By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Sales Up to 100,000 Per Week After Price Cut

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3-sales-up-to-100000-per-week-after-price-cut/18548/

Sony chief Howard Stringer has revealed that the PS3's sales have taken off in the U.S. following the debut of the $399 model. He says that "the turning point has been passed."

Posted by James Brightman on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The reduction in price on the 80GB PS3 from $599 to $499 and the introduction of the 40GB model for $399 is doing exactly what Sony had hoped: people are finally buying their new console with a bit more regularity.

According to the Associated Press, Sony chairman and chief executive Howard Stringer said, "It's the breakthrough we've been anticipating. We've been holding our breath."

Before the price cut went into effect, Sony said it had been selling between 30,000 and 40,000 consoles per week. The PS3 sold 119,000 units in September in the U.S., according to NPD data. However, in the first week after the price drop, sales rose to 75,000, and sales rose again to more than 100,000 per week after the introduction of the 40 gigabyte model on Nov. 2, Sony told the AP.

"Obviously, we've taken so much heat over the year on PS3," Stringer noted. "Finally, the turning point has been passed."

He added that the Wii's shortage problems might even help the PS3 this holiday season. "It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I don't believe anything these SONY execs say so guess we will see what the NPD says for November though if you go by this site his wrong already.

Around the Network

should they wait a little bit longer for the market to settle before call it a break through?

Wasn't there a similar bump the last price cut?

Euh ... wait I can't follow...Are they saying the PS3 is still selling 100 k per week or just some weeks?

This is not what VG is saying or am I wrong?

FishyJoe said:
Wasn't there a similar bump the last price cut?

And the Euro launch...

Always the same, but maybe this time the sales wont drop so fast... maybe...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

Retailer sales?  As alot of retailers would like to pick up the 40 gigs to take up space on shelves :).  All kidding aside PS3 is selling rather poorly in the U.S. (at least if you believe this site).  I don't really know what they can do to push sales any more.  Good titles won't be enough, and I don't know if price cuts will spurn more sales.  With the Wii/360 both near 200,000 per week 100,000 is irrelavent even if it was to consumers.

cleveland124 said:
Retailer sales? As alot of retailers would like to pick up the 40 gigs to take up space on shelves :). All kidding aside PS3 is selling rather poorly in the U.S. (at least if you believe this site). I don't really know what they can do to push sales any more. Good titles won't be enough, and I don't know if price cuts will spurn more sales. With the Wii/360 both near 200,000 per week 100,000 is irrelavent even if it was to consumers.

The actual quote is:

In the week ending Nov. 11, Sony said it sold more than 100,000 consoles of all types.

Are they adding PS2 and PS3 sales together?

EDIT: Link... http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071114/sony_playstation_sales.html?.v=1

scotland yard said:
cleveland124 said:
Retailer sales? As alot of retailers would like to pick up the 40 gigs to take up space on shelves :). All kidding aside PS3 is selling rather poorly in the U.S. (at least if you believe this site). I don't really know what they can do to push sales any more. Good titles won't be enough, and I don't know if price cuts will spurn more sales. With the Wii/360 both near 200,000 per week 100,000 is irrelavent even if it was to consumers.

The actual quote is:

In the week ending Nov. 11, Sony said it sold more than 100,000 consoles of all types.

Are they adding PS2 and PS3 sales together?

EDIT: Link... http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071114/sony_playstation_sales.html?.v=1

I think they mean all types of PS3. Anyway, if this is true then VGChartz might be under-tracking ps3 sales. We will soon know but I want to believe Sony on this one. They also say that the PS3 was selling about 30k/week before the price drop. This is inline with the VGChartz tracking data.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

cleveland124 said:
Retailer sales?  As alot of retailers would like to pick up the 40 gigs to take up space on shelves :).  All kidding aside PS3 is selling rather poorly in the U.S. (at least if you believe this site).  I don't really know what they can do to push sales any more.  Good titles won't be enough, and I don't know if price cuts will spurn more sales.  With the Wii/360 both near 200,000 per week 100,000 is irrelavent even if it was to consumers.

100k is not irrelevant. It's way better than 60k :) Anyway with more games and the lower price eventually people will buy it. I have 3 friends that just bought one over this weekend. They got PS3 + Warhawk. This was after a nice Saturday at my place playing Warhawk for the whole afternoon, rofl

PS: If you ever played Warhawk you will know why they bought it :)

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

if they sold 100,000 last week and assuming other data from this website is correct Others/Japan..then Ps3 outsold 360 world wide last week.