By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you buy a component cable for your HDTV or did you stick with composite?

Yeah, I meant component is better than composite always. I haven't actually tried it on my LCD yet. The games on the Sammy at my local gamestop are pretty nasty looking. They are Samsung HD LCD screens and I can see the component cable so that's what I'm basing my opinion on. I'll buy a cheap one and see how it goes. The sharp aquos is a pretty good TV.

Also, I don't have a newer 360 so I don't have an HDMI port. Until now, that didn't bother me but man, I sure wish I had one. I have a computer regularly hooked into the VGA port so right now my 360 is on component... I also have a component feed from my DVD player. If you are keeping count, that's 3 component systems and my TV only has 2 component ins. I do have 3 extra HDMI ports, though, lol....

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I got component.

It wasn't a huge improvement, but it was noticeable. I didn't get component cables because I'm an AV nut, I got them because 16-bit VC games + composite + some HDTVs = fail. I was pretty annoyed when Super Mario World and Shining Force didn't work.

I can see how you might like composite better if jaggies bug you. I do prefer the crisp image, personally.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Kn, I'll tell you this. As far as I know, you can still run the Wii on 480i/576i over component. So, even if you like the blurryness of the interlaced mode on your Wii better, you'll still be able to take advantage of the better colors. If you can part with the $10-30 for the cables, I'd give it a shot anyway.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
kn said:

Also, I don't have a newer 360 so I don't have an HDMI port. Until now, that didn't bother me but man, I sure wish I had one. I have a computer regularly hooked into the VGA port so right now my 360 is on component... I also have a component feed from my DVD player. If you are keeping count, that's 3 component systems and my TV only has 2 component ins. I do have 3 extra HDMI ports, though, lol....

Bummer. Could try and hook up your computer with a DVI/HDMI cable if your has a port for DVI. Free up the VGA slot. But my computer always seemed messed up on DVI/HDMI vs. VGA on my TV. =P

Just 1 quick question...

How much is an official Nintendo Wii component cable?! In euro's ... Maybe i'll pick it up tomorrow while im getting Super Mario Galaxy (that's right... I'm getting the game 1 day before launch )...

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

@Startcraft, as most Nintendo things €1=$1 - it's €30.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
KruzeS said:
@Startcraft, as most Nintendo things €1=$1 - it's €30.

Ah shit... I only have 75 euro's (i'm a 16-year old)...

Well... Then i'll do it like this:

Super Mario Galaxy (pre-order): 59.99 euro's.

Dürüm Döner (That's Turkish food... We have those guys alot in our country, so alot of those shops too). 4.50 euro.

Ticket for the Dutch Gameplay convention ~10 euro's (that's like the Leipzig gameconvention. Only difference is that it's Dutch and a little smaller... Still big though)

THE NETHERLANDS

KruzeS said:
Kn, I'll tell you this. As far as I know, you can still run the Wii on 480i/576i over component. So, even if you like the blurryness of the interlaced mode on your Wii better, you'll still be able to take advantage of the better colors. If you can part with the $10-30 for the cables, I'd give it a shot anyway.

It's not the interlacing that makes it blurry, it's the phsyical transport (the cables, in this case). Component are a lot sharper than composite, regardless of whether or not you choose to enable progressive scan.

On my set (1080p DLP), for example, it appears to make no difference whether I use progressive scan or interlaced from the Wii, but switching to component made things look *significantly* sharper.

Comparison shots here:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/the-story-of-wii-component-cables-exorbitantly-priced-on-ebay-worth-it-217054.php

It would be even more obvious in a game with better textures, like SMG.  As you can see, the texture detail is far better, the color is better, etc.  The composite ones give me a headache.

I own 46 inch sony bravia.  1080p

Here is all you need to know!

Sony PS3 looks way better with hdmi cables.
360 looks way better with hdmi cables.
Wii looks worse with hd cables.

I'm running the Wii on a 1080i capable 34 inch CRT HDTV. Without the component cables, Zelda looked like a blurry, colorless mess. Much worse than almost any gamecube game through component cables. With the component cables, it is much better.

The main difference is color: The colors are brighter, and have way more 'range' than through composite cables. I guess that I don't see any extra pixellation because a CRT comes built in with a mild blur, instead of hard pixels like an LCD does. Much better for image quality IMO, but you have the limitations of huge weight, and thus no way of getting a CRT larger than 34 inches.