By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you buy a component cable for your HDTV or did you stick with composite?

HDMI isn't possible on the WII, .... or is it?

Edit: speaking of component... does anybody know if there's some box in where you can put more than 1 component cable, like with scart cables in the past, and then being able to plug it on your TV? I also, only have 1 component input :(.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:

Component absolutely! You'll get much improvement especially when you're playing Mario Galaxy. I was comparing with composite a few days ago and the GFX gave me for the very first time a headache, so switched to the component ASAP by seeing the flawless, beautiful graphics again on my 26inc LCD TV ;) I could see Mario blinking with his eyes again *lol*

@Entroper, that's right, Harvest Moon Yasuragi no Ki, which I have, doesn't support 480p either.

The Wii doesn't have a digital output, so no HDMI.

They do make component switch boxes, but they're usually expensive.  Might be able to find a cheap one online.

All the reviews I've read of RE4: Wii Edition have said that it gets rid of the Gamecube's black bars and supports full 16:9 widescreen in progressive scan.

Shido said:
Well I have a 46" Sharp Aquos and I plugged my Wii and my 360 to it, my HDTV can show up to 1080i but I looked at a friend 42" Full HDTV(1080p) and there is mostly no difference at all. My Wii a different case, my Wii looks worse on my HDTV with composite than plugged to my 42" SDTV, so I bought the component cables for my wii and the diffence is quite notable but some games doesnt have the 480p 16:9 feature(damn you RE 4). But in games like MP 3 you will be glad that you bought the component cables for it. So buy the component cables for your Wii now!

I own RE4 it does support 16:9 and 480p. It was one of the biggest editions to the game. I still have my GC version it supported 480p but not 16:9.

@ Onna
Hay boo ... you need this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=5044118&sourceid=1500000000000003142040

I have one that's older and doesn't have the remote features. It's the only way to go if you have multiple systems. It simplifies the process and doesn't hog your TV ports - and even does optical. I highly recommend buying one.

I was using composite for five months and then switched to component for the widescreen. Never looked back. I have a 42" LCD TV also.

Edit: Whoops, it's a plasma not a LCD. Sylvania 6842THG. I adjusted the sharpness a little. The component cables brought the colours out. 

Around the Network

Component, of course! 

I upgraded to component cables and haven't looked back. The quality of the image is significantly better, even for gamecube games. I suppose if you had an LCD with a really low quality scaler unit it might help to have a blurrier image to start with, but the additional sharpness is very much welcome for anyone with a solid HDTV. 

Darc Requiem said:
Shido said:
Well I have a 46" Sharp Aquos and I plugged my Wii and my 360 to it, my HDTV can show up to 1080i but I looked at a friend 42" Full HDTV(1080p) and there is mostly no difference at all. My Wii a different case, my Wii looks worse on my HDTV with composite than plugged to my 42" SDTV, so I bought the component cables for my wii and the diffence is quite notable but some games doesnt have the 480p 16:9 feature(damn you RE 4). But in games like MP 3 you will be glad that you bought the component cables for it. So buy the component cables for your Wii now!

I own RE4 it does support 16:9 and 480p. It was one of the biggest editions to the game. I still have my GC version it supported 480p but not 16:9.

I just checked it and your right it supports 16:9, I though it was 480i  becuase I usually check how big the difference is between 480i and 480p on my games but when I checked RE 4 it looked like the same to me, so I based my comment on my experience, sorry if I confused someone.

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

I guess maybe i didn't make my point very clear but I do appreciate all the responses. I agree that composite beats component every time. Period... I understand that. What I'm seeing, though, is a Wii on composite makes everything "sharper" and jaggies seem to be much more pronounced. I guess it's a trade-off.

That said where can I get a CHEAP wii component cable? I'd prefer HDMI, of course as I have 3 unused HDMI ports and only two component ports but that isn't an option so...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:
I guess maybe i didn't make my point very clear but I do appreciate all the responses. I agree that composite beats component every time.

You mean Component beats Composite I assume. Anyways, try lowering the sharpness setting on your TV. That may help with the jaggies. Also is your 360 hooked up with HDMI? I'd recommend that since you can use it as an upscale player then. Newegg.com has plenty of cheap HDMI cables for sale.

kn said:
I guess maybe i didn't make my point very clear but I do appreciate all the responses. I agree that composite beats component every time. Period... I understand that. What I'm seeing, though, is a Wii on composite makes everything "sharper" and jaggies seem to be much more pronounced. I guess it's a trade-off.

That said where can I get a CHEAP wii component cable? I'd prefer HDMI, of course as I have 3 unused HDMI ports and only two component ports but that isn't an option so...

Cheap Wii component cables are available at monoprice.com

If you're seeing nasty jagginess with the component cables, it's probably a problem with your LCD scaler.  If you have a scaler that doesn't do high quality scaling, then you'll get a very jaggy result as you upscale to a fixed pixel display like an LCD.  When I bought my set, I purposely went with a set that had the highest quality scaler I could find, since much of my content (from DVDs to the Wii to previous consoles) would be standard quality, and it was important to me that such content looked good as well as 1080i/p and other HD content.