Quantcast
Nintendo of America: "Grab a Wii U while you can"

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo of America: "Grab a Wii U while you can"

Einsam_Delphin said:
Guitarguy said:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/05/16/nintendo-president-nx-is-not-the-successor-to-the-wii-u-nor-to-the-3ds

Here you go, clear as crystal:


"The NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS", said Kimishima (as translated by NeoGAF user GSR). "It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U."

 

Yes it's very clear even with this not being an official translation. The NX is not the successor to Wii U or 3DS in terms of design or branding, hence the following sentence, it's a new way to play. It isn't a Wii U 2 or 4DS, but that doesn't mean it wont replace them. The keyword in the second bold is "pure." Just like when Iwata said "simply," that means it isn't just a straight up replacement as we've come to expect but more than that, aka replacing both 3DS and (not or) Wii U. The fact that they mention both Wii U and 3DS makes that much obvious.

Also I left it out of my original post for fear of being too mean, but in addition to reading comprehension is common sense. No way would Nintendo entertain the possibility of supporting three systems at once when they can't even do two, especially when it would contradict what they've said about merging their handheld and console software output.


LOL really? Nintendo HAVE entertained this in the past, so they have set a precedent which trumps "common sense".

"[It] will enable fun and movement not seen before. I expect it to become a third pillar, next to GameCube and Game Boy."
-Satoru Iwata, Gamasutra (January 07, 2004)

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=515

You stated Nintendo never said the NX won't be a replacement to the Wii U, I showed you they did actually say it and then you went into semantics and ambiguity of the word "pure". Well damn, I guess the Wii was not a 'pure' replacement for the Gamecube because it had motion controls and was a 'new way to play'. Much like the N64 had an analog stick compared to the SNES's D-pad. You even mention difference design and branding being factors in a console/handheld not being a replacement. Well I guess the Xbox One is not a replacement to the Xbox 360, well I guess the Gamecube was not a replacement for the N64, or the Genesis to the Master System, or the Vita to the PSP...

I also don't want to sound mean, you sound pretty cool to me, but I do think the explanation is quite evident.



Around the Network
Guitarguy said:


LOL really? Nintendo HAVE entertained this in the past, so they have set a precedent which trumps "common sense".

"[It] will enable fun and movement not seen before. I expect it to become a third pillar, next to GameCube and Game Boy."
-Satoru Iwata, Gamasutra (January 07, 2004)

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=515

You stated Nintendo never said the NX won't be a replacement to the Wii U, I showed you they did actually say it and then you went into semantics and ambiguity of the word "pure". Well damn, I guess the Wii was not a 'pure' replacement for the Gamecube because it had motion controls and was a 'new way to play'. Much like the N64 had an analog stick compared to the SNES's D-pad. You even mention difference design and branding being factors in a console/handheld not being a replacement. Well I guess the Xbox One is not a replacement to the Xbox 360, well I guess the Gamecube was not a replacement for the N64, or the Genesis to the Master System, or the Vita to the PSP...

I also don't want to sound mean, you sound pretty cool to me, but I do think the explanation is quite evident.

 

 

A quote from 2004, yeah that's not relevant. Game development has become far more difficult and costly since then.

No they did not actually say it. "It's not a replacement" and "it's not a pure replacement" mean two different things. Yes that one word does make all the difference, and no there's nothing ambiguous about it, we all know what pure means. To make it easier for you to comprehend replace pure with only/100%/full/complete, and as an example, when you kill someone in Splatoon you aren't purely killing them but also spreading ink.



Einsam_Delphin said:
Guitarguy said:


LOL really? Nintendo HAVE entertained this in the past, so they have set a precedent which trumps "common sense".

"[It] will enable fun and movement not seen before. I expect it to become a third pillar, next to GameCube and Game Boy."
-Satoru Iwata, Gamasutra (January 07, 2004)

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=515

You stated Nintendo never said the NX won't be a replacement to the Wii U, I showed you they did actually say it and then you went into semantics and ambiguity of the word "pure". Well damn, I guess the Wii was not a 'pure' replacement for the Gamecube because it had motion controls and was a 'new way to play'. Much like the N64 had an analog stick compared to the SNES's D-pad. You even mention difference design and branding being factors in a console/handheld not being a replacement. Well I guess the Xbox One is not a replacement to the Xbox 360, well I guess the Gamecube was not a replacement for the N64, or the Genesis to the Master System, or the Vita to the PSP...

I also don't want to sound mean, you sound pretty cool to me, but I do think the explanation is quite evident.

 

 

A quote from 2004, yeah that's not relevant. Game development has become far more difficult and costly since then.

No they did not actually say it. "It's not a replacement" and "it's not a pure replacement" mean two different things. Yes that one word does make all the difference, and no there's nothing ambiguous about it, we all know what pure means. To make it easier for you to comprehend replace pure with only/100%/full/complete, and as an example, when you kill someone in Splatoon you aren't purely killing them but also spreading ink.

lol no worries man. good luck with that.



Guitarguy said:

lol no worries man. good luck with that.

 

Good luck with what?



This is good news everyone.



Around the Network

I can smell a Virtual Boy 2...



Dunban67 said:

The only person you are convincing is yourself-   I would say you are the definition of "sophmoric" but I don t think you beleive in your own bs

It is clear what Nintendo communicated to anyone over 10 (and most under 10)  except yourself- 

I'll try it one last time to explain why you and others are wrong. First, here is Nintendo's official statement:

"Though I cannot confirm when it will be launched or any other details of the system, since I have confirmed that it will be 'a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept,' it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple 'replacement' for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U," Iwata explained.

Now comes an analogy. Suppose Nintendo said this about the new Zelda (obviously not an actual quote):

"Since the next Zelda will use a much more non-linear structure, it won't be an easy game."

That doesn't mean that Zelda won't be a game, despite the words "won't be a game" being somewhere in the statement. Likewise, Iwata's quote isn't a denial of a replacement, it's a denial of a specific kind of replacement, just like the Zelda quote I made up.

Once again you try to brand me as a fanboy or simpleton, but you have to consider that my interpretation of Iwata's statement (which I've held since the moment the statement was made) leads to the inevitable conclusion that the Wii U will be dead as soon as NX launches. That contradicts the wishes of a fanboy. My interpretation of the quote is also in line with what was going to happen all along, so my ability to comprehend words is perfectly fine.

You and others who are arguing against this have a history of looking for reasons to bash Nintendo. Maybe you specifically are just angry at yourself for being unable to comprehend Iwata's quote and seriously expecting further Wii U support, and now are unable to admit it, so you try to put the blame on Nintendo despite a complete lack of statements that would support your interpretation that Wii U and NX would exist side by side. Feel free to make a thread to say that you expected Wii U games from Nintendo after NX launch. Be warned though, because people will laugh at you for holding such a belief when there were no reasons and indicators to believe so.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

During their last results release, Nintendo claimed they had shipped 13.2 million Wii-U units and planned to sell 800k in the next financial year. By simple addition and the fact NX is out next year, it seems to me like Nintendo only built 14 million consoles. It's likely they stopped producing them during the (disastrous) Year of Luigi.

From my observations though there's no need to run out and grab a Wii U. Gaming shops are piled high with preowned consoles as well as loads of boxed new consoles. With the sparse software release schedule (2-3 more games for 12 months) expect that number of preowned consoles to increase.

I think also one can wonder if Nintendo are looking into doing an Atari and burying all the unsold consoles and games in the New Mexico desert. They've already copied Atari by angering their fans with low quality, unfinished games (Pac Man, Star Fox Zero) and insisting it's the gamers at fault and not their hardware designs (Jaguar, Wii-U).



Flash Sentry's #1 Fan (unofficially).

silvergunner said:

During their last results release, Nintendo claimed they had shipped 13.2 million Wii-U units and planned to sell 800k in the next financial year. By simple addition and the fact NX is out next year, it seems to me like Nintendo only built 14 million consoles. It's likely they stopped producing them during the (disastrous) Year of Luigi.

From my observations though there's no need to run out and grab a Wii U. Gaming shops are piled high with preowned consoles as well as loads of boxed new consoles. With the sparse software release schedule (2-3 more games for 12 months) expect that number of preowned consoles to increase.

I think also one can wonder if Nintendo are looking into doing an Atari and burying all the unsold consoles and games in the New Mexico desert. They've already copied Atari by angering their fans with low quality, unfinished games (Pac Man, Star Fox Zero) and insisting it's the gamers at fault and not their hardware designs (Jaguar, Wii-U).

You are completely wrong.

The prices for te Wii U are only going up. You don't find anything under 300€ new now, and soon all the left Wii U will be selling around 350€.

The Wii U is going to achieve collector status very soon and the price for this rare console will climb very high. Already people who were hloding out for a price cut have gave up their hopes. The price is only growing at this point.



RolStoppable said:

*more text than a half-assed cop out deserves*

 

Heh, we're both arguing the same thing against equally questionable users. Shall we join forces and commence total domination?