Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese Retailers Pricing Download 3DS Titles Higher Than Package Versions

Tagged games:

In theory, 3DS titles are meant to be priced the same for their package and download versions. In theory.

In practice, retailers appear to be pricing the download versions higher than the package versions. Full article.

 

Don't they get some special freebies with the Digital Download? Still, I found this interesting to discuss. Let the "Nintendo Sucks at Online Services" fest begin.

 

Edit: From the article about the campaign for the launch of online game sales "Buy the download version of either game, and you'll receive Donkey Kong Original Edition on the 3DS Virtual Console and double the Club Nintendo points, or 40 points per game. Buy both games, and you'll also get an addition 20 Club Nintendo points as a bonus"



Around the Network

Maybe they are expecting shortages of the physical copies.



I'm pretty sure I remember reading that (in Japan at least) Nintendo is pricing the eShop versions below the MSRP -- in fact, I think they were pricing them at ¥4580. That means retailers are pricing their products lower to compete with Nintendo's price. Nintendo isn't "sucking at online services," they're competing with retailers, resulting in lower prices. Which sounds like a pretty good thing to me.



Well of course they would. Retailers wont exist if didgital downloads take over, they're not exactly gonna being pushing people into the download route

Also itsnt just Nintendo. Here's in the UK some 'retail' games are for sale on PSN for £54.99 whilst they release in the shop for £39.99 max.



It does seem strange that the prices are higher compared to the retail package.

I pre-ordered NSMB2 and the retailer I got it from gives a 10% discount on the original price (4,800 yen), so 4,320 yen. Plus they also give you 10% in points from that which you can use to purchase other things at the store. I will get 432 points (effectively 432 yen which I can use for other stuff at the store. So it will effectively be just under 3,900 yen. The DL version won't be that cheap according to that article.

Plus with the DL version I won't be able to lend my game to anybody. After I cleared SM3DL, I lent the game to my gf so she could play it on her 3DS. I'll do the same with NSMB2 as well.




starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that (in Japan at least) Nintendo is pricing the eShop versions below the MSRP -- in fact, I think they were pricing them at ¥4580. That means retailers are pricing their products lower to compete with Nintendo's price. Nintendo isn't "sucking at online services," they're competing with retailers, resulting in lower prices. Which sounds like a pretty good thing to me.


Not completely sure, but I read that on e-shop is the exact same price, full price.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Nintendo has a crappy online service, just expecting some people which would take advantage of anything to hit Nintendo.



I don't know why... unless those freebies are seriously that good. (Which I kind of doubt.)



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

retroking1981 said:
Well of course they would. Retailers wont exist if didgital downloads take over, they're not exactly gonna being pushing people into the download route

Also itsnt just Nintendo. Here's in the UK some 'retail' games are for sale on PSN for £54.99 whilst they release in the shop for £39.99 max.


Didn't realize the discrepancy could be that large!



If this does happen they should only do it the first week. In case the shipments to stores are not enough to handle demand. Then Digital prices should be less than box games. My opinion.



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

benao87 said:


Not completely sure, but I read that on e-shop is the exact same price, full price.

And that's true -- in America. Mainly, I think, because Nintendo doesn't want to cross GameStop. But I could swear I just read that the games will be slightly cheaper digitally in Japan.