By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassins Creed GOTY?

Ha, ha, ha... It got around 81% on Game Rankings. There is no way it will become the Game of the Year. That position is most definitely reserved for Super Mario Galaxy!

Around the Network

SMG will most likely be goty or perhaps halo 3. Guitar hero 3, cod4, or the orange box may be in the runner ups.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Halo 3 is too far behind... Around 93% on Game Rankings just cannot compete with Galaxy's near 98%. The Orange Box, and Call of Duty 4... I honestly doubt both will top Mario Galaxy...

Game rankings is a good indicator but not the final say. There are a lot of factors that tie into getting GOTY and most of the time "review scores" aren't directly a factor.

I would say that Mario Galaxy is undeniably a contender, but we all know that GOTY is a big popularity contest, and Nintendo and its games aren't the most popular amongst industry veterans still despite Wii's success.

Anyone who bashes this game hasn't played it. It creates a new standard for character integration into the world and the animations are absolutely stunning, as are the cities. It does have a few problems (namely the entire first hour where you do absolutely nothing of interest), but this game offers such different gameplay that it deserves to be mentioned in the GOTY discussion.

I haven't gotten far enough into the game to know if it has repetitive gameplay or not but as it stands now (3-4 hours into it), it has changed my perception of how sandbox-style games should work.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Anyone who bashes this game hasn't played it. It creates a new standard for character integration into the world and the animations are absolutely stunning, as are the cities. It does have a few problems (namely the entire first hour where you do absolutely nothing of interest), but this game offers such different gameplay that it deserves to be mentioned in the GOTY discussion.

I haven't gotten far enough into the game to know if it has repetitive gameplay or not but as it stands now (3-4 hours into it), it has changed my perception of how sandbox-style games should work.

couldn't have said it better 

I'm still confused. On the very beginning I was totally hyped. After negative reviews (AI problems) I've crossed it out. Than few posters gave some positive feedback and I decided to buy it again. Than leo-j posted the link to PS3/X360 comparison, also I've read IGN's head-to-head comparison and I'm disappointed once again... Is framerate really that annoying. Gamingdevil? Anyone?

It should be mentioned that if you're not amazed the first time you climb a lookout point (the climbing is absolutely amazing), perch on the ledge, synchronize the area, and then leap off and plummet into a hay bail, you shouldn't be playing video games.

Seriously, everyone needs to experience some of the parts of this game. In three short hours, the game has changed how I perceive third person action gaming. It's just so... different. Now I'm really amped to see what Ubi Montreal does with the upcoming Splinter Cell game.

Tetsuo Shima said:
I'm still confused. On the very beginning I was totally hyped. After negative reviews (AI problems) I've crossed it out. Than few posters gave some positive feedback and I decided to buy it again. Than leo-j posted the link to PS3/X360 comparison, also I've read IGN's head-to-head comparison and I'm disappointed once again... Is framerate really that annoying. Gamingdevil? Anyone?

I have it for 360 and haven't noticed a glitch in framerate yet. And I'm a real pigfucker when it comes to stuff like that, it will destroy my opinion of a game. 

rocketpig said:

I have it for 360 and haven't noticed a glitch in framerate yet. And I'm a real pigfucker when it comes to stuff like that, it will destroy my opinion of a game.

There are conflicted raports regards performance.

CVG

Under a microscope the PS3 version does look a bit sharper when the two versions are running side by side.

The Xbox 360 version makes up for this with (arguably) better controls and we're also told it runs two or three frames faster than the PS3 cousin, though no-one's going to notice that.

IGN

The frame rate is not only far more noticeable, but you can see the difference between the two consoles at any point in the game, not just large open environments.

I tend to believe IGN because of GameTrailers comparison. PS3 version definitely doesn't look sharper. Under a microscope or not.