By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - FF13 360 to use Bink for cutscenes,360 720p vs 1080p PS3 Cutscenes

JaggedSac said:
selnor said:
JaggedSac said:
Mass Effect 2 cutscenes look compressed to hell(the non in-game engine ones). Doesn't bother me any. I am not playing FF, just figured I'd throw in my two cents.

All of ME2 is in engine. there is no CGI.

No, I am certain that several of the spaceship scenes were CG, and these are the ones I am talking about.  Especially the ones right after going through the Omega 4 relay.

No. CGI Mass Effect looks different. It's all enhanced game engine. Like Polyphony do with GT5 replays and photomode. Bioware have just got very good with the extra effects.

Around the Network
Masakari said:
sm1thi said:
kowenicki said:
sm1thi said:

ps3 and 360 differences:

Whether you knew this or not, SE states that the audio and video on the Xbox 360 version will be compressed to fit on DVD, while the PS3 version will remain uncompressed and ship on a dual-layer Blu-Ray disc.

link: http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/12/09/final-fantasy-xiii-ps3-and-xbox-360-differences-announced/ 

aside from that it should look great on both consoles

How many times!?

It is NOT uncompressed on PS3

why would SE tell famitsu that it is if it isn't?

post a link to confirm that its compressed on ps3 coz i cant find one but can find loads saying that its uncompressed?

He doesn't need to, everyone knows uncompressed video takes wayyyy more space than 50GBs. This is just basic settings in this web form: http://web.forret.com/tools/video_fps.asp?depth=8&fps=25&height=1080&interlace=no&title=HD+(1080p)&width=1920

1 hour of uncompressed, 1080p video is roughly 521 GBs, and I didn't bother putting optimal stuff in there, I just did standard resolution of 1080p.

And you calculated with 8-bit colour.

Anyway, if I could get hold of the famitu article in question, I can probably find where they were mistranslated.

selnor said:
JaggedSac said:
Mass Effect 2 cutscenes look compressed to hell(the non in-game engine ones). Doesn't bother me any. I am not playing FF, just figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Bink video is in the end credits of the game.

Personally, I think the video sequences were done using the ingame models, but with better lightning/effects. They're pretty obvious if you now what to look for.

Not that you should care, it's a fantastic game.

ctalkeb said:
selnor said:
JaggedSac said:

Personally, I think the video sequences were done using the ingame models, but with better lightning/effects. They're pretty obvious if you now what to look for.

Thanks, I was failing at searching for the Mass Effect 2 credits.

ctalkeb said:
selnor said:
JaggedSac said:

Bink Video doesn't meam CGI. Halo 3 ODST and FM3 has that symbol on the box. Obviously we all know those 2 have no cgi. ME2 is the same. Just enhanced cutscene in engine.

Around the Network
selnor said:
ctalkeb said:
selnor said:
JaggedSac said:

Bink Video doesn't meam CGI. Halo 3 ODST and FM3 has that symbol on the box. Obviously we all know those 2 have no cgi. ME2 is the same. Just enhanced cutscene in engine.

Bink is a video codec, if ODST and Forza mentions it, it's because there is some form of video in there.

To lay this whole compressed/uncompressed thing to rest, this is the original source of that error:

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9868

・動画や音声の圧縮率に差がある translates to: "there are differences in compression ratio for audio and video"

ctalkeb said:
selnor said:
ctalkeb said:
selnor said:
JaggedSac said:

Bink is a video codec, if ODST and Forza mentions it, it's because there is some form of video in there.

Yes. Of course 99.9% of games have videos. But it doesn't mean CGI. It can be ingame engine videos.

Example:

The following games Ive looked at quickly have NO CGI! But ue Bink Video.

Brothers In Arms HH

Rainbow Six Vegas

Perfect Dark Zero

Alone In The Dark

Mass Effect 1 ( You cant tell me you thought ME1 had CGI?????? )

selnor said:
ctalkeb said:
selnor said:
JaggedSac said:

The opening cinematic in Forza 3 is a video.  The assets might be in-game assets, but they are not being rendered real time.

There was CGI in Mass Effect 2. A bunch of them in fact. That was not all in-game.