By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS1 vs PS2 vs PS3 hardware shipments comparison

Viper1 said:
One other thing to remember is that prior to April 1, 2007, Sony reported their shipped numbers as units manufactured. As of that date they began using the industry standard method of reporting units sold to retail/distributors.

This means that all of the PS and the PS2/PS3 before that data (making it the first PS3 FY) were manufactured units, not shipped.

Quite the confusing scenario when you try to take all the nuances into account.

That shift in 2007 is also when both Sony and MS stopped reporting quarterly shipments to each of the 3 main territories (Japan, Europe and America). VGC used to have a nice chart that broke down all those shipments but when MS and Sony stopped providing the numbers, they took down the chart.

That explains why they suddenly used a different chart after 2006 and why there was a difference between my calculations and the numbers the website showed for 2007. (The difference wasn't big, though. Definitely less than a million obviously,  but I'm too lazy to check right now).

I'd like to hear more opinions, though. Anyone else thinking the PS3 might peak after 2010? It looks rather unlikely to me (see my calculations below) but if anyone can provide a well thought out analysis I'd glady read through it.

Around the Network

I for one think next FY will be their best sofar... Larger catalogue, big(gest) games coming, full year of 'lower' price.
More HD tv's affordable so Blu-Ray makes it interesting and i read somewhere that Sony can make the PS3 support 3D-movies in the future which means the system gets more and more interesting.

Would be nice if someone would do the same for XBox 360 and PS3. I am probably not the right person to do so as even this harmless poll by me got sensored with providing reasoning:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=100564&page=1&str=1698978570#

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ weaveworld

I don't think 3D will take off just like that.

It's still a "gimmick", you have to hear glasses if you want to be inside the experience.

In my opinion, it will take off when AutoStereoscopic TV's (3D with naked eye, no glasses) become affordable... Sometime next gen.

Interesting that the ps3 is still slightly ahead of the ps3 cumulatively. Though that will dissapate as time goes on. Its crazy that the 2nd and 3rd places in the console market can be so successful. The industry sure has grown since then.

Around the Network
Bamboleo said:
@ weaveworld

It's still a "gimmick", you have to hear glasses if you want to be inside the experience.

In my opinion, it will take off when AutoStereoscopic TV's (3D with naked eye, no glasses) become affordable... Sometime next gen.

Oh i know it will take some time to take off, but the first 3d tv's are arriving and there will always be people who want to enjoy the experience with glasses. People like gimmicks you know...just to be the 'first'

PS4 IS DOOMED!

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

PS3 is gonna fall behind big time now (behind PS1) as the PS1 starts shipping around 20 million a year.

Still strong sales for PS3!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

weaveworld said:
Bamboleo said:
@ weaveworld

Oh i know it will take some time to take off, but the first 3d tv's are arriving and there will always be people who want to enjoy the experience with glasses. People like gimmicks you know...just to be the 'first'

Introducing 3D games sounds like a rather bad move to broaden the appeal of the console, though. You need a 3D TV to play those games, right? And those TV's are very expensive. So instead of investing money to broaden the appeal of their console SONY moves to higher tier market segments (which means less customers but more money spent by each individual customer) which is the opposite of what Nintendo is doing. Moving to higher tier market segments means you try to fulfill the needs of high demanding customers which are willing to spend more money than the average customer. Not to say this is something bad, though. It just means SONY will spend money and research time on things only a certain number of customers demand. As long as they can keep the low demanding customers (most of the forum users here, for instance) satisfied they could very well expand their reach into higher market segments and thus increase the appeal of their products.(Same goes for the PSP GO, by the way. If you offer download only you instantly abandon a huge market segment - people that don't feel comfortable or don't know how to download things. Read Iwata's comments from the investor briefing where he talks about internet connection rates to know where I come from on this one)

Microsoft seems to take the other route, btw. Natal looks like it tries to cater to a mass market. But they'll have to compete with Nintendo in this segment so this could go wrong - with Iwata forcing the Motion+ Zelda to be released this year and games like Dynamic Slash/Reginleiv and the Motion+ game Miyamoto mentioned it looks like Nintendo will focus on motion based games this christmas season. Which is clearly a reaction to the motion controllers of the competition.

So this could very well expand to some kind of funny competition: SONY is trying to move to higher market segments while competing with Nintendo, Microsoft is trying to move down while keeping its reputation as a hightech console, Nintendo is trying to move up while countering Microsofts moves... this could get very interesting.

Personally I trust Iwata the most when it comes to business decisions. (Kazuo) Hirai still has to prove himself and Ballmer is... well, Ballmer. I have no idea how much he is involved in the Xbxo business, by the way. Microsoft is not really interesting to study when it comes to business. Too big of a company, they can throw billions of $ at a project so yeah...

This is only from a business perspective, by the way, not about my personal "favourite company". I'd also buy a more expensive car than a cheap one but I wouldn't invest in a company that produces luxus-cars only.

I wasn't talking about 3D games you know...