Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 gaming companies by revenue (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo)

Here we have the revenue earned from gaming for the big players in the industry for H1 2018 compared to H1 2017 . From the big 3 console makers we can see that Sony had the largest YOY growth and their revenue is the highest. 

 

1. Sony $6.1BN

2. Microsoft $4.2BN 

3. Nintendo $1.5BN

 

This caught me by surprise as I didn't realize Sony and Microsoft were doing so much better then Nintendo. Do you think things will change over the next few years and the list will have a different order? 



Around the Network
Kerotan said:

Here we have the revenue earned from gaming for the big players in the industry for H1 2018 compared to H1 2017 . From the big 3 console makers we can see that Sony had the largest YOY growth and their revenue is the highest. 

 

1. Sony $6.1BN

2. Microsoft $4.2BN 

3. Nintendo $1.5BN

 

This caught me by surprise as I didn't realize Sony and Microsoft were doing so much better then Nintendo. Do you think things will change over the next few years and the list will have a different order? 

This I see revenue though, not profit. I’d really like to see a similar chart with profit.



I thought nintendo gaming is much,much bigger then microsoft? Guess they lost there touch.



 

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
I thought nintendo gaming is much,much bigger then microsoft? Guess they lost there touch.

MS has a decent chunk of the PC gaming market, they have a very successful subscription service in XBL, and a second subscription service in Gamepass that is bringing in some bucks as well.  But, probably most importantly, MS has arguably the biggest game in the world over the last few years - Minecraft.



As I mentioned on a similar thread a few days ago - the biggest surprise to me here is that Tencent absolutely dwarfs everybody else. That just goes to show you the size of the Chinese market. And, that market is nowhere near maturity. (Yes, I know they sell outside of China as well. But, they're certainly not in the top few names if you take China revenues out.)



Around the Network
VAMatt said:
xl-klaudkil said:
I thought nintendo gaming is much,much bigger then microsoft? Guess they lost there touch.

MS has a decent chunk of the PC gaming market, they have a very successful subscription service in XBL, and a second subscription service in Gamepass that is bringing in some bucks as well.  But, probably most importantly, MS has arguably the biggest game in the world over the last few years - Minecraft.

MS plans for their cloud gaming platform are bold.



Kerotan said:

Here we have the revenue earned from gaming for the big players in the industry for H1 2018 compared to H1 2017 . From the big 3 console makers we can see that Sony had the largest YOY growth and their revenue is the highest. 

 

1. Sony $6.1BN

2. Microsoft $4.2BN 

3. Nintendo $1.5BN

 

This caught me by surprise as I didn't realize Sony and Microsoft were doing so much better then Nintendo. Do you think things will change over the next few years and the list will have a different order? 

Sony



Microsoft



Nintendo



Just for some extra perspective.

Also, Nintendo just started offering online subs. We shall see.

Last edited by OTBWY - on 11 November 2018


First, revenue is not same thing like profit, for instance Nintendo made $1.5BN revenue for first 1st half of year, with $570m of profit from that revenue.
Second, Nintendo usualy in Holiday quarter have bigger sales than in other 3 quarters of year combined, also Switch install base is still limited (that effects on software sales) and Nintendo just launched paid online, while 3DS is dying.



VAMatt said:
As I mentioned on a similar thread a few days ago - the biggest surprise to me here is that Tencent absolutely dwarfs everybody else. That just goes to show you the size of the Chinese market. And, that market is nowhere near maturity. (Yes, I know they sell outside of China as well. But, they're certainly not in the top few names if you take China revenues out.)

Tencent owns Riot (League of Legends which makes USD 2 billion+ per year alone in revenue) and part of Epic Games (Fortnite), i'd say they have a very good exposure to western markets. Don't forget they also own Bluehole (PUBG).



CuCabeludo said:
VAMatt said:
As I mentioned on a similar thread a few days ago - the biggest surprise to me here is that Tencent absolutely dwarfs everybody else. That just goes to show you the size of the Chinese market. And, that market is nowhere near maturity. (Yes, I know they sell outside of China as well. But, they're certainly not in the top few names if you take China revenues out.)

Tencent owns Riot (League of Legends which makes USD 2 billion+ per year alone in revenue) and part of Epic Games (Fortnite), i'd say they have a very good exposure to western markets. Don't forget they also own Bluehole (PUBG).

I did not know that they owned Bluehole or part of Epic.  That changes things a good bit.  Still though, they're kicking everyone's ass because of China.