By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed get a 7.0 from 1UP.

I was concerned about the combat ever since I started seeing the previews. The game looks beautiful but then I saw the combat. Character surrounded by 12 guys all attacking one at a time. I figured I must just be missing something or it is a preliminary build. Bummer. This was one of those games that was getting me tempted to jump on the HC console bandwagon. Guess I can keep waiting.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

poor lady producer. she is way to gorgeous to be having trouble with game reviews.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

I've been worried about the combat since I first saw it as well.

I doubt I would agree that this is a "7" game...but it does pretty much confirm my fears. It's a game that has potential but falls a bit short. Doesn't mean you guys shouldn't buy it.

I would if I had a 360 or PS3...I dunno if I feel like playing it on my PC though.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Faxanadu said:
poor lady producer. she is way to gorgeous to be having trouble with game reviews.

I feel more sorry for Jade Raymond because the large portion of the gamer community acts like horny dogs every time she speaks.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ckmlb said:
sinha said:

The complaint about it being the same thing over and over again (collect info and assassinate) doesn't bother me as much because Crackdown was pretty much killing gang leaders over and over again, but I loved it. There was leveling though and those crazy orbs...

Two differences:

1) The orbs have an effect on your character, I don't think the flags really do anything. 

2) Climbing to the tops of tall buildings in this game doesn't seem to be a challenge.

"Having to reach the peak of viewpoint towers is less satisfying than getting to Agency Supply Points because, despite articulating one of the best and most interesting platform game schemes in memory, Ubisoft doesn't really challenge you with it. In fact, there are only one or two viewpoints you'll have trouble reaching in the whole game."

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Happysqurriel - "The reality is that Assassin's creed is (probably) a very good game produced by Ubisoft who just happens to be a pretty-sloppy developer; their best games have noticeable flaws which can dramatically impact a person's enjoyment of a game."

Agreed. The game appears to have a lot going for it, but just like the more recent Prince of Persia games (Sands of Time excluded, and Warrior Within emphasized) from Ubisoft, they just really seem to have a tendency to leave in a bunch of playability issues. In an extreme example, I remember my ex complaining that she was stuck in Warrior Within, and so I flipped her game on and tried to get her out. But the problem was she was literally stuck. She went through a certain level in some order the designer hadn't predicted and she had managed to confine herself permanently to one extended area. And all her save files were made within the area because it stretched for such a long distance. Game over.

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

BenKenobi88 said:
Faxanadu said:

I feel more sorry for Jade Raymond because the large portion of the gamer community acts like horny dogs every time she speaks.

I think she has made a pretty good career out of it, dont you think? 

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

UK gaming site Computer and Videogames had a lot of criticism for the game in their review (repetitive, useless stealth elements), but still gave it a score of 8.7 because the good elements were so enjoyable.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=175551

I thought everybody thought (sigh...) that Ubisoft~EA.

BenKenobi88 said:
I've been worried about the combat since I first saw it as well.

I doubt I would agree that this is a "7" game...but it does pretty much confirm my fears. It's a game that has potential but falls a bit short. Doesn't mean you guys shouldn't buy it.

I would if I had a 360 or PS3...I dunno if I feel like playing it on my PC though.

I agree.  It's still worth buying for its positive features, but it does seem to have some major issues.  I also agree that this is characteristic of Ubisoft as a developer.  They take some great ideas but make some major screwups in the execution.