Quantcast
COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-order Chart Thread - Daily updates!

zorg1000 said:
think-man said:
I thought the first new mainline Pokemon on the switch would be going nuts, are people not happy with this new title?

I think there is a combination of factors.

1. Pokemon has been on a steady decline for over a decade in Japan. Here are sales from GameDataLibrary.

Diamond/Pearl (2006)-5.83m

Black/White (2010)-5.49m

X/Y (2013)-4.46m

Sun/Moon (2016)-3.92m

2. The National Pokedex backlash is going to affect the "hardcore" crowd who pre-orders games months in advance more than it will with the average or casual fan.

3. COMG is rapidly becoming irrelevant when it comes predicting the performance of games.

I also think the size of the userbase has to be somewhat of a factor, even if there are a few exceptions (i.e., Splatoon 2 and Smash Bros. Ultimate). By the time X/Y released in Japan, the userbase in Japan was about 5 million more compared to the size of the current Switch userbase (though I guess it depended on how many of the 3DS userbase at the time had the XL/2DS versions). That's still a lot of 3DS owners to attract to when X/Y was being hyped.

But I think regardless, Sw/Sh will be fine. If there is no upcoming sequel or third version of the games next year, I can see the games have some legs until the next huge Pokemon titles. As we have seen, all of the games from Gen 6 and 7 have sold respectively this past fiscal quarter. So its not like once the new generation is around, the previous Pokemon games just get dropped.



Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
think-man said:
I thought the first new mainline Pokemon on the switch would be going nuts, are people not happy with this new title?

I think there is a combination of factors.

1. Pokemon has been on a steady decline for over a decade in Japan. Here are sales from GameDataLibrary.

Diamond/Pearl (2006)-5.83m

Black/White (2010)-5.49m

X/Y (2013)-4.46m

Sun/Moon (2016)-3.92m

2. The National Pokedex backlash is going to affect the "hardcore" crowd who pre-orders games months in advance more than it will with the average or casual fan.

3. COMG is rapidly becoming irrelevant when it comes predicting the performance of games.

I think it is going to be another Lets Go scenario. Where we will see a decline in Japan. But still manage to sell 10mil WW. And hopefully #2 will be a wake up call for Gamefreak. If they need more staff to fix it then they should hire more. 



Pocky Lover Boy! 

I don't care if COMG is irrelevant, it's not that far off. Pokemon at a complete standstill like this has to have drawn Nintendo's attention. If Game Freak does nothing to fix this, there will be consequences for Game Freak. Bad consequences.





HylianSwordsman said:
I don't care if COMG is irrelevant, it's not that far off. Pokemon at a complete standstill like this has to have drawn Nintendo's attention. If Game Freak does nothing to fix this, there will be consequences for Game Freak. Bad consequences.

One, we have no evidence that a slow day or two at a tiny chain like comgnet means anything to the wider market.

Two, I would like to point out that when we are doing comparisons to Lets Go, we need to remember that the double pack should really count as 2 orders- which makes the overall preorder number look a lot better right now.



Around the Network

Thanks Bouty-chan.
Finally a fine day.



schuelma said:
HylianSwordsman said:
I don't care if COMG is irrelevant, it's not that far off. Pokemon at a complete standstill like this has to have drawn Nintendo's attention. If Game Freak does nothing to fix this, there will be consequences for Game Freak. Bad consequences.

One, we have no evidence that a slow day or two at a tiny chain like comgnet means anything to the wider market.

Two, I would like to point out that when we are doing comparisons to Lets Go, we need to remember that the double pack should really count as 2 orders- which makes the overall preorder number look a lot better right now.

I'm sorry, are you actually upset that I think Pokemon is doing poorly? If you think COMG is that insignificant, why are you here? Did you make an account just to defend Pokemon? I like Pokemon, I just think we have reason to think this is a bad sign. It's not a slow day or two, it's just slow. Period. This is the slowest any mainline Pokemon game has ever been at COMG. The chain isn't that much smaller than it was a few years ago, and you've been here for a day, you weren't here to see how this place used to react to a Pokemon game. This is NOT normal, and the chain shrinking does NOT explain it. If you think it should count double, why don't you try to convince Boutros to count it double? Trust me, we've all heard these arguments before.



Huh, very odd for P5R to jump up so much today. There wasn't even a new trailer uploaded. A nice day for DQXIS is good to see as well.

Last edited by Megiddo - 6 days ago

HylianSwordsman said:
schuelma said:

One, we have no evidence that a slow day or two at a tiny chain like comgnet means anything to the wider market.

Two, I would like to point out that when we are doing comparisons to Lets Go, we need to remember that the double pack should really count as 2 orders- which makes the overall preorder number look a lot better right now.

I'm sorry, are you actually upset that I think Pokemon is doing poorly? If you think COMG is that insignificant, why are you here? Did you make an account just to defend Pokemon? I like Pokemon, I just think we have reason to think this is a bad sign. It's not a slow day or two, it's just slow. Period. This is the slowest any mainline Pokemon game has ever been at COMG. The chain isn't that much smaller than it was a few years ago, and you've been here for a day, you weren't here to see how this place used to react to a Pokemon game. This is NOT normal, and the chain shrinking does NOT explain it. If you think it should count double, why don't you try to convince Boutros to count it double? Trust me, we've all heard these arguments before.

There is no need to get hostile. I certainly wasn't. 

I've been tracking comgnet for years- I still use it as a very rough reference but its completely factual to point out that its ratio is not nearly what it used to be and especially for Switch games they are especially off.

I'm not trying to convince Boutros of anything- just making the point that if we're going to look at preorders compared to Lets Go (which, IMO is be far the best comparison to use), double packs on comgnet will count as 2 game sales on famitsu and the comparison with Lets Go looks better. That's all.



schuelma said:
HylianSwordsman said:

I'm sorry, are you actually upset that I think Pokemon is doing poorly? If you think COMG is that insignificant, why are you here? Did you make an account just to defend Pokemon? I like Pokemon, I just think we have reason to think this is a bad sign. It's not a slow day or two, it's just slow. Period. This is the slowest any mainline Pokemon game has ever been at COMG. The chain isn't that much smaller than it was a few years ago, and you've been here for a day, you weren't here to see how this place used to react to a Pokemon game. This is NOT normal, and the chain shrinking does NOT explain it. If you think it should count double, why don't you try to convince Boutros to count it double? Trust me, we've all heard these arguments before.

There is no need to get hostile. I certainly wasn't. 

I've been tracking comgnet for years- I still use it as a very rough reference but its completely factual to point out that its ratio is not nearly what it used to be and especially for Switch games they are especially off.

I'm not trying to convince Boutros of anything- just making the point that if we're going to look at preorders compared to Lets Go (which, IMO is be far the best comparison to use), double packs on comgnet will count as 2 game sales on famitsu and the comparison with Lets Go looks better. That's all.

This isn't the first pokemon game to have double packs though. Also Amazon Japan shows it hasn't been doing very well either, if you wanted another source aside from COMG.