By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Galaxy Review--SPONSORED BY SONY!

cAPSLOCK said:

I stumbled across this review of Mario Galaxy last night on Variety. It's pretty blatantly obvious that they're bashing the game because of Sony sponsorship. I don't mean in a subtle way, I mean blantant advertising while bashing Galaxy. An example of the review:

@BenKenobi88

There's a difference between talking about a reviewer's opinion and accusing them of being paid off.

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Uh...pointing out a reviewer's fanboyism can't get you a lawsuit.

Provable libel with malicious intent can.

Legend obviously doesn't know much about the law.... Besides the article clearly states at the top in a FLASH BILLBOARD "Sponsered by Sony" so it isn't like Variety doesn't want people to know who their sponsers are.

either way this guy is a joke trying to say the controls for zelda were bad...i stopped reading after that

Words Of Wisdom said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Uh...pointing out a reviewer's fanboyism can't get you a lawsuit.

Provable libel with malicious intent can.

So Nintendo could win a suit against Ben Fritz (Variety Writer)?

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
cAPSLOCK said:

I stumbled across this review of Mario Galaxy last night on Variety. It's pretty blatantly obvious that they're bashing the game because of Sony sponsorship. I don't mean in a subtle way, I mean blantant advertising while bashing Galaxy. An example of the review:

"Fans may claim that the graphics are good “for the Wii,” but that argument quickly grows tired. There’s clever art design on many of the planets Mario visits, but given the vastly superior quality of the graphics in a game like “Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction,” currently available for the PS3, “Galaxy” looks old fashioned and lifeless."

Needless to say it's a pretty funny review, so I sent it to Joystiq and Kotaku so they could enjoy the laughs, too.

So I go back to Joystiq this morning and the article is up!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/14/variety-says-mario-galaxy-shows-wiis-weaknesses/

Only problem?

They linked to this version of the article:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935396.html?categoryid=1023&cs=1

And I sent them this version of the article (notice "Sponsored by Sony" near the top)

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935396.html?categoryid=1269&cs=1

Maybe joystiq loves flamebait instead of actual comedy news?

I've looked at Ben Fritz's other reviews and they seem to point out flaws in other games as well and from the ones I've played they seem to be pretty spot on. He also seems to be a well respected journalist. So what exactly are you claiming? That he is being paid off by Sony? Do you have any proof of this or are you just basically trying to defame the guy and Variety as well? My guess for the reason why Joystiq didn't go with your claim is because they likely didn't want to be on the receiving end of a lawsuit. Somehow I doubt you would be there with proof to help defend them or to pay their legal fees.

Ummm, what part of "sponsored by Sony" don't you understand??  By definition, he is being paid by Sony.  To think this would have no influence on his reviews is very naive.

Ben Fritz is well respected according to whom??  Have any links? 

@Legend11

Links to other reviews from this guy, please? :)

The point this guy makes clear in this review is that he just doesn't like the Wii. So obviously he cannot be objective in his review of a Wii game.

A good journalist would NOT write a review when he cannot be objective. If someone doesn't like shooters and gives a Halo 3 a lousy review, would you respect his opinion?

mancandy said:
Mario is vulnerable to Ratchet & Clank?

hahahahahahahaha

yeah i agree with you,but ratchet is a very good game

@fazz

Here's his Halo 3 review:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117934851.html?categoryid=1023&cs=1