between a DS that won't play GBA games and a PS3 that won't play PS2 games.

How about comparing it to a GBA that doesn't play GB or GBC games?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.