By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Microsofts creative destruction" + Microsofts response.

mario64 said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Hotmail and MSN are the market leaders WW I believe. So its not only office and Windows that dominated.

The 360 completely changed how consoles worked online by pushing the digital marketplace etc and Windows 7 is seemingly a huge success (as is Bing I believe).

However yes they certainly don't seem as innovative as they should be.

Online existed on consoles back to Dreamcast and PS2. The 360 invented nothing except achievements, and even then it already existed in a lot of PS2 games individually...

Reading comprehension please.

Around the Network
alephnull said:
JaggedSac said:

I would just like to say that MS came up with AJAX.

Azure should be compared to Amazon's cloud service not Google Docs.  If you were to compare to Google, Google App Engine would be better.

But other than that, you are correct.  MS is a slow turning giant.

ASP .NET AJAX != AJAX

MS first used the XMLHttp object to make asynchornous server calls for an Outlook browser based application well before Asp .Net was even around.  Anything else?

The XMLHttp object was something MS put in Internet Explorer and no other browser had it at the beginning. Actualy before that MS had a little invisible Java Applet that was created to allow server calls to get data and change the HTML on the fly.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

ruff_romeo said:
DM235 said:
Twistedpixel said:

Another point worth addressing is Dick’s assertion that Xbox is “at best an equal contender in the game console business.” Fact is, Xbox 360 was the first high-definition console. It was the first to digitally deliver games, music, TV shows and movies in 1080p high definition. The first to bring Facebook and Twitter to the living room. And with Project Natal for Xbox 360 launching this year, it will be the first to deliver controller-free experiences that anyone can enjoy—a magical experience for everyone that Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, and Time magazine each named one of the top inventions of 2009.

Some minor errors in the statement above.  Marvel: Ultimate Alliance was 1920x1080 on the PS3 (released on Nov 17, 2006), while the XBox 360's first 1920x1080 game was NBA Street Home Court (released February 19, 2007).  So even though 1080p was available on the 360 in October 2006, about one month before the PS3, this resolution was only available by upscaling current games. 

People have had PCs hooked up to their living room TVs before 2006, and even the PS3 with its internet browser brought Twitter and Facebook to the living room before the 360.

PS2's EyeToy had controller free gaming in 2003, 7 years before Natal.

running Twitter, Facebook, or any other services via a browser will never count as a dedicated service nor a service to gloat about. I'm sorry it just doesnt work that way. When the iPhone was first released, it was never really praised for its integrated Safari browser, it was praised for the APP store and the apps that was available to the public. NOBODY uses Facebook via the Safari browser, its all done straight through the app. As far as I'm concerned accessing an online service via a browser, isnt something to state, "yeah we were the console to have it first." Yeah tell the world its got a browser, but its given to access any online content, so its not the same thing as a dedicated app. Almost everything has an integrated browser, even dated phones, I didnt hear any of them get praised for accessing an online social service via its browser? No I didnt think so! It just doesnt make any sense whatsoever to say we have Facebook and Twitter, when its all done via the browser! Here's an example, SKY on the Xbox 360 isnt the same as SKY via the browser on the PS3 or the Wii or the PC or the Mac or the public phone booths with browsers.

Everything today is pretty much application orientated, all the new phones, tablets, etc are pushing apps! Using a browser isnt what you call a dedicated service.

With regards to the EyeToy comment, ridiculous as it sounds, the EyeToy isn't the same thing as Project Natal, it doesnt even come in the same vicinity as project Natal. I tell you what the EyeToy is equivalent to, is the Xbox 360 Live Vision Camera. You cant compare the Live camera to Project Natal, like you can only be insane to compare the unsophisticated tech that the Eyetoy possesses! Just because you can dance around in front of the camera, without a controller, doesnt mean its the same as Natal, doesnt make any sense, lol. Great for 7 years ago, good starting point, but not even close to the same thing that Natal offers, its that simple!

You've both been sucked into the MS PR comment about X-box and 360 that MS always spout. The original comment was made on how 'Dick’s assertion that Xbox is “at best an equal contender in the game console business.”'

Forget the details you 2 are arguing about, as MS PR has gone completely off topic spouting features and apps when the original comment was about business. Fact is they've invested billions into the console market and made very small gains relative to that investment. They're improving now business-wise but it's still very small gains in market share and profit compared to the orginal investment. If any other company tried to pull what MS did when entering the console market, they'd have gone bust.

mario64 said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Hotmail and MSN are the market leaders WW I believe. So its not only office and Windows that dominated.

The 360 completely changed how consoles worked online but pushing the digital marketplace etc and Windows 7 is seemingly a huge success (as is Bing I believe).

Online existed on consoles back to Dreamcast and PS2. The 360 invented nothing except achievements, and even then it already existed in a lot of PS2 games individually...

Are you serious? DC had console online first, but Live (created on Xbox, not 360) has revolutionized the entire way people look at console gaming. They did it the right way, and popularized it. The Sega.net system and PSN up until recently were crap compared to what Live is. Live is still the standard to beat.

As with everything, the landmark isn't normally who did it first, but who did it in the right way as to make it hugely popular. And that was Live.

Around the Network
Masakari said:
mario64 said:
FaRmLaNd said:

The 360 completely changed how consoles worked online but pushing the digital marketplace etc and Windows 7 is seemingly a huge success (as is Bing I believe).

Are you serious? DC had console online first, but Live (created on Xbox, not 360) has revolutionized the entire way people look at console gaming. They did it the right way, and popularized it. The Sega.net system and PSN up until recently were crap compared to what Live is. Live is still the standard to beat.

As with everything, the landmark isn't normally who did it first, but who did it in the right way as to make it hugely popular. And that was Live.

Actually it's MS eitherway as didn't MS help Sega a lot on the software side with DC? And a lot of the ex-Sega guys ended up at MS anyway.

JaggedSac said:
alephnull said:
JaggedSac said:

Azure should be compared to Amazon's cloud service not Google Docs.  If you were to compare to Google, Google App Engine would be better.

ASP .NET AJAX != AJAX

MS first used the XMLHttp object to make asynchornous server calls for an Outlook browser based application well before Asp .Net was even around.  Anything else?

Indeed, they were the first to propose the concept of the async requests. And that led them to develop a rich showcase of never-possible-before web applications taking advantage of it, and wooing the world of web developers... oh, wait, that was gmail and Google maps :) But they updated their browser to optimize its use in complex JS... woops, in the JS race among v8/squirrelfish/tangerine IE is basically sitting on the bench :)

Seriously, AJAX is an example of what I meant when I said that they clearly have people coming up with great ideas, but they often seem unable to dogfood and bring them all the way through to the next steps.

Google/Apple/Mozilla were the real force in pushing AJAX and more generally heavy-duty webapps: they optimized the relative JS engines, designed APIs, proposed new open standards. Google and others created some amazing, rich content. Meanwhile the original XMLHttp object was left aging in the ghetto of ActiveX, probably because by then MS' focus was shifting to Silverlight and they were aiming their guns at Flash.

(Ironically today the future looks brighter for HTML5+JS+canvas/SVG+new file APIs+new persistence layer APIs than for Flash. I wonder how long will it take for IE to catch up, and how will the Windows Phone 7 devices cope with it...)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
JaggedSac said:
alephnull said:
JaggedSac said:

ASP .NET AJAX != AJAX

Indeed, they were the first to propose the concept of the async requests. And that led them to develop a rich showcase of never-possible-before web applications taking advantage of it, and wooing the world of web developers... oh, wait, that was gmail and Google maps :) But they updated their browser to optimize its use in complex JS... woops, in the JS race among v8/squirrelfish/tangerine IE is basically sitting on the bench :)

Seriously, AJAX is an example of what I meant when I said that they clearly have people coming up with great ideas, but they often seem unable to dogfood and bring them all the way through to the next steps.

Google/Apple/Mozilla were the real force in pushing AJAX and more generally heavy-duty webapps: they optimized the relative JS engines, designed APIs, proposed new open standards. Google and others created some amazing, rich content. Meanwhile the original XMLHttp object was left aging in the ghetto of ActiveX, probably because by then MS' focus was shifting to Silverlight and they were aiming their guns at Flash.

(Ironically today the future looks brighter for HTML5+JS+canvas/SVG+new file APIs+new persistence layer APIs than for Flash. I wonder how long will it take for IE to catch up, and how will the Windows Phone 7 devices cope with it...)

Either way, AJAX is a MS innovation that other companies took and enhanced.

And MS added the XMLHttpRequest object to its IE scripting library soon after the initial draft specification for a standard was made.  It wasn't left in ActiveX.  This is a MS innovation that was standardized.  How the standard was used afterwards has nothing to do with MS.

And you do realized that before GMail, there was Outlook Web Access right?  Only people needing offsite access to their coorporation's Exchange servers needed use it.  Much like most of MS's software, it was aimed at business usage and not the populous.

iLLmaticV3 said:
That was very fun to read. Its good to better understand how Microsoft works. Dick Brass did have a lot of Valid Point, but it seemed like he was being a bit negative, all I can really say is that I would never want to work at Microsoft and they missed out on a lot of opportunities that could have made them bigger market leaders.

The truth is always somewhere in the middle. I'm sure Mr. Brass has very valid issues with things, but his side is only from his perspective. I've always been torn on my feelings for Microsoft. I preferred Netware over NT4, but liked Office over the Lotus suite. I do not care for ASP.NET, but love MSSQL. I don't care much for Hotmail, but use Live Messenger everyday. I'd love to put IE's icon on a pike for making me create so many CSS hacks all the time, but I hope Courier is the real deal. It's just kind of weird really.

selnor said:

Internet browser for PS3 is nothing like Facebook for 360. 360 Facebook works perfectly with a controller. PS3 facebook is like combing your hair with a lawnmower.

I thought that was the only way to comb your hair??? Perhaps that's what I am doing wrong.

@AJAX discussion: Microsoft create the predecessor to the XMLHttpRequest and used it in early versions of OWA. Once the other browsers implemented this feature, Google made it mainstream with Gmail. But Microsoft did create the original tech.

Legend11 said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
I hate when people talk about Bill Gates being a philanthropist when what he's using a lot of that money for is to teach people how to use MS products. Breeding loyal customers isn't charitable even if you can convince the government not to tax you for it. I almost couldn't finish after that.

I read just a week ago that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is donating $10 billion over the next decade to vaccine research (after already donating $4.5 billion) and now I'm reading a post that is basically belittling the guy's philanthropy?  How about the $1.5 billion they gave to the United Negro College Fund for scholorships for minority students?  Also do you really think that Warren Buffet would be giving billions of dollars and eventually the bulk of his money to that foundation if it was basically just teaching people how to you Microsoft products?  Feel free to hate Microsoft and Bill Gates all you want but at least have the decency to give the man some credit for his philanthropy.

And what kind of software do you think they are going to use to do that research?  I'll give you one guess what company made it.  Keep in mind this is a charitable donation of cash by Bill Gates, not a charitable donation of software by MS, but these people still need the software and need to be trained to use it.  This also goes for the eventual distribution network that will spring up if they develop something useful.  Guess what software will be used for shipping orders.  Guess what software is done to handle inventory.  Payroll.  These aren't things MS is donating, but there's no they are going to buy non-MS products to do a project funded by Bill Gates.  And as for Warren Buffet, you don't think he'd invested in the pharmacutical company that is being given the money?  He's not going to own stock in one drug company and pay another to do research for him no matter how charitable he is.

Both of these men use their foundation in a way that continues to benefit them.  Yes, people are helped by their activities, but when you get down to it people were helped by the invention of Windows and that was a purely capitalistic move.  Helping someone, even if that's what you're claiming as your goal, isn't mutually exclusive of helping yourself.  If you're helping yourself, it's not charity, and just in convincing you he's a good guy for helping people he's helping himself.

I understand that some people don't get the idea of spheres of influence.  It requires complex, high-level thinking and attention to minute details, and if it were easy for everyone people like Bill Gates wouldn't have nearly the advantage over the common person that he does.  But what you have to keep in mind is that Bill gates doesn't think in terms of dollar amounts like the regular person does.  4.5 Billion doesn't mean a fat stack of cash like it would to you, it means he has the ability to direct the way thousands of people go about their daily lives - what jobs they do, how they do them, how they will impact other people.  Really this money is going to shape the way not just thousands by hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, view Gates and the company he made, and the fact that helping others is part of the deal does not detract from what is really going on.

Yes, people will be helped by the Foundation, no doubt, but you can absolutely count on Bill Gates and Warren Buffet being helped more than anyone else.

You do not have the right to never be offended.