Quantcast
Post Editing

Forums - Website Topics - Post Editing

 

TalonMan said:

We're currently in the process of beta testing a VASTLY superior version of the TinyMCE editor, we all use when posting rich-text messages in the forums. It's getting a fairly good work out from some of the frequent posters here, and so far there have been very few side-effects of the move.

As we get a better comfort level with the idea that there are no significant bugs or nasty issues that break threads, I'll be doing a "slow roll" of the editor out to Supporters first, and then a general release to everyone. In the meantime, I would like to get some feedback from you all, as it would help me to ensure important features are addressed - and it will help the beta testers focus on areas that need to be validated, before we start to open this up:

  • Which features do you most often use today?
  • Are there specific features that you've tried to use, but they don't work properly or are a struggle?
  • Are there features that you wish the editor would allow you to do, but are not currently available?
  • If a streamlined mobile version of the editor was available - would you prefer to use it?

These are just some of the questions that pop into my mind, but I'm certainly open to other ideas/suggestions around this particular tool. I value ALL input here, as I'm sure the beta testers will, too. 

I'd like simple quote commands so I can just copy and paste a part of a comment. 

It would be a big quality of life improvement.

I'd also like to just default to single spacing when hitting enter.



Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

I'd also like to just default to single spacing when hitting enter.

It's actually creating a new paragraph every time you hit Enter, so it's not just 'spacing'. Also, just for the record, I would like to voice my preference for having paragraphs instead of line breaks. I don't feel too strongly about it though and I imagine I'm in the minority, so whatever.



TalonMan said: 
mZuzek said:
Hm, one thing I just noticed. Selecting images can often be a pain here. You can't just click on an image, and if you try clicking it and dragging it slightly, it's apparently deleted. The only way I can select an image while editing a post is by selecting it from the space just behind it, which can be really annoying as it's a rather tiny window.

If one could just click an image to select it (and thus edit it), it'd be nice.

Yup - selecting and editing images absolutely works better in the new editor!!

Nice, thanks.

Zkuq said:
NightlyPoe said:

I'd also like to just default to single spacing when hitting enter.

It's actually creating a new paragraph every time you hit Enter, so it's not just 'spacing'. Also, just for the record, I would like to voice my preference for having paragraphs instead of line breaks. I don't feel too strongly about it though and I imagine I'm in the minority, so whatever.

Not sure about the minority part but I prefer paragraphs too.



mZuzek said:
TalonMan said: 

Yup - selecting and editing images absolutely works better in the new editor!!

Nice, thanks.

Zkuq said:

It's actually creating a new paragraph every time you hit Enter, so it's not just 'spacing'. Also, just for the record, I would like to voice my preference for having paragraphs instead of line breaks. I don't feel too strongly about it though and I imagine I'm in the minority, so whatever.

Not sure about the minority part but I prefer paragraphs too.

I'm debating this one with the beta testers now, because there IS an option to switch between single & double spacing. I could make it a user preference, but it would probably be a pain in the ass - and I fear by switching it to single space, we'll wind up with walls of texts if people don't know how to properly space their paragraphs.

For now (and only for the beta testers) - I've changed it to single space. I have a feeling it'll be switched back to double, before go-live...



Heh. Now I have the new editor and there's absolutely no need for the extra line above quotations. Clicking to the left of the quotation block actually moves the cursor there and that way, I can enter the new line easily myself without having to resort to editing the HTML. My suggestion is to not have the extra paragraph above quotations in the new editor since it works well enough even without it.

On the other hand, there seems to be some extra empty space at the top of the editor. It's not bad and I'm guessing it doesn't affect the actual post, but it seems redundant to me.

I'll probably post more feedback later, but off the top of my head, I can already say that quotation blocks sharing the same colour as the editor itself is not what I'm used to on any forums I've ever used. Quotation blocks would probably benefit from having a different background colour. Something along the lines of #f5f5f5 (at least when using the light theme) seems fine to me: it's very subtle but should be noticeable enough. Adding some tint to it might not be a bad idea either, but that gray is the one I could come up with quite easily so there's that.

Editing tables seems easier, although I've just scratched the surface so far and I'ven ever used them too much here anyway.

Clicking the rotate buttons when the cursor is somewhere along text results in an error message saying 'TypeError: settings.base_uri is undefined'. I don't know what exactly it's supposed to rotate, but I imagine something unwanted is happening if it displays an error message. I'm also getting the same error message from clicking the flip buttons (next to the rotate buttons). Anyway, it's definitely not a minor issue and has absolutely no effect on using the editor, so whatever.

I think I like the overall feel of the new editor. Somehow, it feels more responsive to me. The old editor felt a bit clumsy, this - not so much. It's still not the best editor I've used (that might go to the editor used on XenForo forums), but it's definitely a step in the right direction and it's definitely quite usable.

mZuzek said:
Zkuq said:

It's actually creating a new paragraph every time you hit Enter, so it's not just 'spacing'. Also, just for the record, I would like to voice my preference for having paragraphs instead of line breaks. I don't feel too strongly about it though and I imagine I'm in the minority, so whatever.

Not sure about the minority part but I prefer paragraphs too.

Yeah, I don't really know either. It was just a hunch, since paragraphs in editors seem to be a feature many people have a hard time grasping since they rarely need to use them. Anyway, if line breaks instead of paragraphs are kept, my suggestion is to rename the text style from Paragraph to something more fitting, e.g. Plain text. Of course I imagine it would be best to have both.

----------

I'll test some stuff here. First, let's have some lists:
  • This is an unordered list.
  • There seems to be an issue with line breaks and lists.
When I put the list right on the next line after some text, it... didn't look quite right. The list bullet went above my text, I think, and it got messed up somehow else as well I think. It started working once I undid the previous list and entered another space before starting the list. I think it then created an extra empty line though. Anyway, on to the next list:
  1. This is an ordered list.
  2. This also suffers from more or less the same problem as unordered lists.
Here be some text styles. I'm sorry for this ugliness. ∇·B=0, which I didn't have to copy-paste from anywhere else, which is nice. Special characters work, I suppose.

Spoiler!
This is a spoiler. Works in an interesting fashion. I think I might like it. It might be a good idea to add a hover effect on the spoiler text or maybe the whole spoiler block so it's more obvious it's clickable. Might also work if the 'Spoiler!' text is either made a button or made to look line one.

Anyway, that'll be enough testing for now. Seems fairly neat so far. Last edited by Zkuq - on 01 February 2019

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Spoiler!
This is a spoiler. Works in an interesting fashion. I think I might like it.

Anyway, that'll be enough testing for now. Seems fairly neat so far.

Thanks for your feedback!



                                                                                                                                            

Zkuq said:

Heh. Now I have the new editor and there's absolutely no need for the extra line above quotations. Clicking to the left of the quotation block actually moves the cursor there and that way, I can enter the new line easily myself without having to resort to editing the HTML. My suggestion is to not have the extra paragraph above quotations in the new editor since it works well enough even without it.

On the other hand, there seems to be some extra empty space at the top of the editor. It's not bad and I'm guessing it doesn't affect the actual post, but it seems redundant to me.

I'll probably post more feedback later, but off the top of my head, I can already say that quotation blocks sharing the same colour as the editor itself is not what I'm used to on any forums I've ever used. Quotation blocks would probably benefit from having a different background colour. Something along the lines of #f5f5f5 (at least when using the light theme) seems fine to me: it's very subtle but should be noticeable enough. Adding some tint to it might not be a bad idea either, but that gray is the one I could come up with quite easily so there's that.

Editing tables seems easier, although I've just scratched the surface so far and I'ven ever used them too much here anyway.

Clicking the rotate buttons when the cursor is somewhere along text results in an error message saying 'TypeError: settings.base_uri is undefined'. I don't know what exactly it's supposed to rotate, but I imagine something unwanted is happening if it displays an error message. I'm also getting the same error message from clicking the flip buttons (next to the rotate buttons). Anyway, it's definitely not a minor issue and has absolutely no effect on using the editor, so whatever.

I think I like the overall feel of the new editor. Somehow, it feels more responsive to me. The old editor felt a bit clumsy, this - not so much. It's still not the best editor I've used (that might go to the editor used on XenForo forums), but it's definitely a step in the right direction and it's definitely quite usable.

mZuzek said:

Not sure about the minority part but I prefer paragraphs too.

Yeah, I don't really know either. It was just a hunch, since paragraphs in editors seem to be a feature many people have a hard time grasping since they rarely need to use them. Anyway, if line breaks instead of paragraphs are kept, my suggestion is to rename the text style from Paragraph to something more fitting, e.g. Plain text. Of course I imagine it would be best to have both.

----------

I'll test some stuff here. First, let's have some lists:
  • This is an unordered list.
  • There seems to be an issue with line breaks and lists.
When I put the list right on the next line after some text, it... didn't look quite right. The list bullet went above my text, I think, and it got messed up somehow else as well I think. It started working once I undid the previous list and entered another space before starting the list. I think it then created an extra empty line though. Anyway, on to the next list:
  1. This is an ordered list.
  2. This also suffers from more or less the same problem as unordered lists.
Here be some text styles. I'm sorry for this ugliness. ∇·B=0, which I didn't have to copy-paste from anywhere else, which is nice. Special characters work, I suppose.

Spoiler!
This is a spoiler. Works in an interesting fashion. I think I might like it.

Anyway, that'll be enough testing for now. Seems fairly neat so far.

Just so you know - those "flip" and "rotate" buttons are for images. Would be nice if I could disable them, if you're not selecting an image. I'll have to look into it...



TalonMan said:

Just so you know - those "flip" and "rotate" buttons are for images. Would be nice if I could disable them, if you're not selecting an image. I'll have to look into it...

Yeah, I figured as much but wasn't sure since I didn't have any images I wanted to post at hand. Anyway, I added a suggestion about the spoiler feature to my spoiler text (in my post - not the posts quoting my post...), thinking no one would be quick enough to reply but alas, you two were.

EDIT: I'm not sure how it is since I can't exactly measure the difference, but I think the new editor takes more time to load than the old one.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 01 February 2019

Zkuq said:
TalonMan said:

Just so you know - those "flip" and "rotate" buttons are for images. Would be nice if I could disable them, if you're not selecting an image. I'll have to look into it...

Yeah, I figured as much but wasn't sure since I didn't have any images I wanted to post at hand. Anyway, I added a suggestion about the spoiler feature to my spoiler text (in my post - not the posts quoting my post...), thinking no one would be quick enough to reply but alas, you two were.

 That's a good idea with the spoiler stuff, and easy enough to do as it's all contained in css... 



Zkuq said:
TalonMan said:

Just so you know - those "flip" and "rotate" buttons are for images. Would be nice if I could disable them, if you're not selecting an image. I'll have to look into it...

Yeah, I figured as much but wasn't sure since I didn't have any images I wanted to post at hand. Anyway, I added a suggestion about the spoiler feature to my spoiler text (in my post - not the posts quoting my post...), thinking no one would be quick enough to reply but alas, you two were.