By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PSP dying outside of Japan?

PSP has always had it´s strongest market in Japan. In America and Europe it really is struggling and has been for some time. However, it is really declining in sales now in US. The newly relased NPD numbers showed that PSP just barely managed to sell 100k for the month, that is down from 172k last January which is quite a large drop percentage wise. Softwarewise the portable is really performing poor and always has been outside of Japan.

What do you think, should Sony abondon the PSP and hurry up and release the followup? To me it seems like it´s just a dead system outside of Japan. Also, the PS2 seems to be on it´s own swansong since it only managed to sell 41,6k last month. That is not so strange though since the PS2 has sold amazingly well over a long period of time. Perhaps it´s time for Sony to stop production of the PS2 as well?

Around the Network

They need a PSP2.
Piracy rules the system, and software barely leaves the stores. No system sellers can ever be created for it. So, I'd expect to see some type of successor announced at E3. Japan sales may not be enough to justify its dismal performance worldwide.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I think it is unfortunately dying outside of Japan. I also think they should announce the PSP2 at the next E3 and to try and not make it too expensive.

I think another factor with the PSP´s increasingly weak performance (outside of Japan) is that it should make Japanese developers that consider developing games for either NDS, PSP, WII or PS3 think twice before choosing PSP. Even if the games perform well in Japan, they tank in the rest of the world. NDS, WII and PS3 should have a big advantage in this case since games for those consoles should in theory perform better overall.

samus aran rules said:

PSP has always had it´s strongest market in Japan. In America and Europe it really is struggling and has been for some time. However, it is really declining in sales now in US. The newly relased NPD numbers showed that PSP just barely managed to sell 100k for the month, that is down from 172k last January which is quite a large drop percentage wise. Softwarewise the portable is really performing poor and always has been outside of Japan.

What do you think, should Sony abondon the PSP and hurry up and release the followup? To me it seems like it´s just a dead system outside of Japan. Also, the PS2 seems to be on it´s own swansong since it only managed to sell 41,6k last month. That is not so strange though since the PS2 has sold amazingly well over a long period of time. Perhaps it´s time for Sony to stop production of the PS2 as well?

Yes, I have to say over 2 yrs ago...I was excited about the PSP....but over the yrs the lineup went down...

http://www.vgchartz.com/sigs/output.php?userid=60726%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

Around the Network

Software wise we don't exactly know how well they are doing because of downloads. I guess it's not that impressive though, because they would probably be showing off about it if it was.

Man the hardware sales have gone down to...looking to the future to see a price cut...I'm not mad at Sony for taking a risk with the PSPgo...its a step towards the future....

http://www.vgchartz.com/sigs/output.php?userid=60726%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

Sony should really release PSP2 worldwide later this year. This would give them a little head start in new handheld generation because Nintendo's next handheld will not be coming out this year. At least not outside Japan. DS is selling too much in western world to kill it with new handheld.

No, it's not dying.

It's dead since some time ago.

Imagine where it would be without the PSP go sales.