Quantcast
Brexit
EricHiggin said:
Eagle367 said:

Or it could be the EU teaching the UK a lesson. Something like the EU saying, "You say we're a monster, so we're gonna show you what a real monster is". If the EU gave a good deal to the UK, it would mean the EU took the UK seriously and that would just be inviting other people to leave the EU. You gave a good deal to the Brits, so now it's our turn 

Yes. The EU will make things hard on the UK on purpose, to make an example of them. Hopefully is causes the UK to fold and remain, or exit and fail. If the other nations get out of line, they will know what they potentially face this way, so they are likely to stay put. If the EU cared about the UK and it's people and democracy, it would fold and make it easy for them, but they aren't. Who's the good guy and who's the bad guy?

This is a terrible point. Giving the UK the advantages it requests will give the UK a competitive advantage over the other EU countries. Why would they disadvantage existing members by offering the UK a deal that makes it the only non-EU state with perks only member states have? UK is leaving so why is it more democratic to help the UK to the detriment of current members, than to ensure a level playing field for all (remaining) members?



Around the Network
LurkerJ said:

I wouldn't be surprised, really. I predicted a while back that May deal is gonna be a disaster, and it was, by design. A push for a second referendum isn't out of the question at this point. The fear mongering machines are relentless. Talks of delaying brexit and a 2nd referendum are very much normalised at this point. 

I don't know about that since it's the conservative party that holds nearly all of the keys. May and her own party will be especially crucial to blocking any possibility of a delay or a 2nd referendum ... 

May's party leadership was challenged because of brexit hardliners so almost all of the conservatives are in consensus of brexit one way or another ... (only 6 conservatives have voiced public support for the idea of a second referendum) 

Corbyn's party is indecisive and it still can't establish it's own position regarding brexit but most of all the leadership is likely stalling for time so they can win the next general election ... 

Corbyn's in a damned if he does or a damned if he doesn't position once his own party finds out his ideological line and there will be revolts in his own party which damage his own along with his party's chances at the next general election so basically May has set out a trap for him while he's out there stalling ... 



Helloplite said:
EricHiggin said:

Yes. The EU will make things hard on the UK on purpose, to make an example of them. Hopefully is causes the UK to fold and remain, or exit and fail. If the other nations get out of line, they will know what they potentially face this way, so they are likely to stay put. If the EU cared about the UK and it's people and democracy, it would fold and make it easy for them, but they aren't. Who's the good guy and who's the bad guy?

This is a terrible point. Giving the UK the advantages it requests will give the UK a competitive advantage over the other EU countries. Why would they disadvantage existing members by offering the UK a deal that makes it the only non-EU state with perks only member states have? UK is leaving so why is it more democratic to help the UK to the detriment of current members, than to ensure a level playing field for all (remaining) members?

seriously, the EU is looking for the interests of 400m people, why would they donate anything to the selfish UK?



dark_gh0st_b0y said:
Helloplite said:

This is a terrible point. Giving the UK the advantages it requests will give the UK a competitive advantage over the other EU countries. Why would they disadvantage existing members by offering the UK a deal that makes it the only non-EU state with perks only member states have? UK is leaving so why is it more democratic to help the UK to the detriment of current members, than to ensure a level playing field for all (remaining) members?

seriously, the EU is looking for the interests of 400m people, why would they donate anything to the selfish UK?

Don't tell such lies! the EU is just a bunch of bureaucratic monsters who rule Europe like Louis XIV. /s



The best thing to leave the EU would be to erect giant sails across the country and then move their asses across the Atlantic to where they actually wanna be.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
Helloplite said:

This is a terrible point. Giving the UK the advantages it requests will give the UK a competitive advantage over the other EU countries. Why would they disadvantage existing members by offering the UK a deal that makes it the only non-EU state with perks only member states have? UK is leaving so why is it more democratic to help the UK to the detriment of current members, than to ensure a level playing field for all (remaining) members?

seriously, the EU is looking for the interests of 400m people, why would they donate anything to the selfish UK?

Caring is sharing, no matter the race or gender or Country, etc, unless they want to physically harm you. Victims are also supposed to be supported and not torn down. Poor UK. The EU and Trump have more in common than it seems apparently...



The Canadian National Anthem According To Justin Trudeau

 

Oh planet Earth! The home of native lands, 
True social law, in all of us demand.
With cattle farts, we view sea rise,
Our North sinking slowly.
From far and snide, oh planet Earth, 
Our healthcare is yours free!
Science save our land, harnessing the breeze,
Oh planet Earth, smoke weed and ferment yeast.
Oh planet Earth, ell gee bee queue and tee.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/british-swiss-relations_swiss-government-approves-trade-agreement-with-britain/44619068#.XBcA6yhenBc.facebook

Swiss have already accepted a trade deal with us, even in the event of no deal, bet other countries do the same, we're a huge buying country



phinch1 said:
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/british-swiss-relations_swiss-government-approves-trade-agreement-with-britain/44619068#.XBcA6yhenBc.facebook

Swiss have already accepted a trade deal with us, even in the event of no deal, bet other countries do the same, we're a huge buying country

Not EU countries though as they can't. Switzerland is not a member of the EU. Swiss-EU relation is based on a series bilateral agreements rather than trade deals, and these are not the same. Separate EU countries cannot negotiate trade deals on their own. That's the whole point of a single market and one of the points of Brexiteers. Also Switzerland participates in the single market and it (at least theoretically) must follow some EU’s rules of the single market. What makes Switzerland unique is that is uses its own courts rather than EFTA ... and that is pretty much best case scenario for UK. It will be much harder (if not impossible) to replicate that with Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein (all members of EEA) and very much impossible for the rest of the 27 EU countries. 

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 17 December 2018

My current thoughts on the situation are just of annoyance, I voted remain and know of people that voted Remain, voted leave because they didn't understand and voted leave but did understand. In the end I don't care about any of it as to me it seems that all I see is politicians arguing like children. We are paying a massive bill for god knows what to leave, May is doing the best she can but the PM at the time (Cameron) quit so he didn't have to deal with it, those who wanted out (like Farage and Johnson) either aren't even in power and aren't helping the PM or just quit at every turn instead of helping. She's literally the only person trying to do something, not only to meet the demands of the public that voted out but to make sure we are okay afterwards, sadly this means making compromises it seems which no one likes probably including herself. All calling for another vote does is rub salt into wounds as it's the whole thing of just keep voting until you get the result you want (see Sturgeon's policy on Scotish Independence). If you have a superficial vote and it goes the other way but we still go out it'll be worse.



Hmm, pie.

No deal, throw out the UK now and have it done with.