By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dragon Age: Origins, Left 4 Dead 2 sales hit 3 million units!

Xelloss said:
De85 said:
I guess since these numbers are from EA they are only for retail sales and have nothing to do with Steam because otherwise the PC numbers for L4D would be absolutely abysmal.

For L4D you are absolutely correct, EA numbers only covers what EA handles which for L4D was ofc only retail.

The interesting thing is the DAO numbers proved yet again that PC is far from dead and the PC version well outsold the PS3 version and most likely out revenued the 360 version. Go PC.

Well considering that Dragon Age was made with the PC version in mind and that it played completely differently and most would say better on PC has more to do with its sales than anything. Try making the same comparison with countless other games this gen and the numbers won't hold up as well.

Although don't tell Shio this unless you want to hear about how COD4 sold 10 million on PC with no proof what so ever to back it up.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network

I wonder how many copies DAO sold through Steam (and any other D2D channels). Using VGC numbers, that puts DAO PC retail sales at 1.27 million copies. That is very respectable considering I figured most PC users have moved to D2D services.

Munkeh111 said:
That FIFA figure indicates it may be undertracked, it only seems to be at about 8m, not 10m, and 2m of stock seems a little high

2 mill of a total shipment of 10 million is only 20%. 20% sitting unsold at retail in a very small time-frame of 3-4 months is not strange at all. It certainly is not undertracked, especially as tons of FIFA games always end up in the bargain bin when the next edition is released only one year after.

Xelloss said:
De85 said:
I guess since these numbers are from EA they are only for retail sales and have nothing to do with Steam because otherwise the PC numbers for L4D would be absolutely abysmal.

For L4D you are absolutely correct, EA numbers only covers what EA handles which for L4D was ofc only retail.

The interesting thing is the DAO numbers proved yet again that PC is far from dead and the PC version well outsold the PS3 version and most likely out revenued the 360 version. Go PC.

How on earth did u reach that conclusion? Especially the bolded part.

A 2.7 mill shipment in Nov-Dec 2009 and only tiny actual sales after the new year suggests that the current theoretical maximum sales number for Dragon Age is 2.7 million on 3 platforms. If we go by VGC numbers the X360 version has sold 1.3 mill and PS3 0.6 mill, which leaves only 0.8 mill maximum for the PC version, which sells for $10-20 less than the console versions at retail.

largedarryl said:
I wonder how many copies DAO sold through Steam (and any other D2D channels). Using VGC numbers, that puts DAO PC retail sales at 1.27 million copies. That is very respectable considering I figured most PC users have moved to D2D services.

If you assume that the shipment of 3.2 million all sold out to customers, which of course it didn't. There's lots of copies on the shelves, so assume at least 500k on store shelves. Which drops your 1.27 mill of PC version to 0.77 mill tops.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
largedarryl said:

If you assume that the shipment of 3.2 million all sold out to customers, which of course it didn't. There's lots of copies on the shelves, so assume at least 500k on store shelves. Which drops your 1.27 mill of PC version to 0.77 mill tops.

However, as many people are quick to point out on this site, the retail space for PC games is very small relative to the console space so it may well be a lot more than 0.77 millions sold to consumers, not "at least".

Slimebeast said:
Xelloss said:
De85 said:

How on earth did u reach that conclusion? Especially the bolded part.

A 2.7 mill shipment in Nov-Dec 2009 and only tiny actual sales after the new year suggests that the current theoretical maximum sales number for Dragon Age is 2.7 million on 3 platforms. If we go by VGC numbers the X360 version has sold 1.3 mill and PS3 0.6 mill, which leaves only 0.8 mill maximum for the PC version, which sells for $10-20 less than the console versions at retail.

No licensing fees and far more money made (profit margin) from purely digital downloads? No packaging costs and just some server time suggests that actually it's very profitable for EA and Bioware.

wow @ dragon age origins!

A new IP did 3 Million +

This is fantastic!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Slimebeast said:
largedarryl said:

Well mistakes happen when I type up a response quickly.  Its hard to say what the actual breakdown would be, but keep in mind that all these numbers will be for retail copies alone.  So unless someone can prove differently, I was under the impression PC retail sales were dead (this is from my personal experience of attempting to track down retail PC games).

Munkeh111 said:
That FIFA figure indicates it may be undertracked, it only seems to be at about 8m, not 10m, and 2m of stock seems a little high

dont forget PC and Steam.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.