By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Yes, in more weeks than last year. 706 54.43%

Yes, same amount of weeks than last year. 76 5.86%

Yes, but less weeks than last year. 161 12.41%

Yes, only once. 29 2.24%

No, lol? 137 10.56%

I like turtles. 188 14.49%

Total:1,297

PS3 wins by 1k, making it the 5th week in a row.

Next week, PS3 is getting Nier Replicant. Meanwhile the Wii is getting Ivy the Kiwi.

Guesses for next week? PS3 could stay on top due to Nier.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Any expectations for this week?

I've updated the OP with more releases and added July to the list.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

PS3 wins by 2k, 6th week in a row.

Guesses for next week? PS3 is getting Super Street Fighter 4, Wii nothing that could be relevant (we know Kensa X bombed)

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Wow, the PS3 is doing really well in Japan now! Haven't really though about it lately. Super Street Fighter 4 should be enough to keep the PS3 above with a few thousand. I say win by 3k.

Well until Nintendo finds a way to convince third party to make Wii games in Japan it'll be difficult to sell well outside holidays...Xenoblade, Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Last Story and few other games already announced will push Wii hardware this year...PS3 has a lot of games and a smaller userbase, so it's easier to expand.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Wow, the PS3 is doing really well in Japan now! Haven't really though about it lately. Super Street Fighter 4 should be enough to keep the PS3 above with a few thousand. I say win by 3k.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Wii was ahead.  Holidays tend to lift Nintendo platforms and games more generally, plus they've started new advertising campaigns for old titles (NSMBWii, Mario Kart Wii) last week.  Pretty sad when you think about it though. :/

Also, didn't think it was really worth it's own thread, but Torne did really well (161,299 sold)!  I think this has probably been something of a sceret PS3 killer app the past few weeks.

For future reference, I've made a list of all upcoming Japanese developed/published 3rd party games that each console will be getting, although I haven't checked the dates.

PS3: Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XIV, Sengoku Basara 3, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, Atelier Totori, Disgaea 3, Trinity Zill'Oll, Neptune, Another Century: Episode R, White Album, Metal Gear Solid: Rising, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, Naruto: Ninja Storm 2, Blazblue: Continuum Shift, Front Mission: Evolved, Armored Core 5, Clash of the Titans, Quantum Theory, Ikki Online, Class of Heroes 2G, Silent Hill, Winning Eleven 2010 Samurai, Deus Ex 3, Hakuoki PS3, Vanquish, Dinasty Warriors Troy, Alpha Protocol, King of Fighters XIII, Clannad, Powerful Pro Baseball 2010.

Wii: Dragon Quest X, Dragon Quest Monster: Battle Road Victory, A Shadow's Tale, Tournament of Legends, Twinkle Queen, Sengoku Basara 3, SD Gundam: Gachapon Wars, Deca Sports 3, Winning Eleven 2010 Samurai, Hospital, Karaoke Joy Sound Wii: Duet, 100 Party Games.

1st party games

PS3: The Last Guardian, Gran Turismo 5, Demon's Souls 2, White Knight Chronicles 2, Ape Escape, PlayStation Move and its SW.

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Wii Vitality Sensor and its SW, Cosmic Walker, The Legend of Zelda.

Looks like this year it's up to Nintendo to maintain the Wii at a reasonable level of sales, because 3rd party department is really lacking.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

You can probably drop Cosmic Walker and add Kirby to the 1st party Wii list. I know, I know, Kirby's vaporware... but it was in NCL's financial report while Cosmic Walker went mia.

There's a few missing 3rd party Wii games too (We Cheer 2, Spectrobes Origins, Daseioh, Red Steel 2, NHM2) but nothing really major.

I didn't add those because they are Western made/published. I know, there's also games like CoD missing for the PS3 too, but I just wanted to keep this limited to Japanese companies only.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Japanese devs have definitely dropped the ball. Japan is the only Wii had left since western companies have always refused to work on this platform, and now it is lost. I guess it is time for the Wii successor (Christmas 2011)