By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Heavy Rain Reviews Are In

Severance said:
patapon said:
Pft, screw the crow. Somebody give me a hawk, a big juicy hawk.

Screw hawks i want your sole.

You're not punny!!! <_<

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:
Wow I guess I'm really not in the "know." What is the CROW joke all about? What does that mean??? I'm so confused haha. From context clues, it seems like it's a term for someone who was wrong about a prediction? Someone fill me in here, feel kinda dumb...

That's right. Not sure how it originated, but it's the word that's used.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Found something, from Wikipedia:

Eating crow (archaically, eating boiled crow) is an English-language idiom meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proven wrong after taking a strong position.[1] Eating crow is presumably foul-tasting in the same way that being proven wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.[1] Eating crow is of a family of idioms having to do with eating and being proven incorrect, such as to "eat dirt", to "eat your words", and to "eat your hat" (or shoe).[1]

Its original form, to eat boiled crow, first appeared in the 1850s in America.[1] Its exact origin is unknown but there are a number of explanations.

It may be related to the English idiom to eat humble pie.[1] The English phrase is something of a pun—"umbles" were the intestines, offal and other less valued meats of a deer. Pies made of this were known to be served to those of lesser class who did not eat at the king’s/lord’s/governor’s table. Another dish likely to be served with humble pie is rook pie (rooks being closely related to crows).

It may also be the American version of "umble," since the Oxford English Dictionary defines crow (sb3) as meaning "intestine or mesentery of an animal" and cites usages from the 1600s into the 1800s (e.g., Farley, Lond Art of Cookery: "the harslet, which consists of the liver, crow, kidneys, and skirts." [2]

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Personally, it's not my type of game, but I'm glad it getting such good reviews.

Love Mir Forever!!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB
My Favorite Jrpg Series: Ar Tonelico, Lunar, Tales of, Star Ocean, Final Fantasy, Atelier/Mana Khemia, Suikoden, Grandia, Wild arms, and Disgaea.

pitzy272 said:
theprof00 said:
WTF why is a ps3 troll reviewing ps3 games? I'm talking about Jim Surly from Destructard.

Why do u say they're a ps3 troll? Do they review most ps3 games low? I never knew this, what ps3 games have they reviewed poorly in the past?

Well, not really destructoid. Destructoid only sucks by proxy. Jim Sterling is the big culprit here.

First of all, he writes blogs about how 360 is better than ps3 and while they start off as creatively written satire, they quickly devolve as he forgets that he is just joking and starts making actual arguments over superficial crap like why achievements are better than trophies. In that specific article that I will link below, he actually does not start off with any satirical fisticuffs and is 100% serious about the subject. Of course though, in his article about why FF13 will be better on 360 than on ps3, it's actually a good read, and then he starts talking about how trophies require a sync before the game. It's like he forgets that he is supposed to be covering up the fact that he's a fanboy and let's one slip.

http://www.destructoid.com/ps3-trophies-and-how-they-underachieve-130646.phtml

http://www.destructoid.com/ffxiii-xbox-360-will-be-blatantly-better-than-ffxiii-ps3-157001.phtml

"Well, that's not real evidence that he's a troll", you might say.

http://www.destructoid.com/is-heavy-rain-doing-videogames-a-disservice--162102.phtml

He's made up his mind about the game before he even set out to play it. My problem is that not only has this reviewer let preconcieved notions cloud his critique, but d-toid knowingly had this guy review the game despite both his obvious console bias and his article trashing heavy rain before he even plays it.

EDIT: Not to mention that in the comments section he wrote, "I gave it a 7 because I liked it". I'm sorry, but those words do not match up properly. A 7 is low no matter what rubric you're using, and the justifications he uses goes completely against everything everyone else is saying.

Around the Network

^ true. The guy from destructoid was expecting a movie. He, and only he says the game aspires to be a movie, and then says (twice by the end of his critique) that HR is "lucky to be a videogame" wtf ? he hated the story, he hated the voice acting, first he says NOTHING you do ever matters, and then says a couple of lines below you can influence what happens? wtf?? poor reviewer. He actually starts off calling David Cage arrogant...what a douchebag.

lol, Jim Sterling's FFXIII article is most def. satire.

His achievements vs trophies not so much. I do agree that the PS3 lacks the identity and it'd be nice to have hitting the PS button take you to a trophy if it is within X number of seconds from getting it. Beyond that, he has no points in that article.

Reading his heavy rain one now.

AND...how exactly does Metacritic work???? I have noticed they choose (at random? wtf? what?) which reviews to include for a particular game? I mean, destructoid for example, they have written reviews about games like GTA4, MGS4, Assassin's Creed and AC2, however none of those reviews figure on the metacritic page...why may I ask? The metacritic system is faulty, is fishy, and is by no means the bar any game should be measured by. It's a good recollection of reviews, that's it. That metascore means shit.

EncodedNybble said:
lol, Jim Sterling's FFXIII article is most def. satire.

His achievements vs trophies not so much. I do agree that the PS3 lacks the identity and it'd be nice to have hitting the PS button take you to a trophy if it is within X number of seconds from getting it. Beyond that, he has no points in that article.

Reading his heavy rain one now.

did you read what I wrote? I said that the ff13 one was satire, and then he just forgot that he was making a joke article and threw his trophy belief in there.

His Heavy Rain review seems mostly to be a rant against the fact that quantic dream dared to compare it to a movie and that that somehow degrades videogames...

Aside from that, his mentioning how nothing matters seems odd, as I and another reviewer shared NOTHING at the end. I had different endings for each and every character. Explain that if nothing you do matters.

And about Madison Paige, she is first and foremost a journalist, not a photographer.