By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS1 vs PS2 vs PS3 hardware shipments comparison

You guys had that discussion about PS3 vs PS1 performance in the Sony forum so I thought I might just as well scrub in. This picture shows yearly shipments of Sony consoles (Fiscal Year). It might be a bit off sometimes as I was a bit tired while working on it and the reports were a bit screwed up so tell me if I made any mistakes but it should be fine overall. Numbers are in millions of units, obviously. The PS3 number for Fiscal Year 4 is the projected 13 million units of Playstation 3 hardware SONY forecasted.

Yearly Shipments: *

And here are the cumulative numbers: *

I'll just let you guys come up with your PS3 hardware numbers for this year. Something between 10-15 million looks save, though.

And this is where I got the numbers from.

Any opinions and/or predictions?

*Fiscal Year 1 includes only Japan shipments for both PS1 and PS2 as the consoles saw staggered launches but includes all 3 major territories in the Playstation 3 graph as it was released in all 3 markets during one fiscal year.

Around the Network

Opinion: nice graph, not very bad ps3 sales considering this year should beat last year

Prediction: nah

PS1 is doomed.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

nice work

gurglesletch said:
nice work

It was rather annoying to be honest That website didn't have a proper structure for shipments at all, one Fiscal Year ended in April and another one showed 39m PS1 instead of 89m which kinda... screwed my graph before I realized it was just a mistake

So do you guys think the PS3 can reach 100m units? I think it depends on the legs, the PS1 dropped off pretty fast after two years of huge sales so if it starts outselling the PS1 from fiscal year 7-10 it should have a chance but I don't know if that is likely.

Around the Network

i'm expecting slow incline but consistent thru the coming fiscal years, reaching it peak by around 2012.

The PS/PS2 and PS3 had different staggered launches so the first 2 FY's shipment patterns cannot be compared without that context. It's basically comparing the world (PS3) against Japan (PS/PS2).

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I'll just let you guys come up with your PS3 hardware numbers for this year. Something between 10-15 million looks save, though

The PS3 is already at 10.8 million with one more quarter to go...

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

as I said in the other "PS3 selling on par with PS1" topic, that is only happening because of PS1 very weak take off at the beginning of the 5th gen.

That doesn't prove at all that PS3 is selling really good nor is on track to reach PS1 sales.

Awesome thread!

MikeB said:
I'll just let you guys come up with your PS3 hardware numbers for this year. Something between 10-15 million looks save, though

The PS3 is already at 10.8 million with one more quarter to go...

I was talking about the next fiscal year (2011) starting April. The projected 13 million units SONY plans to ship this fiscal year is already included in the graph. Sorry if that statement wasn't clear.