By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - FF13 360 to use Bink for cutscenes,360 720p vs 1080p PS3 Cutscenes

daroamer said:
selnor said:
Wagram said:
There was CGI in Mass Effect 2. A bunch of them in fact. That was not all in-game.

When and where? This is one of those times I wish texture pop in still existed in ME2. Now it's gone people claim it has CGI. LOL. Great thing about ME1 ( which uses Bink Video ) was the texture popin all the way through proved it was ingame. I guess it looks to good for some people. Bioware can take that as a compliment. There is a CGI trailer of ME2. ME2 in any of it's cutscenes does not look that good. ME2 definately has no CGI.

Selnor, you're wrong.  The ship landing sequence on Omega is clearly a video, not ingame engine.  There are others as well but that's the first example that comes to mind.

Well we are looking at 2 different cutscenes then. Because the CGI trailer is CGI and the Omega landing is clearly ingame against the CGI stuff Bioware did for the trailer. ME1 had no CGI, and Ive not seen any in ME2.

Around the Network
augustoaag said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

The back of the box for the Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII has revealed that the 360 version of the game will utilize Bink video, likely for compression of the game's many cutscenes.

The Bink Video logo is displayed clearly on the back of the box. Bink have special video tools designed for the Xbox 360 and they have been used in RPGs such as Borderlands, Mass Effect and Square Enix's The Last Remnant. The Japanese PS3 version of FF13 did not use Bink.

The Bink webpage indicates that the codec will show 720p video. The Japanese PS3 version of the game had the game's 40+ minutes of FMV encoded at uncompressed 1080p.

US retailer GameStop released the image of the back of the box, which also suggested the game will have Downloadable Content.

http://www.uffsite.net/news/354/ff13-360-to-use-bink-for-cutscene-compression.html

This shows the power of blue ray: will it have a 22 minutes 5GB installation like bioshock?

Why do so many people have over the top exaggerations about install times... 5 gigs takes maybe 7-8 mins

Add that to the list of PS3 has no games. PS3 is Domed!!1q and whatever else

selnor said:
daroamer said:
selnor said:
Wagram said:
There was CGI in Mass Effect 2. A bunch of them in fact. That was not all in-game.

When and where? This is one of those times I wish texture pop in still existed in ME2. Now it's gone people claim it has CGI. LOL. Great thing about ME1 ( which uses Bink Video ) was the texture popin all the way through proved it was ingame. I guess it looks to good for some people. Bioware can take that as a compliment. There is a CGI trailer of ME2. ME2 in any of it's cutscenes does not look that good. ME2 definately has no CGI.

Selnor, you're wrong.  The ship landing sequence on Omega is clearly a video, not ingame engine.  There are others as well but that's the first example that comes to mind.

Well we are looking at 2 different cutscenes then. Because the CGI trailer is CGI and the Omega landing is clearly ingame against the CGI stuff Bioware did for the trailer. ME1 had no CGI, and Ive not seen any in ME2.

What is your definition of CGI?  We're talking about some segments being video and not real time rendered.  I don't know if the landing on Omega is done using the in-game engine but it's clearly video.  I'm playing on a 106" screen and the soft picture quality of that scene is quite drastically different than the sharpness of in-game cutscenes.   As JaggedSac said, I can see the compression artifacts on those scenes.

There's no CGI, get over it.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

daroamer said:
selnor said:
daroamer said:
selnor said:
Wagram said:

What is your definition of CGI?  We're talking about some segments being video and not real time rendered.  I don't know if the landing on Omega is done using the in-game engine but it's clearly video.  I'm playing on a 106" screen and the soft picture quality of that scene is quite drastically different than the sharpness of in-game cutscenes.   As JaggedSac said, I can see the compression artifacts on those scenes.

CGI is not using in game assests. Like Square Enix FF games. CGI, is a scene completely designed using Computer Generated Imagery of the highest standard. No boundries at ALL. With enough time and Effort all CGI cutscenes could look like The Spirits within. That is CGI. Or what some people used to call FMV.

Around the Network

CGI is not using in game assests. Like Square Enix FF games. CGI, is a scene completely designed using Computer Generated Imagery of the highest standard. No boundries at ALL. With enough time and Effort all CGI cutscenes could look like The Spirits within. That is CGI. Or what some people used to call FMV.

I still call it FMV - I'm oldschool like that.

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

selnor said:
daroamer said:
selnor said:
daroamer said:
selnor said:
Wagram said:

Then that wasn't you were originally replying to.  This thread is about the quality of the prerecorded video being used in FF13 on the PS3 vs on the Xbox 360.

What JaggedSac said was "Mass Effect 2 cutscenes look compressed to hell(the non in-game engine ones). Doesn't bother me any. I am not playing FF, just figured I'd throw in my two cents."

Regardless of whether he was right about them using the in-game engine or not, there ARE some scenes in ME2 that are VIDEO.  You may not classify them as "CGI" but it's still video which was the point he was making.  Technically all video games are CGI since everything is being rendered by a computer, it's just low quality because it's rendered in real time but that doesn't mean it's not being rendered.  However, I'm aware that when people say "CGI" they usually mean prerecorded video which is rendered and animated at much higher standards.

GodOfWar_3ever said:
selnor said:
Without a doubt the PS3 version is the definitive version. But it wont matter to much. Differences are only a bit sharper according to IGN.

well, this means theres absolutely no reason for a PS360 owner to buy the 360 version,

No multiplayer, so LIVE advantage gone

PS3 has better cutscenes, and visuals overall...

No need to swap discs

QFT

There is no doubt that the PS3 version is superior given that the person has both consoles.  Although this in no way says the 360 wil be a bad port - since the differences won't be that tremendous.

dsister44 said:
Hero_time88 said:
kowenicki said:

Yep still 360....

my favoured console, my favoured controller and my favoured tally (achievements over trophies) why does this offend people....? it really is none of your business.

Okay, your lose.

Lose what?

stuff

CUTSCENES

WHO CARES ABOUT CUTSCENES???

Maybe it's the fact that Sony was once on top of the mountain in this industry, and the fall from grace has been swift and brutal. The worst thing about being on top is the fall to the bottom, and maybe the transition from PS2 dominance to PS3 heel-dragging has had a damaging effect on the fanboy psyche, leaving them vulnerable and insecure. Maybe fanboys are suffering from a severe case of paranoid delusion, brought about by denial that the PS3 is in third place when once Sony was leading the charge.

-- Jim Sterling