By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A way to put HD games on the current Wii....

HappySqurriel said:

Or ... Publishers could just recognize the popularity of the Wii and design some games around the Wii running at 480p @30fps, and then release versions with higher detailed models and textures that run at 720p @60fps on the HD consoles. Its really not a revolutionary problem being that (for years) PC game developers have produced games that targeted the systems the typical user owned, while providing enhanced visuals for PCs that were only owned by a handful of people (or that weren’t even available yet).

Consider a game like Half-Life 2 which ran on the original XBox, and yet it takes a system similar to the XBox 360/PS3 to play at its full detail, at a high resolution, with a constant frame rate at or above 60fps.

developers are lazy, actually they just do one version PC version, that 360 can easily play, and then port in 3-6 months the same version to the ps3.

and bang in 1 year a game with pretty graphics.

certainly wii it's popular but when  u have 64 million userbase, when more than 50% it's people that don't care about your (FPS,TPS,Action,Platforming, Racing,fighting). they will try to sell to that demographic to that demography, especially since games like wii fit, wii sport resort, and EA versions sell soo much.

wii does have it fair share of people that enjoy those kind of games, but the amount of people buying games the other kind of games it's much larger.

or make a lazy port and try to sell to those 2 consoles that that most if not all, enjoy.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
Both the snes and n64 did this.

Yes, but they were better equipped to do so. N64's RAM was removable, but Wii would have to rely on such extensions via USB, and i'm not entirely sure if the bus speed on USB 2.0 is up to the task of streaming graphics in real-time, though i forget the internal speeds of the Wii's cards in the first place.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Even if the bandwidth issue could be solved, you're essentially asking for a new console (new CPU, GPU and RAM)... it would be way too expensive.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I dont think carts were much faster in the older days..ISA was the stnadard back then.. not sure what was the bandwidth there.. but im sure USB2.0 is comparable.

In any case why does the wii need such an add-on.. It can most defntly do something between EDTV-720p.
All you would need to do is change cables..

I dont really wanna play Gow on the wii but a sharper cleaner looking SMG would be nice...

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Xoj said:
HappySqurriel said:

Or ... Publishers could just recognize the popularity of the Wii and design some games around the Wii running at 480p @30fps, and then release versions with higher detailed models and textures that run at 720p @60fps on the HD consoles. Its really not a revolutionary problem being that (for years) PC game developers have produced games that targeted the systems the typical user owned, while providing enhanced visuals for PCs that were only owned by a handful of people (or that weren’t even available yet).

Consider a game like Half-Life 2 which ran on the original XBox, and yet it takes a system similar to the XBox 360/PS3 to play at its full detail, at a high resolution, with a constant frame rate at or above 60fps.

developers are lazy, actually they just do one version PC version, that 360 can easily play, and then port in 3-6 months the same version to the ps3.

and bang in 1 year a game with pretty graphics.

certainly wii it's popular but when  u have 64 million userbase, when more than 50% it's people that don't care about your (FPS,TPS,Action,Platforming, Racing,fighting). they will try to sell to that demographic to that demography, especially since games like wii fit, wii sport resort, and EA versions sell soo much.

wii does have it fair share of people that enjoy those kind of games, but the amount of people buying games the other kind of games it's much larger.

or make a lazy port and try to sell to those 2 consoles that that most if not all, enjoy.

Even today, most PC games have several levels of detail on models, textures and pixel shader effects; and they support of mutliple resolutions and multiple levels of anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering. There are no technical limitations of what I'm suggesting, the cost difference is fairly modest (most games produced this way would still be cheaper than HD focused games), and most consumers wouldn't care that much about the difference in quality.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting this approach for games that sell multi-millions of copies on each of the HD consoles; but the majority of HD console games would benefit from the lower cost development and larger market that this approach would bring.

Around the Network

"- External Processor

- External Video

- Extra ram in the external box (Probably 256MB)"

You have no idea how absurd this sounds right? an external processor? an external video ? i would like to see the Dev kit for wii after they implement an external processor, it will make programming the cell look like a kindergarden homework.

To be able to play HD games with the same quality(graphical detail, physics, etc) as the current HD consoles you would need an addon that could be a new console in it self and would use the original Wii as a dvd drive and A/V cable (in general as a I/O device).

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

arsenicazure said:
Well the wii could support 720p... all they need is component cables first.. and a lot of tweaking.. wii's games aren't polygon or effects intensive.. It shd be able to handle 720p or sub HD (660p) resolutions fine

The GPU has the fill rate to output an HD signal, but the framebuffer is only 3MB.  Hence the 480p cap.

I don't think the market for this would be big enough to warrent it.

radha said:
"- External Processor

- External Video

- Extra ram in the external box (Probably 256MB)"

You have no idea how absurd this sounds right? an external processor? an external video ? i would like to see the Dev kit for wii after they implement an external processor, it will make programming the cell look like a kindergarden homework.

To be able to play HD games with the same quality(graphical detail, physics, etc) as the current HD consoles you would need an addon that could be a new console in it self and would use the original Wii as a dvd drive and A/V cable (in general as a I/O device).

Bingo!

But I stated all this in the original post.  Programming for it wouldn't be anymore difficult then programming for whatever processor and video card they put into the box.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Option 1 would be possible, but is a hack and not save much, maybe $50 off the cost of an entire new box, well maybe $100+ off the cost of Wii compatible mode. I could see it if they made a new box not backwards compatible, and this box.

USB just isn't fast enough for option 2 and have decent performance for games. It would introduce too much latency and saturate the USB.

Anyways, I say the likely hood of your two options combined is