By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed get a 7.0 from 1UP.

naznatips said:

I agree.  It's still worth buying for its positive features, but it does seem to have some major issues. 

IGN's video review argued your better off renting it over the weekend, as there's not much to do once you're done, and you may not even want to finish.

Around the Network

I think the occasional extra tough review isn't nearly as bad as all the sites with only 9.x reviews for pretty much every high profile game.

Soo i guess GOTY between bioshock and galaxy with galaxy edging by some way!

kopstudent89 said:
Soo i guess GOTY between bioshock and galaxy with galaxy edging by some way!

Don't forget Mass Effect and Halo 3.  Both of those have good shots at GOTY from major review sites.  I think there will be a relatively equal distribution of GOTY awards accross all 4 of those games.

It's hard to believe that just a few months ago some Nintendo fans were slamming 1UP and telling people to ignore their reviews and now I see some Nintendo fans making threads about their reviews and defending them, go figure.

Around the Network

Legend, I don't consider 1UP accurate on Nintendo reviews, but that's because they have a statistical bias against Nintendo games which is easily viewable on gamerankings. Their PS3 and 360 reviews are only slightly lower than average, so they should be relatively accurate. This isn't a difficult concept to understand Legend, and although you enjoy trolling anyone who complains about inconsistency in 1UP reviews, you have yet to explain why people should trust their Wii reviews when they are statistically significantly lower than average.

I think what some view as bias is actually the result of reviewers being fair. Some reviewers are willing to handicap in favor of Nintendo. The great reviewers however do not, and thats the way it should be. Games for all consoles should be placed on a even field. When a consoles limitations limit a games quality that is not an excuse to give a game a pass. Thats one of the sacrifices that is made. Thats not to say a game cannot compensate in other fields.

The Wii cannot push the graphical envelope like the other consoles. Since they have higher standards the bar is raised. Some will argue that the Wii should get a pass, but I would rather see fair reviewing if the game would not be considered up to par on the other two it should be considered as a downside on the Wii. Not to say that reviewers do not equivocate. Saying things like for the Wii these graphics are fantastic, or these graphics are bad even for the Wii.

Further more the controls on the console are also an Achilles heal for games on the Wii. Most developers still do not have a good understanding of the controls, and mechanics often do not work well for the controls. Thats ignoring the fact that your just not going to get the complexity out of the Wii mote that you would get out of the other controllers. That hurts gameplay, and to be honest the gameplay on the Wii does suffer for it.

Thats not to say fantastic games cannot be made for the console. Just that reviewers are maintaining a high standard. They should maintain a high standard otherwise the standards are lowered. That would just be bad reviewing, and honestly Nintendo does not seem to be having problems on that front. They understand the controls limitations and work around them so that they are not so obvious. They understand that their console is not going to be doing photo realistic graphics. So they go for the more gorgeous cartoon like approach. There is nothing wrong with that, and once again it compensates for limitations.

The reviews might be worse, because gasp the games might be worse. Simply making a game on the Wii is no excuse for tacked on controls. Where the controls on other consoles are tighter. No excuse for ugly graphics, when the other consoles look gorgeous. No excuse that the money saved on graphics cannot be spent on tighter controls and more volume in the worlds.

I for one prefer reviews to be true to market rather then true to the console. No game on any console should get a pass for being on a specific console. Developers can do better by the Wii, and work around the limitations rather then ignoring them.

@topic.

Interesting reviews I am still down with the concept, and assume if your getting in huge fights you have probably really screwed up. The goal after all is supposed to be getting away rather then fighting your way out. Regardless I like sandbox play, and tedium is not that big a issue for me. I had already read that the controls have a rather large learning curve.

I don't consider Halo 3 a contender for GOTY. Not even close. I will wait to decide on Mass Effect. It could be awesome. But right now I would have to say it's between Bioshock and Galaxy.

@Dodece, so according to your logic every FPS on the PS3/360 should be docked points because their controls aren't as good as MP3? Sorry that doesn't make any sense.

To Each Man, Responsibility

hmmmm im still contemplating if a shud get this game......

Wii Friendcode - 6327 2612 7683 5724

feel free to add me whenever (just PM me to let me know)