By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Microsofts creative destruction" + Microsofts response.

You have to take both sides with a gain of salt. Obviously the first guy stated he worked as MS before but upon leaving he had troubles getting them to cooperate with them. The other guy however is a clear PR guy for Microsoft so you're not going to get any negative comments out of him.

Frankly, I've heard both sides of the coin a million times, from people who've worked for the company, still work at the company and people who just hate them period. From what I can tell, his main point that MS lacks a real 'true system of innovation' is sort of right...but only half right. They spend billions (yes billions) on R&D a year, but many reports, including MS itself, will show you that much of that R&D goes to established properties including WIndows, Office, etc. In recent years the higher ups have done a 180 and have tried to steer the company away from that, trying to get the company to focus on new markets such as web searching (Bing), game consoles (XBOX), music apps and music (zune and accessories), and a host of other products in development. However, as we've seen these products are either still relatively small or getting killed by other companies. And the argument can be made that its partially because Microsoft both doesn't know how to handle them and because Microsoft isn't putting as much behind them as the companies who focus entirely on those items.  Because eventhough they're putting a lot more money into these ventures now, the majority of money still goes into their established ventures like Windows, Office, Excel, etc (look what just came out, a whole new OS called WIndows 7).

In short, Microsoft is the king of Operating Systems because they focused on them and created a solid operating system. And Apple is king of MP3 players...cuz they focus on those. Microsoft doing a quick 180 and trying to come out with a competing media device isn't going to overthrow ipod and Apple. It didn't work for Sony.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

dick brass was very right on that stuff

i love their comebacks, rang pretty hollow

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

DM235 said:
Twistedpixel said:

Another point worth addressing is Dick’s assertion that Xbox is “at best an equal contender in the game console business.” Fact is, Xbox 360 was the first high-definition console. It was the first to digitally deliver games, music, TV shows and movies in 1080p high definition. The first to bring Facebook and Twitter to the living room. And with Project Natal for Xbox 360 launching this year, it will be the first to deliver controller-free experiences that anyone can enjoy—a magical experience for everyone that Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, and Time magazine each named one of the top inventions of 2009.

Some minor errors in the statement above.  Marvel: Ultimate Alliance was 1920x1080 on the PS3 (released on Nov 17, 2006), while the XBox 360's first 1920x1080 game was NBA Street Home Court (released February 19, 2007).  So even though 1080p was available on the 360 in October 2006, about one month before the PS3, this resolution was only available by upscaling current games. 

People have had PCs hooked up to their living room TVs before 2006, and even the PS3 with its internet browser brought Twitter and Facebook to the living room before the 360.

PS2's EyeToy had controller free gaming in 2003, 7 years before Natal.

running Twitter, Facebook, or any other services via a browser will never count as a dedicated service nor a service to gloat about. I'm sorry it just doesnt work that way. When the iPhone was first released, it was never really praised for its integrated Safari browser, it was praised for the APP store and the apps that was available to the public. NOBODY uses Facebook via the Safari browser, its all done straight through the app. As far as I'm concerned accessing an online service via a browser, isnt something to state, "yeah we were the console to have it first." Yeah tell the world its got a browser, but its given to access any online content, so its not the same thing as a dedicated app. Almost everything has an integrated browser, even dated phones, I didnt hear any of them get praised for accessing an online social service via its browser? No I didnt think so! It just doesnt make any sense whatsoever to say we have Facebook and Twitter, when its all done via the browser! Here's an example, SKY on the Xbox 360 isnt the same as SKY via the browser on the PS3 or the Wii or the PC or the Mac or the public phone booths with browsers.

Everything today is pretty much application orientated, all the new phones, tablets, etc are pushing apps! Using a browser isnt what you call a dedicated service.

With regards to the EyeToy comment, ridiculous as it sounds, the EyeToy isn't the same thing as Project Natal, it doesnt even come in the same vicinity as project Natal. I tell you what the EyeToy is equivalent to, is the Xbox 360 Live Vision Camera. You cant compare the Live camera to Project Natal, like you can only be insane to compare the unsophisticated tech that the Eyetoy possesses! Just because you can dance around in front of the camera, without a controller, doesnt mean its the same as Natal, doesnt make any sense, lol. Great for 7 years ago, good starting point, but not even close to the same thing that Natal offers, its that simple!

ChichiriMuyo said:
I hate when people talk about Bill Gates being a philanthropist when what he's using a lot of that money for is to teach people how to use MS products. Breeding loyal customers isn't charitable even if you can convince the government not to tax you for it. I almost couldn't finish after that.

I read just a week ago that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is donating $10 billion over the next decade to vaccine research (after already donating $4.5 billion) and now I'm reading a post that is basically belittling the guy's philanthropy?  How about the $1.5 billion they gave to the United Negro College Fund for scholorships for minority students?  Also do you really think that Warren Buffet would be giving billions of dollars and eventually the bulk of his money to that foundation if it was basically just teaching people how to you Microsoft products?  Feel free to hate Microsoft and Bill Gates all you want but at least have the decency to give the man some credit for his philanthropy.

Legend11 said:
I actually think there is a problem at Microsoft. They could easily have much more of an impact with their video game business but don't due to bad decisions. They had the money (and still have it) to dominate the industry but choose not to. For a company that knows the value of software and how much exclusivity matters, I mean look what it did for Windows and their bottom line, they could have done a lot better with their consoles.

They make a lot more money on windows. Gaming is one of the least important divisions to them

Around the Network

DICK got owned ^_^!!

ChichiriMuyo said:
I hate when people talk about Bill Gates being a philanthropist when what he's using a lot of that money for is to teach people how to use MS products. Breeding loyal customers isn't charitable even if you can convince the government not to tax you for it. I almost couldn't finish after that.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about, so do a little research next time before posting something this stupid.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

from what I understand this kind of shit is less and less of a problem as more and more of Microsoft adopt the Xbox Team's stance... inovation at a much more rapid, but controlled pace and I also think that the division is probably the best place to move a new idea into... a place where your idea can go from start to release in less than a year depending on it's scale

Interesting piece, a change of pace from the usual way these types of topics are presented.

Tease.

CommonMan said:
Damnyouall said:
Sony and Nintendo innovate, Microsoft replicates.

Blah bleddy blah blah generic troll statement blah.

Edit: I guess I should comment on the OP. LOL! Okay, so MS is slow moving? That makes sense, it's huge! Otherwise, good points and interesting, I think as the OP states, they should make an innovation division and have a mandate that the other divisions HAVE to work with them rather than against them.

That statement has been true of Microsoft since day one.....please read the quote from Bill Gates under my Av

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""