By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed get a 7.0 from 1UP.

No. It's the deviation from the aggregate. If you can't see how that is indicating bias then you're just not getting it.

Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:
naznatips said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
naznatips said:
Legend, I don't consider 1UP accurate on Nintendo reviews, but that's because they have a statistical bias against Nintendo games which is easily viewable on gamerankings. Their PS3 and 360 reviews are only slightly lower than average, so they should be relatively accurate. This isn't a difficult concept to understand Legend, and although you enjoy trolling anyone who complains about inconsistency in 1UP reviews, you have yet to explain why people should trust their Wii reviews when they are statistically significantly lower than average.

Hes got a point naz

IGN has what a +4% on wii games compared to game rankings? Should we consider them pro Wii? Im guessing we shouldnt trust theres cause its higher?

Please don't make up BS numbers. It really makes you look awful when people pull out the real ones.

IGN 360 +0.8%
IGN PS3 +0.6%
IGN Wii -0.4%

1UP 360 -4.2%
1UP PS3 -4.4%
1UP Wii -9.3%

Their Wii scores have signifficant (almost a full point) statistical deviation. There is very good reason not to trust 1UP's Wii game reviews. Now please don't make up BS again if you want to continue this debate.

1st off naz, your being a complete and utterless ass as usual, i dont understand where the hell you get pissed then take it out on other people who are not pro wii. If pro nintendo people pull shit out of there ass (countless predictions) wheres the degrading of them?

I should of put the word IF at the begining of the first sentence, and its also why i put a question mark. IM saying lets say IGN is pro wii, would the pro nintendo fans complain? Hes got a point the fact that they dont agree with any site that "hurts" there best games average ranking. Calling them biased, but if a site is pro wii, of course its accurate etc. It works for all fanboys, on all sides and what im pointing out.

Im fine with you correcting me since i didnt say it right, but as of late youve been a real acting like a real asswhole. Calling me stupid the other day for my opinions was rediculas. Go both ways, next time a nintendo fanboy says crap out of their ass, beat down on them.

First of all, this is your warning. I never called you any names, so don't call me an asshole. I don't tolerate insults whether it's against me or anyone else. Second, I correct people who have incorrect data, regardless of console. I certainly didn't buy into the "SMG outsell Halo 3 week 1" or the Wii Fit equivelent, and I pointed out that SMG's week 1 Japanese sales were disappointing. I just want logic Tears, and you are ruining that by making up things to prove your point. Obviously the fact that I defend IGN as accurate despite them not being vastly "pro Wii" as you put it shows that I'm not looking for a site with a +10% Wii review score average. I'm not going to be reading Nintendo Power over them anytime soon.

ckmlb, 1UP has more statistical margin of average error in their reviews for the Wii than the 360 and PS3 combined. I said they have a statistical bias. I never once said 1UP hates the Wii. I said their Wii scores are innacurate, and the data supports that completely.

If those scores supposedly shift throughout the generation then why have they been consistent for the last 6 months, when you started this argument with me? Obviously given the amount of Wii games in existence it's not really possible for 1UP to end up showing that statistical bias on mere chance. They simply are innacurate compared to the other 100 or so "credible" review sources out there. If their scores were low accross the board you could say they simply score harsher on everything, but clearly the Wii scores get affected in a major way. So, whether you like it or not, 1UP is a crappy place to go for Wii scores.

As far as the overall quality of their reviews go, I think their Wii reviews are poorly written as well. They gave Fire Emblem a 9, but they completely failed to justify a score that high in their review. They also often contradict themselves within their reviews, and compare games to other unrelated games on different platforms.

Also, fkusumot your data is inaccurate. Use http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/sites.asp

fkusumot said:

No. It's the deviation from the aggregate. If you can't see how that is indicating bias then you're just not getting it.

Bias means active prejudice against a system not coincidental difference between scores. Again just cause you don't like the aggregate it doesn't mean bias. If you expect sites to look out for review score aggregates across platforms then you are definitely not looking for credibility but looking for them to cater to console fans. I don't care if the number was -20%, it doesn't prove bias.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
fkusumot said:

Bias means active prejudice against a system not coincidental difference between scores. Again just cause you don't like the aggregate it doesn't mean bias. If you expect sites to look out for review score aggregates across platforms then you are definitely not looking for credibility but looking for them to cater to console fans. I don't care if the number was -20%, it doesn't prove bias.

Well, bias can mean a lot of things. In this case it's statistical bias. You can argue against that all you want but it won't change the fact that there is statistical bias. Whether that shows systemic bias is another question. If you think the statistical bias is merely coincidental then feel free to prove why that is so.

The burden of proof is not on me to prove that it's a coincidence, but on those claiming otherwise to prove that it is not coincidental. Games on a system come in a multitude of different levels of quality (everything from Mario to Chickenshoot) so by default that means aggregates are too broad not be coincidental unless there is an active intent to bring down the scores in which case it's up to 1up bias proclaimers to prove not me.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
The burden of proof is not on me to prove that it's a coincidence, but on those claiming otherwise to prove that it is not coincidental. Games on a system come in a multitude of different levels of quality (everything from Mario to Chickenshoot) so by default that means aggregates are too broad not be coincidental unless there is an active intent to bring down the scores in which case it's up to 1up bias proclaimers to prove not me.

Well, there's always cognitive bias. I feel it would be hard to prove that the aggregate review scores of some sites are not statically biased. After that you have to look for a pattern that is found in other evidence. Apparently after intensive review you have found that there is no evidence. What was your method of inquiry?

If AC has enough major problems to warrant this spectrum of reviews, then I don't think I'll purchase it. I don't like the idea of rewarding someone for a job that wasn't done well. I'll definitely rent it though to see whether I can overlook said problems.

I have a feeling I'll get enough enjoyment out of the rental to save myself $60 though.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

I have noticed a trend to the reviews specifically the negative reviews. The game is a platformer and some reviewers expected something more verbose. The game is at times to realistic for its own good. I suppose if realism isn't your thing that can hurt. However it does seem somewhat unfair to compare a platformer to a action RPG or to Grand Theft Auto.

I think the best judgment is this does the game do a great job being a platformer. Not whether it can pull off being a jack of all trades. Do we tear into Mario for having a painfully weak story line. Do we attack Mario, because the gombas are painfully stupid. Do we attack Mario, because the goal in every level is basically the same. The answer is no, but Assassins Creed is getting shafted for having those problems.

I think some reviewers expected one thing and got something entirely different. The problem is they never seemed to drop their original expectations, and judged the game based on those expectations. They thought they were going to get a action RPG, or a Grand Theft Auto. They got a platformer, but they still were thinking of the other two as they played and reviewed the game.

fkusumot said:
ckmlb said:
fkusumot said:

Well, bias can mean a lot of things. In this case it's statistical bias. You can argue against that all you want but it won't change the fact that there is statistical bias. Whether that shows systemic bias is another question. If you think the statistical bias is merely coincidental then feel free to prove why that is so.

So let me see if I have this right...   Some Nintendo fans used to bash 1UP because of their Nintendo scores and called them biased because of that table you posted (which shows a -7.09 difference)...  Yet I see some Nintendo fans posting and defending 1UP's review of Assassin's Creed (the original poster even claiming it confirms his suspicions about the game) even though it has a -19 difference in score compared to other sites on Game Rankings currently.  Do you see what I'm trying to get at?  Does anyone seriously not see the hypocrisy in this?  Are we really supposed to believe that if a 1UP Wii game review differs significantly from scores from other sites it's obviously bias but if it's a 360 game that it happens to it means that the review score should be trusted even more than those other sites? 

I'll be honest I haven't played Assassin's Creed so I have no idea if it's good or not and I'm not bashing or defending 1UP, I was simply pointing out something that I saw as unfair.

naznatips said:
Legend, I don't consider 1UP accurate on Nintendo reviews, but that's because they have a statistical bias against Nintendo games which is easily viewable on gamerankings. Their PS3 and 360 reviews are only slightly lower than average, so they should be relatively accurate. This isn't a difficult concept to understand Legend, and although you enjoy trolling anyone who complains about inconsistency in 1UP reviews, you have yet to explain why people should trust their Wii reviews when they are statistically significantly lower than average.

I see... I'm the one that "trolls" when it comes to 1UP reviews... Well I have to ask, what does Super Mario Galaxy have to do with Assassin's Creed again?  Are they made by the same company?  Are they the same genre?  On the same platform?  Hmm...  I'm not going to say anything more because I'm willing to let people have their time in the Sun with SMG because it's a great game and it's pretty rare for a Wii game, especially one that isn't just a port of a previous gen game, to score 90+.