Quantcast
Joker: Your Take

Forums - Movies Discussion - Joker: Your Take

What score would you give Joker

10 17 26.98%
 
9 16 25.40%
 
8 5 7.94%
 
7 3 4.76%
 
6 5 7.94%
 
5 0 0.00%
 
4 1 1.59%
 
3 or below 1 1.59%
 
haven't watched it 14 22.22%
 
won't watch it 1 1.59%
 
Total:63
KratosLives said:
Am I bad for not feeling sad for some of the deaths in the movie? Not that i'd endorse the actions, but part of me though good riddance. Again, murder is not something i'd ever do. I also can't see how this movie will be responsible for others to take actions in their own hands. The thing is, those mentally fked up, are a ticking time bomb, eventually will do something stupid, with or without a movie.

The movie sets you up to think this way. It is uncomfortable, but we are all glad that bad people die. This is why we have the death penalty in the first place.

Joker killing Randall with the scissors and letting the midget live is the best metaphor in movie history. He sticks it to the big guy and stands up for the little guy. PURE GENIUS.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 09 October 2019

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Now that we all agree that the film was spectacular, let's delve deep into this thing.

Do you think Thomas Wayne was the Joker's dad? I think he was. I think Batman's dad was an asshole. Batman doesn't know this because he was a dumb 10 year old. We all loved our parents at that age. That man was a monster!

Also, do you believe the story that the Joker told? The man is fucked up! I think he was lying throughout the film and the film confirms it.

-Joker said the other guy gave him a gun. Joker's boss said he bought the gun from a friend.
-Joker said some kids beat him and stole the sign. His boss said he stole the sign.
-Joker said he told his social worker he wanted to be a comedian. His social worker said he never told her that.

There's TONS of examples throughout the film and it makes me want to watch it again to see what was real and what was in his head. Or what he just ignored (Like killing his mom because she lied and then seeing the picture that MAY have proved his mom really did have a relationship with him).

Amazing film. People just need to pay attention.

Joker probably never even met Thomas Wayne in the first place. After he gets punched by him, he stands over the sink staring at the mirror with a bloody nose. The next scene cuts to him being in his apartment doing the same thing.



Snoopy said:
d21lewis said:
Now that we all agree that the film was spectacular, let's delve deep into this thing.

Do you think Thomas Wayne was the Joker's dad? I think he was. I think Batman's dad was an asshole. Batman doesn't know this because he was a dumb 10 year old. We all loved our parents at that age. That man was a monster!

Also, do you believe the story that the Joker told? The man is fucked up! I think he was lying throughout the film and the film confirms it.

-Joker said the other guy gave him a gun. Joker's boss said he bought the gun from a friend.
-Joker said some kids beat him and stole the sign. His boss said he stole the sign.
-Joker said he told his social worker he wanted to be a comedian. His social worker said he never told her that.

There's TONS of examples throughout the film and it makes me want to watch it again to see what was real and what was in his head. Or what he just ignored (Like killing his mom because she lied and then seeing the picture that MAY have proved his mom really did have a relationship with him).

Amazing film. People just need to pay attention.

Joker probably never even met Thomas Wayne in the first place. After he gets punched by him, he stands over the sink staring at the mirror with a bloody nose. The next scene cuts to him being in his apartment doing the same thing.

And Joker could have easily not killed those three guys on the train, but simply identified with the murderer since he wore a clown mask. Joker oftentimes puts himself into the lives and roles of others as evidenced by the scenes on the talk show.  Yeah, that unreliable narator sure makes you doubt what could be perceived as reality at every turn.  Without an outside take on the events in this film it will probably be next to impossible to peg down any concrete moments.  Many rewatches may help this.  And who knows how intentional all of this is. It could have just been a cute way to trick the audience, but once you open the unreliable narrator "can of worms" it's hard to put them all back in.



super_etecoon said:
Snoopy said:

Joker probably never even met Thomas Wayne in the first place. After he gets punched by him, he stands over the sink staring at the mirror with a bloody nose. The next scene cuts to him being in his apartment doing the same thing.

And Joker could have easily not killed those three guys on the train, but simply identified with the murderer since he wore a clown mask. Joker oftentimes puts himself into the lives and roles of others as evidenced by the scenes on the talk show.  Yeah, that unreliable narator sure makes you doubt what could be perceived as reality at every turn.  Without an outside take on the events in this film it will probably be next to impossible to peg down any concrete moments.  Many rewatches may help this.  And who knows how intentional all of this is. It could have just been a cute way to trick the audience, but once you open the unreliable narrator "can of worms" it's hard to put them all back in.

I think we are supposed to know he is an unreliable narrator. The movie showed multiple times he imagines things all of the time. 



Snoopy said:
super_etecoon said:

And Joker could have easily not killed those three guys on the train, but simply identified with the murderer since he wore a clown mask. Joker oftentimes puts himself into the lives and roles of others as evidenced by the scenes on the talk show.  Yeah, that unreliable narator sure makes you doubt what could be perceived as reality at every turn.  Without an outside take on the events in this film it will probably be next to impossible to peg down any concrete moments.  Many rewatches may help this.  And who knows how intentional all of this is. It could have just been a cute way to trick the audience, but once you open the unreliable narrator "can of worms" it's hard to put them all back in.

I think we are supposed to know he is an unreliable narrator. The movie showed multiple times he imagines things all of the time. 

Understood.  But at some point it makes everything that happens to him in the film suspect.  I'm just wondering if Phillips wants us to question even the shooting of the people on the train.  Or the beatings that he supposedly takes.  Even the pity that we feel for him and the justification that people in this thread have for his actions are suspect and they might just be buying into the victim persona that he is creating to justify his evil qualities.  I'm not saying this is true; I'm just saying it's on the table for discussion.

Last edited by super_etecoon - on 09 October 2019

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
d21lewis said:
Now that we all agree that the film was spectacular, let's delve deep into this thing.

Do you think Thomas Wayne was the Joker's dad? I think he was. I think Batman's dad was an asshole. Batman doesn't know this because he was a dumb 10 year old. We all loved our parents at that age. That man was a monster!

Also, do you believe the story that the Joker told? The man is fucked up! I think he was lying throughout the film and the film confirms it.

-Joker said the other guy gave him a gun. Joker's boss said he bought the gun from a friend.
-Joker said some kids beat him and stole the sign. His boss said he stole the sign.
-Joker said he told his social worker he wanted to be a comedian. His social worker said he never told her that.

There's TONS of examples throughout the film and it makes me want to watch it again to see what was real and what was in his head. Or what he just ignored (Like killing his mom because she lied and then seeing the picture that MAY have proved his mom really did have a relationship with him).

Amazing film. People just need to pay attention.

I'd kind of like to discuss this stuff, but I am wondering is it ok to do it in this thread?  This is the type of movie I'd really not want to spoil for anyone. 

I do agree though that I need to see it again.  When I got to the end of the film I found myself questioning what parts were real.  I definitely need at least one rewatch if not more.  I'll probably just buy the film when it gets a blu-ray release.  It does seem like the type of film to just own and rewatch.

I thought it was. That's why I avoided it until I saw the movie. I figured people were giving their impressions of the movie (Imagine my surprise when they weren't talking about the story!). I want to hear people's theories!

But, if it's not the right place, I'll "spoiler tag" my post.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

AAAAIIIeeeee! I haven't seen it yet. Thankfully I shut some of these posts off before it mattered much. You guys tho.....Spoilers!



Chinese food for breakfast

 

d21lewis said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'd kind of like to discuss this stuff, but I am wondering is it ok to do it in this thread?  This is the type of movie I'd really not want to spoil for anyone. 

I do agree though that I need to see it again.  When I got to the end of the film I found myself questioning what parts were real.  I definitely need at least one rewatch if not more.  I'll probably just buy the film when it gets a blu-ray release.  It does seem like the type of film to just own and rewatch.

I thought it was. That's why I avoided it until I saw the movie. I figured people were giving their impressions of the movie (Imagine my surprise when they weren't talking about the story!). I want to hear people's theories!

But, if it's not the right place, I'll "spoiler tag" my post.

I think discussing the entire plot is perfectly fine in this thread.  It's a thread about what you thought about the movie and if someone is coming in here that hasn't seen the film, then they deserve to be spoiled.  If they want to have a take on the film or share that take with us, I'd suggest they watch the film first.  Thanks for bringing some meat into the discussion.



Reminds me of an old Robin Williams movie called "Jakob the Liar" where Robin Williams lies to the Jews in a Nazi ghetto to give them good news and hope so that they would quit committing suicide.

Yes, it's a cheerful movie.

Anyway, at the end, Robin Williams is killed. The rest of the Jews are sent to a concentration camp to die. Then, the narrator (Robin Williams) tells us that, on the way to the camp, the Jews were saved by the Allied forces.

BUT I personally think that the narrator was a liar and he lied to the audience just like he lied to everyone else to keep them/us happy--though I couldn't find anything to support my point of view online.

I feel that Joker lied so much that the movie really is what you want to to be. I'm not even sure if those three guys even attacked him in the Subway or if that's just a lie he told himself to make himself the hero of his own story. I definitely want to watch this again, as soon as possible!



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Snoopy said:
KratosLives said:
Am I bad for not feeling sad for some of the deaths in the movie? Not that i'd endorse the actions, but part of me though good riddance. Again, murder is not something i'd ever do. I also can't see how this movie will be responsible for others to take actions in their own hands. The thing is, those mentally fked up, are a ticking time bomb, eventually will do something stupid, with or without a movie.

The movie sets you up to think this way. It is uncomfortable, but we are all glad that bad people die. This is why we have the death penalty in the first place.

Joker killing Randall with the scissors and letting the midget live is the best metaphor in movie history. He sticks it to the big guy and stands up for the little guy. PURE GENIUS.

Mother of God... 😲



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!