By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Sales Up to 100,000 Per Week After Price Cut

damkira said:
Wow. It is also very fortuitous for Sony that NPD has stopped releasing hardward data, so Sony can claim they are selling any amount they want and nobody, except those of us who read VGChartz, will be able to say otherwise.

Actually, NPD did decide to keep releasing data.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

Haven't you seen the news? NPD reversed its decision and is releasing monthly hardware data.

krik said:
kvh22000 said:
if they sold 100,000 last week and assuming other data from this website is correct Others/Japan..then Ps3 outsold 360 world wide last week.

That would be sweet. But that also made me notice that even with the current vgchartz numbers the 360 only sold about 15% more than the PS3 worldwide. The gap is getting shorter. The numbers for this holiday season will be nice to follow. I have a feeling the 2 consoles might end up pretty close in sales.

You understand the power of a price drop and cheaper model!

If those sales are the debut week, dont expect them to follow

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Its a good time of year to be making statements like that - with holidays & Black Friday approaching. Sales will definitely increase.

I think Sony will do 300-350k for November (assume its 4 week period?).

But - the 360 will do closer to 700k, and the Wii might get close to hitting 850k-1m.

Its as predicted in our current forecasts - nothing exceptional, or out of the ordinary.

Still predict another 2.0-2.5m PS3s sold for the remainder of the year (next 7 weeks) worldwide - bring overall total to 7.5-8.0m.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/835/835418p1.html

40GB is japan sold 64k plus w/e the other models sold. Thats massive.

So about 75k in Japan + 100k US + 100k UK/Other? =  275k

awesome 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Before posting more "it's sold out at *insert store here*", you might want to take a look at some past threads the last time there was a price cut in July.

PS3 sold out at some stores?
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=4051

WalMart.com PS3=SoldOut
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=4407

Amazon.com PS3s are out of stock
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=4206

Don't make me search for, "Wait til *insert games here* arrive, things will turn around". Because there are plenty of those as well.

Well, we will soon know what will happen. Right now the only thing I know for sure is that this will be the first Christmas for PS3. Last Christmas it was pretty hard to find in US and was not even released in Europe.

But even if the PS3 does not sell as well as the 360 it will sell pretty well and should pick up steam for next year.

Anyway what price cut are you talking about? The PS3 never had a REAL price cut. Are you talking about the replacing the 60Gb by 80Gb (with Motorstorm) at $600 and replacing the 20Gb by the 60Gb at $500? That is hardly a price cut. The PS3 launched at $500/$600 and until this month it was still $500/$600. This is the first time Sony reduced the price of the console. Now there are 2 models: 40Gb @ $400 and 80Gb @ $500. The more affordable $400 is what makes the difference.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Consoles are sold out when they aren't stocked as aggressively as they are wanted, or when demand exceeds what a store can order.  Sometimes both, but tough to tell a store to staff all the 360 models from a shelf space perspective, then PS3s based on limited demand, and supply shortages for Wii.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.

360Rocks said:

Consoles are sold out when they aren't stocked as aggressively as they are wanted, or when demand exceeds what a store can order.  Sometimes both, but tough to tell a store to staff all the 360 models from a shelf space perspective, then PS3s based on limited demand, and supply shortages for Wii.

Well, if Sony said they sold 100k PS3 consoles to retailers (instead of the normal 30k/week) and retailers sell out doesn't that mean consumers bought more consoles? That means demand is growing and that retailers will eventually stock more PS3 consoles to make sure they close that sale when the consumer steps into the store looking it.

What is your logic?

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

who knows. Npd will have these numbers in December. Good for Sony that Americans are biting, whenever EU didn't.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.