By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How developers increase difficulty the wrong way

I'm not really a fan of what usually happens in strategy games, where a higher difficulty level means that the AI will get a shitload of bonuses and you'll get penalized in every aspect. I don't play Civilization IV, or Fall from Heaven 2, which is more difficult than Civ4, in a level higher than Prince. at least in King's Bounty the game tells you what happens in Normal or Hard (i.e. things cost more, etc)

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network

@ameratsu

There is always zombies walking around,not just hoards. Its the two zombies that spawned behind your back that take your health away, and say if 5 zombies are running at you, 3 of them will run past you and then hit you in your back..

Cheap shit like that ruins the game

Garnett said:
@ameratsu

There is always zombies walking around,not just hoards. Its the two zombies that spawned behind your back that take your health away, and say if 5 zombies are running at you, 3 of them will run past you and then hit you in your back..

Well if stray zombies give you that much trouble, you probably shouldn't be playing realism or expert.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
Garnett said:
@ameratsu

Well if stray zombies give you that much trouble, you probably shouldn't be playing realism or expert.

Only when they spawn out of thin air behind your back in a closed room,Your talking to THE biggest L4D fan on this site, Ask Yungmagic we played Realism/Expert a shit load of times and every time we did the game screwed us.

salaminizer said:

I'm not really a fan of what usually happens in strategy games, where a higher difficulty level means that the AI will get a shitload of bonuses and you'll get penalized in every aspect. I don't play Civilization IV, or Fall from Heaven 2, which is more difficult than Civ4, in a level higher than Prince. at least in King's Bounty the game tells you what happens in Normal or Hard (i.e. things cost more, etc)

I wouldn't call Fall from Heaven 2 harder than vanilla Civ4 (unless they can actually fix the AI to work with the added game mechanics).  They made fantastic progress with Civ 4 difficulty levels, but unfortunately you can't program an AI to account for all the different human play styles that attempt to exploit AI weaknesses (AI doesn't adapt, but human continually adapts).

King's Bounty is a fantastic example of how to do difficulty modes.

I do agree with the concensus here, most difficulty settings in games don't do the intended purpose.  When I choose hard, I don't want annoying.

Around the Network
Garnett said:
ameratsu said:
Garnett said:
@ameratsu

Only when they spawn out of thin air behind your back in a closed room, Your talking to THE biggest L4D fan on this site, Ask Yungmagic we played Realism/Expert a shit load of times and every time we did the game screwed us.

lol

Also, I agree with Ameratsu's sentiment.  We play expert almost exlcusively.

makingmusic476 said:
Garnett said:
ameratsu said:
Garnett said:
@ameratsu

Only when they spawn out of thin air behind your back in a closed room, Your talking to THE biggest L4D fan on this site, Ask Yungmagic we played Realism/Expert a shit load of times and every time we did the game screwed us.

lol

Also, I agree with Ameratsu's sentiment.  We play expert almost exlcusively.

I had the other achievements so Expert/Realism Achievement is the only thing i did. 

The cheapest trick of difficulty in the book? Rubberbanding. We have all played MArio kart and we all know how it works.

You are in the lead, drop a banana and the number two will be behind you in seconds.
You're the number two, hit a banana and play catch-up for a whole round. It's way to damn cheap.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

I would say scrap difficulty levels and simply go for intensity levels which the AI will try to maintain. Difficulty pretty much means intensity anyway, so simply having the AI respond to how efficiently you are dispatching the enemy is a good way to keep the play experience consistant without killing the player or making it a breeze to play.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Two million enemies tossing a million grenades every second at me does NOT mean Veteran.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*