By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Sales Up to 100,000 Per Week After Price Cut

That last sentence is the ultimate in corporate spin LOL! I can see Stringers head going in circles like in the Exorcist.

He's all but admitting the Wii is going to sell like gangbusters and they'll be picking up the scraps.

Around the Network

Wow, we are back to people thinking that when Sony says sold that means that it was sold to the end user. That is incorrect. They are just saying they sold 100,000 units to retailers for that week. Hate to break it to y'all, but we are not Sony's direct customers. Retailers are. Whether the retailers have been selling all their stock is up in the air, as there really hasn't been any observations that show increased PS3 interest at retail. I find it highly doubtful that they have, because in my district (over 16 big box stores that cover 3 states), sales have increased marginally and we still have the original 40 gigs in stock. The interest still doesn't seem to be there.

kvh22000 said:
if they sold 100,000 last week and assuming other data from this website is correct Others/Japan..then Ps3 outsold 360 world wide last week.

That would be sweet. But that also made me notice that even with the current vgchartz numbers the 360 only sold about 15% more than the PS3 worldwide. The gap is getting shorter. The numbers for this holiday season will be nice to follow. I have a feeling the 2 consoles might end up pretty close in sales.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

cowbourne said:
Wow, we are back to people thinking that when Sony says sold that means that it was sold to the end user. That is incorrect. They are just saying they sold 100,000 units to retailers for that week. Hate to break it to y'all, but we are not Sony's direct customers. Retailers are. Whether the retailers have been selling all their stock is up in the air, as there really hasn't been any observations that show increased PS3 interest at retail. I find it highly doubtful that they have, because in my district (over 16 big box stores that cover 3 states), sales have increased marginally and we still have the original 40 gigs in stock. The interest still doesn't seem to be there.

Well, the 3 gamestop shops around me sold out of 40Gb twice already. They keep getting more but they did sell out twice in a little over a week.

Also I doubt that after the 20Gb/60Gb fiasco at launch retailers would be filling their stocks with lots of PS3s. So even if Sony is counting sales to retailers I don't think the retailers are stupid to be stock pilling them.

Target I went into today was completely sold out of PS3's. So i dont know what that means. As for people saying the PS3 selling 100,000 in US is irrelevant, since the PS3 is outselling the Xbox360 everywhere but the UK,US,and Australia, it only really needs to be within 20,000 or so in US to pass it in sales WW.

Add on to that the release of Uncharted, UT3, Haze, and SingstarPS3 this year, and the PS3 could POSSIBLY outsell the Xbox in the 10 week period. But this definitely shows that the PS3 wont be outsold by 1,000,000 like was previously predicted on this site.

Of course Xbox does have Mass Effect which looks to be on the way for GOTY review-wise, but it seems more likely that people are waiting for games to buy a PS3 which it now has, and is getting plenty more of before the years end. This will be more influential than Mass Effect IMO, since the Xbox already has games, and the GOTY, BioShock, pretty much on lock.

Around the Network
krik said:
cowbourne said:

Well, the 3 gamestop shops around me sold out of 40Gb twice already. They keep getting more but they did sell out twice in a little over a week.

Also I doubt that after the 20Gb/60Gb fiasco at launch retailers would be filling their stocks with lots of PS3s. So even if Sony is counting sales to retailers I don't think the retailers are stupid to be stock pilling them.

You do realize that retail is being stuffed with all products right now.  EBGames/Gamestop don't have the traffic and profit to be able to stock like the stores I work for.   Big box stores are getting massive shipments right now of consoles, except the Wii.  Lastly, its not a question of "if they are counting sales to retailers" as it's the only sales they record.  They don't count sales to consumers, because they don't know that info.  Don't understand why people keep thinking that.

40Gb is backordered again at Sonystyle. This is the 3rd time I noticed this since the 40Gb release in US. I'm really starting to believe that VGC might be under-tracking sales for last week...

Since when did Sonystyle become an indicator for sales? Why can't you just wait for some solid statistics to come out before saying they're in error. Don't be a Diomedes.

Wow. It is also very fortuitous for Sony that NPD has stopped releasing hardward data, so Sony can claim they are selling any amount they want and nobody, except those of us who read VGChartz, will be able to say otherwise.

damkira said:
Wow. It is also very fortuitous for Sony that NPD has stopped releasing hardward data, so Sony can claim they are selling any amount they want and nobody, except those of us who read VGChartz, will be able to say otherwise.

NPD will still be releasing hardware data. October's data should be available tomorrow.