By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How developers increase difficulty the wrong way

*** Minor Jade Empire spoiler ***

I created this thread for a little rant.

There are several games out there I have beaten in which I was looking forwards to increasing difficulty to get some more re-playability out of it.  Unfortunately, the developers have implemented that feature poorly, in what otherwise is a great game.  Let me give you three common mistakes I have seen:

a) Only allowing the player to choose harder difficulties after completing the easier difficulties (worst offenders I remember: Metroid Prime series, Resident Evil 4).  I don't see what the point of this is.  Are they afraid that the player is going to choose a hard difficulty by accident, get pissed off, and not buy their sequal.  Maybe the harder difficulty is a reward for completing the game on normal.  There is only one problem with that: when you have beaten the game once already, but the game save does not have it recorded on that particular system.  I finished Metroid Prime 3 on Normal and Hard difficulties.  I started the game on hypermode difficulty, and then left it for a few months.  Later, I thought I would re-start in hypermode, so I deleted my save file and created another only to find out I now have to finish normal and hard modes again to unlock hypermode.  Anger!!!  I really don't feel like finishing the game on Normal and Hard only to unlock Hypermode; That is a big waste of time.  Besides the point I will probably be tired of the game by the time I unluck Hypermode.  What about those people who, for whatever reason, looses their save file.  They are screwed also.

b) Making the hard difficulty tedious instead of difficult (worst offender: Jade Empire Special Edition (PC)).  I can only think of one game that really screwes this up, and that is Jade Empire.  In the really hard difficulties, the enemies have a ton of HP.  The best way to defeat those enemies, I discovered, is to use a combination of Paralyzing Palm and a hard hitting style.  Even with that hard hitting style, it takes forever to defeat enemies at really hard difficulties.  They would have been better off increasing the damage they deal, and maybe removing some fighting stlyes like Paralyzing Palm, than increasing their HP where it takes forever to kill them.  I know I could just not use Paralyzing Palm, that leads me to my next point.

c) Not including a hard difficulty.  Is it so hard to program (I learned how to program in college, it is not).  There is almost no manpower required to just include a mode where the enemies deal more damage or whatnot.  I think many Zelda games would have been a better experience for me if they had just given me the option of a hard difficulty from the start.  I know there are challenges you can make for yourself such as a no-death run or only using the wand (from Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening), but these seem artificial and secondary to a hard mode.  It doesn't take much effort for developers to do this.

I am out of time.  There is my little rant, feel free to rant yourself if you are annoyed by this also.

edit: I will go ahead and add

d) Developers who use cheap methods to make the game hard.  This really doesn't fit into my original three, as they are about otherwise well designed games that just don't have well designed harder difficulties.  However, it seems to annoy a lot of people, especially me.  Whether the cheap challenges are due to sloppy controls, or poor developer imagination, they are just annoying.  Good examples are: not explaining the rules well enough, not distinguishing between dangerous objects and safe, challenges that rely mainly on luck, control interface makes it difficult to fight (I'm looking at you, The Witcher!), poor design choices make it difficult to fight.

Around the Network

I think your missing one.

"Cheap" level design.

The kind where you could have infinite godlike reflexes, but still die the first time you play.

For example, a square that looks like every other square kills you instantly.

Or another example, though one supposed to be that way in I want to be the guy where the apple falls upwards.

I'd even consider putting Quick Man's stage in MM2 their, because depending on how you fall your screwed.  (unless you use flash anyway.)  I probably wouldn't however since the default dropdown gets you in position... and it's if your tricky with it that screws you up.

I hate hard/extreme setting when you can only beat the game with a ton of luck..Like the veteran mode in Call of duty..Many beated the game(s) on veteran but almost no one can do it with skill... Finding someone who can beat a level without dying is rare (or it must be a short level).

I came in here expecting someone with similar views as me, but was surprised.

My problem with difficulty in gaming is that more often than not, developers believe that "cheap" equals "hard". Which pretty much ruins the gaming experience.

I also hate uneven difficulty where the game will have one section that is really hard (usually cheap) halfway threw the game and afterwords it gets easier.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

metroid prime 3 on hypermode is totally for the birds. The bosses take one million hits, and anyone who's played it knows this is true. The game is fine till you get to the boss battles, which a re just tedious and boring.

If only more creative ways of making a game tougher were implemented, not just giving the enemys more hit points or making them stronger.

You know what I hate?
In games like Dragon Age (this title was ripe with this crap) where you know you're nearing a boss and you start deploying your characters tactically so you won't be slaughtered instantly. You observe and move about until you've found the perfect positions where everyone will do their task perfectly (archer semi covered behind some debris, tank right in the face of the first henchmen that will get it and the mage way back in a safe zone ready to unleash hell upon the archers).
What happens? A cutscene forces all your characters into a large blob smack dab in the middle of the enemy kill zone where your archer and mage will be minced meat in seconds and your tank is surrounded by morons with stunning attacks or stealth who can backstab.
A similar technique is a cutscene where you start rather far away and the boss walks towards you while he talks and the fight starts as he practically makes contact with your forehead with his fifty pound spiked club.
Another annoying way of increasing the difficulty is placing spawn points that spout new enemies until you move away from the area, simply clearing them out won't help, new ones are instantly there (the last two Call of Duty titles are very much guilty of this). I even saw a team of infantry appear out of thin air in World at War, dropping three feet from the air, landing in the mud right in front of me as I was crawling towards an enemy position as noiselessly as I could.

Cheap, cheap shots from some big developers makes me rage.

It really doesn't fit into my original 3, but I added "cheap challenges" to the list.

Most shooting games just make it harder by

1. Enemies take more hits to kill

2. You die in fewer hits

3. Enemies throw more grenades/cheap shit

They need to find other ways to make things harder, I agree with you. Like on hard maybe the enemies are smarter and flank you more and use other smart tactics.

I want more games that increase difficulty in the way GoldenEye/Perfect Dark did: More objectives.