Quantcast
Nintendo VS Sony Fiscal Years: Global Edition

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo VS Sony Fiscal Years: Global Edition

PS4 versus Switch, FY3/2019

Switch lead, 8M+ 3 9.38%
 
Switch lead, 6M to 8M 1 3.13%
 
Switch lead, 5M to 6M 1 3.13%
 
Switch lead, 4M to 5M 5 15.63%
 
Switch lead, 3M to 4M 4 12.50%
 
Switch lead, 2M to 3M 2 6.25%
 
Switch lead, 1M to 2M 3 9.38%
 
Virtual tie (Fewer than 1M either way) 6 18.75%
 
PS4 lead, 1M to 3M 3 9.38%
 
PS4 lead, 3M+ 4 12.50%
 
Total:32

I’m very surprised that Sony won on the console front. A console in its fifth year winning is a rarity.



Around the Network
Lawlight said:

I’m very surprised that Sony won on the console front. A console in its fifth year winning is a rarity.

I very much doubt you, after how much you went on about the Switch not having stock issues



Lawlight said:

I’m very surprised that Sony won on the console front. A console in its fifth year winning is a rarity.

Sure, if by "a rarity," you mean "something that has happened literally every generation," since that also applies to NES, SNES, PSX, PS2, and Wii.



VGPolyglot said:
Lawlight said:

I’m very surprised that Sony won on the console front. A console in its fifth year winning is a rarity.

I very much doubt you, after how much you went on about the Switch not having stock issues

Yeah, no stock issues - that’s why I thought the Switch would have won. Aren’t you surprised that a console in its 5th year at $299 sold the most last FY?



Lawlight said:
VGPolyglot said:

I very much doubt you, after how much you went on about the Switch not having stock issues

Yeah, no stock issues - that’s why I thought the Switch would have won. Aren’t you surprised that a console in its 5th year at $299 sold the most last FY?

Nope, and considering that 60% of people voted for Sony, most aren't surprised.



Around the Network
Lawlight said:
VGPolyglot said:

I very much doubt you, after how much you went on about the Switch not having stock issues

Yeah, no stock issues - that’s why I thought the Switch would have won. Aren’t you surprised that a console in its 5th year at $299 sold the most last FY?

Hahaha.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8609590

So you thought Switch would sell more than PS4, but you also thought that Nintendo would sell fewer consoles than Sony overall? Did you think Vita was going to suddenly start selling more than 3DS?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8569938

Or maybe you thought PS4 was going to crash hard, given that you said PSP numbers would be out of reach for Switch.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8110565

I guess when you said 20M, you actually meant it would sell 20M in its first year.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8108229

Oh, wait, never mind.

 

Before Switch launched, you said it would be a failure. After one quarter of Switch sales, you said it would sell worse than 3DS. After two quarters, you said it would sell worse than PSP. After three quarters, you were still saying that Nintendo would sell fewer units than Sony in this fiscal year. So the only point at which you could have changed your mind is after the holiday sales results, when PS4 was at 16.5 million for the year and Swtich was at 12.1 million. If you honestly thought that Switch was going to sell 7 million units between January and March in order to beat PS4, that doesn't mean Switch did poorly, it just means that you suck at math and have no common sense.



StarDoor said:
Lawlight said:

Yeah, no stock issues - that’s why I thought the Switch would have won. Aren’t you surprised that a console in its 5th year at $299 sold the most last FY?

Hahaha.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8609590

So you thought Switch would sell more than PS4, but you also thought that Nintendo would sell fewer consoles than Sony overall? Did you think Vita was going to suddenly start selling more than 3DS?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8569938

Or maybe you thought PS4 was going to crash hard, given that you said PSP numbers would be out of reach for Switch.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8110565

I guess when you said 20M, you actually meant it would sell 20M in its first year.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8108229

Oh, wait, never mind.

 

Before Switch launched, you said it would be a failure. After one quarter of Switch sales, you said it would sell worse than 3DS. After two quarters, you said it would sell worse than PSP. After three quarters, you were still saying that Nintendo would sell fewer units than Sony in this fiscal year. So the only point at which you could have changed your mind is after the holiday sales results, when PS4 was at 16.5 million for the year and Swtich was at 12.1 million. If you honestly thought that Switch was going to sell 7 million units between January and March in order to beat PS4, that doesn't mean Switch did poorly, it just means that you suck at math and have no common sense.

1. I said the PS4 would sell more than the Switch but the Switch slowed down quite a bit back when I made that post. Then you have Nintendo talking about records after Q2 and SMO and Q3 and suddenly you think the Switch would be demolishing an expensive console late in its life.

2. That’s not what I said. Re-read my post again.

3. That was before it was revealed to be also a handheld. 20M would have been its sales numbers if it was a home console. My prediction after the reveal is less than the 3DS LTD. That was before the first quarter of sales.

 



Lawlight said:
StarDoor said:

Hahaha.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8609590

So you thought Switch would sell more than PS4, but you also thought that Nintendo would sell fewer consoles than Sony overall? Did you think Vita was going to suddenly start selling more than 3DS?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8569938

Or maybe you thought PS4 was going to crash hard, given that you said PSP numbers would be out of reach for Switch.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8110565

I guess when you said 20M, you actually meant it would sell 20M in its first year.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8108229

Oh, wait, never mind.

 

Before Switch launched, you said it would be a failure. After one quarter of Switch sales, you said it would sell worse than 3DS. After two quarters, you said it would sell worse than PSP. After three quarters, you were still saying that Nintendo would sell fewer units than Sony in this fiscal year. So the only point at which you could have changed your mind is after the holiday sales results, when PS4 was at 16.5 million for the year and Swtich was at 12.1 million. If you honestly thought that Switch was going to sell 7 million units between January and March in order to beat PS4, that doesn't mean Switch did poorly, it just means that you suck at math and have no common sense.

1. I said the PS4 would sell more than the Switch but the Switch slowed down quite a bit back when I made that post. Then you have Nintendo talking about records after Q2 and SMO and Q3 and suddenly you think the Switch would be demolishing an expensive console late in its life.

2. That’s not what I said. Re-read my post again.

3. That was before it was revealed to be also a handheld. 20M would have been its sales numbers if it was a home console. My prediction after the reveal is less than the 3DS LTD. That was before the first quarter of sales.

 

You cant weasel out of this, you said 20 million in the thread about the reveal trailer which clearly showed it was also a handheld. Nice try.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Lawlight said:
StarDoor said:

Hahaha.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8609590

So you thought Switch would sell more than PS4, but you also thought that Nintendo would sell fewer consoles than Sony overall? Did you think Vita was going to suddenly start selling more than 3DS?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8569938

Or maybe you thought PS4 was going to crash hard, given that you said PSP numbers would be out of reach for Switch.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8110565

I guess when you said 20M, you actually meant it would sell 20M in its first year.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8108229

Oh, wait, never mind.

 

Before Switch launched, you said it would be a failure. After one quarter of Switch sales, you said it would sell worse than 3DS. After two quarters, you said it would sell worse than PSP. After three quarters, you were still saying that Nintendo would sell fewer units than Sony in this fiscal year. So the only point at which you could have changed your mind is after the holiday sales results, when PS4 was at 16.5 million for the year and Swtich was at 12.1 million. If you honestly thought that Switch was going to sell 7 million units between January and March in order to beat PS4, that doesn't mean Switch did poorly, it just means that you suck at math and have no common sense.

1. I said the PS4 would sell more than the Switch but the Switch slowed down quite a bit back when I made that post. Then you have Nintendo talking about records after Q2 and SMO and Q3 and suddenly you think the Switch would be demolishing an expensive console late in its life.

2. That’s not what I said. Re-read my post again.

3. That was before it was revealed to be also a handheld. 20M would have been its sales numbers if it was a home console. My prediction after the reveal is less than the 3DS LTD. That was before the first quarter of sales.

 

Oh, really?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8504102

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8511279

The post in which you were laughing about how you thought Switch would never pass 3DS was posted the day after Nintendo released its Q1 sales figures for FY 2017. That was two quarters after Switch had launched. Looks like you're wrong again, unless your current narrative is that you inexplicably changed your mind sometime before the Q2 results were posted, despite Nintendo's forecast being 10 million units and Sony's being 18 million. And if that's the case, I must point you to my previous post: Namely, the part about common sense.

Also (not that any further analysis is necessary in disproving your story):

1. I said the PS4 would sell more than the Switch but the Switch slowed down quite a bit back when I made that post.

You made that comment the day after Q2 results were published: The quarter when Switch's sales accelerated from 1.96M to 2.92M and Nintendo's forecast was raised from 10 million to 14 million. You are currently saying that you thought that Switch would sell more than PS4 when the projected gap between shipments was 8 million, but changed your mind after that gap was brought down to just 4 million. Fascinating.



Amazing work
Thanks for sharing this.
Interesting to see some consoles with double peaks, it is not very common.
Seems Nintendo will win every year until ps5 second or third year(and with no 3ds sucessor)