Quantcast
The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Sign-ups are still on!

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 10th Annual Greatest Games Event - Sign-ups are still on!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

After a quick look, we sure do!

The 90's was undoubtedly the best era for PC games.  They just don't make games like those anymore (although I really wish they did).

I think there are some good and fun games in the indie sector. There are also many attempts to bring life to old but not forgotten gameplay sectors. For instance, I long decried the downfall of the Infinity engine games like Baldur's Gate. But nowadays we not only have the remakes of both Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale; there are also many new games in the likes of the old: Pillars of Eternity 1+2, Divinity Original Sin and now even Baldur's Gate 3. All these make use of the progress in the technology, so that the experience can be progressed, while keeping the old values. I see the same for other areas too. Recently released quite some shooters that replicate old-school shooters for instance.

So the situation isn't as bad anymore as it was ten years ago.



Greatest game event 2019: SIGN UP NOW!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The 90's was undoubtedly the best era for PC games.  They just don't make games like those anymore (although I really wish they did).

I think there are some good and fun games in the indie sector. There are also many attempts to bring life to old but not forgotten gameplay sectors. For instance, I long decried the downfall of the Infinity engine games like Baldur's Gate. But nowadays we not only have the remakes of both Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale; there are also many new games in the likes of the old: Pillars of Eternity 1+2, Divinity Original Sin and now even Baldur's Gate 3. All these make use of the progress in the technology, so that the experience can be progressed, while keeping the old values. I see the same for other areas too. Recently released quite some shooters that replicate old-school shooters for instance.

So the situation isn't as bad anymore as it was ten years ago.

That's a good point.  Both Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin are games that I've wanted to try but haven't gotten around to yet.  I actually have even fonder memories around the gold box D&D games more than the Baldur's Gate line (but those were good too).  I did spend hundreds of hours playing Neverwinter Nights though, and I suppose that is along the same style.

Of course, that is just one franchise out of many greats.  For example, I have seen a few franchises try to emulate Rollercoaster Tycoon and never came close to how terrific the original series was.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 07 November 2019

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

I think there are some good and fun games in the indie sector. There are also many attempts to bring life to old but not forgotten gameplay sectors. For instance, I long decried the downfall of the Infinity engine games like Baldur's Gate. But nowadays we not only have the remakes of both Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale; there are also many new games in the likes of the old: Pillars of Eternity 1+2, Divinity Original Sin and now even Baldur's Gate 3. All these make use of the progress in the technology, so that the experience can be progressed, while keeping the old values. I see the same for other areas too. Recently released quite some shooters that replicate old-school shooters for instance.

So the situation isn't as bad anymore as it was ten years ago.

That's a good point.  Both Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin are games that I've wanted to try but haven't gotten around to yet.  I actually have even fonder memories around the gold box D&D games more than the Baldur's Gate line (but those were good too).  I did spend hundreds of hours playing Neverwinter Nights though, and I suppose that is along the same style.

Of course, that is just one franchise out of many greats.  For example, I have seen a few franchises try to emulate Rollercoaster Tycoon and never came close to how terrific the original series was.

Hmm, I can't recall any newer game that directly mirrors this style of the golden box rpgs. But the stepper portions in pseudo 3D dungeons is something that cropped up in quite some games.

And the question of greatness of the games in question always is one. But that is something that plagues other genres too. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle and then have difficulties to replicate the exact recipe which made it great.



Greatest game event 2019: SIGN UP NOW!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

@Mnementh @The_Liquid_Laser : If you like those old RPGs, you should really have a look at Lord of Xulima, which got made after it's maker got inspired by the CRPG's Blog (he plays all Computer RPGs (so excluding console exclusives) in a more or less chronological order, currently playing 1992 games: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/ ). Oh, and it's 60% off right now on GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/lords_of_xulima_deluxe_edition



By the way, I'm going to the beach with the family tomorrow. I'll be back by Sunday night, so, don't expect the next threads any earlier than that. I'll try to do it asap when I get back, but I can't promise what time exactly that'll be at, just Sunday night.

See y'all then.



Around the Network
mZuzek said:
By the way, I'm going to the beach with the family tomorrow. I'll be back by Sunday night, so, don't expect the next threads any earlier than that. I'll try to do it asap when I get back, but I can't promise what time exactly that'll be at, just Sunday night.

See y'all then.

Have fun then!



Greatest game event 2019: SIGN UP NOW!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

I'll give this a go. Need to have a good think about what goes on my list.

Also, the OP says to list standlone games and not collections on the list. Does this apply to games that have multiple releases but are inherently the same game? The obvious example being Pokemon - would I need to list Red and Blue separately or as one entry?



I'm in, but I'm not sure I can add 50 games, cause I haven't played so much of them, sorry



Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

SecondWar said:
I'll give this a go. Need to have a good think about what goes on my list.

Also, the OP says to list standlone games and not collections on the list. Does this apply to games that have multiple releases but are inherently the same game? The obvious example being Pokemon - would I need to list Red and Blue separately or as one entry?

Looking into last years threads: people listed them together and it comes together in the result list. Even so far as Sun/MOon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. I think this falls under different versions of the game, which are counted together as the same game.

AlbiNecroxz said:
I'm in, but I'm not sure I can add 50 games, cause I haven't played so much of them, sorry

I just assume mZuzek will be able to handle this, he can answer himself tomorrow then he is back.



Greatest game event 2019: SIGN UP NOW!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

SecondWar said:
Also, the OP says to list standlone games and not collections on the list. Does this apply to games that have multiple releases but are inherently the same game? The obvious example being Pokemon - would I need to list Red and Blue separately or as one entry?

Different games bundled in a collection have to be listed separately. Any "trilogy" release or stuff like that is ineligible, you gotta list the individual games.

Different releases that are mostly the same game count as one. This includes most remasters, and even many remakes. In the case of Pokémon, I tried counting the remakes as separate releases last year, but ultimately decided it was pointless since only one person listed both the original and the remake. Therefore,

Red/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen - one game

Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver - one game

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - one game

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - one game

Black/White - one game

Black 2/White 2 - one game

X/Y - one game

Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon - one game

Meaning if you were to list all mainline Pokémon games, it'd be 8 entries. If you wanna list an individual one, like just Pokémon Silver, that's fine - as long as you don't also list Pokémon Gold separately.

Edit: umm, and then there's Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. I suppose it'd be sensible to count them as one alongside the other gen 1 games? This is up for debate.