By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Best Games OVERALL! (And the winner is....)

Slimebeast said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with u about the importance and quality of Halo, but I wonder how u came to those conclusions about Half life 2.

I don't like HL2 either, because it's linear, indoors, i didnt like the story etc, it's just not for me. But I sort of 'trust' that there must be qualities to this game since so many sophisticated people praise it lol. Just like u implied with the PC Gamer thing. Actually going back 3-4 years I thought this extreme praising of H2 was just a PC Gamer thing (I always subscribed to the magazine), but later i learned that all big online sites and gamers on forums etc seemed to highly appreciate HL2 as well, so then I thought it can't be a thing created by PC Gamer.

I thought there was going to be something to Half Life 2 as well, but I guess it relies to much on an unknown backstory if you'v never played the first, and a dated FPS style.

Even if all the big online sites liked HL2, it could still be just following the verteran opinion from PC Gamer. All the people I know who like it are slightly pretentious, and have great difficulty explaining the games merits - it's all "I like it 'cuz" reasoning, which is the same reasoning I could use to say why any game is 'good'.

The easiest modern day comparison to make is to MW2. Loads of people like it, but some really are adamant that the game is medicore. I think the way to solve these kind of disputes is to have new gamers play the games when they are considered out of the public eye/media and see what they think. If it is good, it should stand the test of time. If not, well that's saying something. For me HL2 hasn't stood the test of time as the first time I played it was a few weeks ago, and really did not enjoy much.

Around the Network
EncodedNybble said:
I agree with Mazty up until he started saying that Halo was the FPS with the most impact :-p

it is among teens

Fuck... I'm dead!

Mazty said:
Slimebeast said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with u about the importance and quality of Halo, but I wonder how u came to those conclusions about Half life 2.

I don't like HL2 either, because it's linear, indoors, i didnt like the story etc, it's just not for me. But I sort of 'trust' that there must be qualities to this game since so many sophisticated people praise it lol. Just like u implied with the PC Gamer thing. Actually going back 3-4 years I thought this extreme praising of H2 was just a PC Gamer thing (I always subscribed to the magazine), but later i learned that all big online sites and gamers on forums etc seemed to highly appreciate HL2 as well, so then I thought it can't be a thing created by PC Gamer.

I thought there was going to be something to Half Life 2 as well, but I guess it relies to much on an unknown backstory if you'v never played the first, and a dated FPS style.

Even if all the big online sites liked HL2, it could still be just following the verteran opinion from PC Gamer. All the people I know who like it are slightly pretentious, and have great difficulty explaining the games merits - it's all "I like it 'cuz" reasoning, which is the same reasoning I could use to say why any game is 'good'.

The easiest modern day comparison to make is to MW2. Loads of people like it, but some really are adamant that the game is medicore. I think the way to solve these kind of disputes is to have new gamers play the games when they are considered out of the public eye/media and see what they think. If it is good, it should stand the test of time. If not, well that's saying something. For me HL2 hasn't stood the test of time as the first time I played it was a few weeks ago, and really did not enjoy much.

I agree it's slightly pretentious people who are praising it because they 'want' it to be good. I hate pretentious. So did it really start with PC Gamer? That is so interesting, cos I always got that impression like I said.

Heh, I'm glad you posted your little Half-Life 2 rant. I think I'll go back to what my instincts say - that HL2 simply isn't good.

A very good list, but I'd so some number rearranging, outside of number 1. It's no doubt that Half Life 2 deserves to take that number 1 spot. But I think Resident Evil 4 DEFINITELY needs to be on that list. Moreso than Fallout 3 or Uncharted 2 or Battlefield 1942. And couldn't help but think that either Metroid Prime or Halo 1 should make an appearance.

But was actually a fairly good list, but I'm most disappointed in RE4 not being there. Especially to be beat out by Uncharted 2, which don't get me wrong is a great game, but in more ways than one owes a lot of its style and gameplay really to Resident Evil 4.

Some amazing titles here but I would have really have loved to see MGS3 and RE4 somewhere on the list.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

The problem I have with this list is the structure of the list itself.

In other words, PC and console gaming worlds are not the same. Sometimes they intersect, but often there are unique experiences on each that are only possible on each. This is not unlike console and handheld gaming.

As for the choices, they appear to be surprisingly solid.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

No Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Zelda or Metroid Prime in the top ten but theres Uncharted 2 and Okami?

Heck I would put Mass Effect, Halo 2 and Gears of War over those two games and Battlefield 1942 too.

They were doing ok with their top ten lists for each year but their overall top ten is just a big mess.

And did anyone see their top ten movies? That list is so bad I honestly think its a joke. Just looking at 300 on the list makes me laugh.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Pretty good list! That is so sexy that Fallout 3 made the list!! I'm also glad to see Uncharted 2!

One thing that I hate is "best of" lists that confuse "best" with "no influential."

For example, 2 things on this list (counter strike and HL2) were, arguably, pretty decent games at the time and has so innovative elements to them. But, in the years after them, there have been many games that take their same formula and just do them better and I will argue that those later games are indeed better games, just not as influential.

Zucas said:
A very good list, but I'd so some number rearranging, outside of number 1. It's no doubt that Half Life 2 deserves to take that number 1 spot. But I think Resident Evil 4 DEFINITELY needs to be on that list. Moreso than Fallout 3 or Uncharted 2 or Battlefield 1942. And couldn't help but think that either Metroid Prime or Halo 1 should make an appearance.

But was actually a fairly good list, but I'm most disappointed in RE4 not being there. Especially to be beat out by Uncharted 2, which don't get me wrong is a great game, but in more ways than one owes a lot of its style and gameplay really to Resident Evil 4.

Really now?