Quantcast
RUMOR: Playstation 4 to be called "Omni" + lots of other details

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: Playstation 4 to be called "Omni" + lots of other details

kain_kusanagi said:

Well, for one thing, these rumors are only about the next Playstation, not the next Xbox too. They are only rumors and they don't sound all that real to me. Also, the Wii U is not twice as powerfull as the PS3. It just isn't.

I take it you didn't A) click on link or B) read my other thread covering the rest of the rumors found at the link.

As for WiiU... yes it is 2x PS360. It obviously is.



Around the Network

This viewer sounds promissing if true.

Only concern is that is is an addon and nto standard. Like what incentive will developers have to use it?

Omni, too wierd for my liking. I rather PS4. Kepp with tradition I say. Price range is pretty good (well from a gamers perspective).



 

 

spurgeonryan said:
There is no way on earth that they aree going to name it anything other than PS4.


PS4 maybe for the west, but in Japan four is a bad number. It's like thirteen in the west. The number four means death.



So the rumors regarding my idea are coming true...somewhat.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=147818&page=1


I'm not sure about this overlay idea when they can just create an updated PlayStation version of the 3D personal Viewer.

Omni isn't bad, sounds better than Orbis but I still vastly prefer PS4 and if they are avoiding the 4 on purpose then they should pull a Sega and have it Omni in Japan and PS4 everywhere else. I don't know....we are use to Vita now, maybe Omni will work.



Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

superchunk said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Well, for one thing, these rumors are only about the next Playstation, not the next Xbox too. They are only rumors and they don't sound all that real to me. Also, the Wii U is not twice as powerfull as the PS3. It just isn't.

I take it you didn't A) click on link or B) read my other thread covering the rest of the rumors found at the link.

As for WiiU... yes it is 2x PS360. It obviously is.


Ok, I clicked the link and found rumors about the next Xbox. But this thread is about the next Playstation. The link rumors that the next Xbox will be the most powerfull, but that the next Playstation will still be quite a bit more powefull than the Wii U. I still don't know why anyone other than a Nintendo employee would want the next Xbox and Playstation to be limited to Wii U which is NOT twice as powefull as the PS360. It obviously is not.

Oh and I don't know what the other thread is that you're talking about. But I do know that some hacker just released specific tech specs of the Wii U and the news is in. The Wii U is not a huge leap from PS360. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/29/wii-u-cpu-gpu-details-uncovered

I like the Wii U and will get one when the main Mario, Zelda, or Metroid game comes out. Graphics don't get me to buy Nintendo hardware, the games do.



Around the Network
wfz said:
I thought Sony had given up on forcing 3D onto consumers who don't want it. If anything, have they not learned from the abysmal appeal the 3D in the 3DS is for consumers?

They don't want this. Please, Sony, invest your money to make the system better in other ways.


The rumor says the omniviewer is optional.



kain_kusanagi said:


Ok, I clicked the link and found rumors about the next Xbox. But this thread is about the next Playstation. The link rumors that the next Xbox will be the most powerfull, but that the next Playstation will still be quite a bit more powefull than the Wii U. I still don't know why anyone other than a Nintendo employee would want the next Xbox and Playstation to be limited to Wii U which is NOT twice as powefull as the PS360. It obviously is not.

Oh and I don't know what the other thread is that you're talking about. But I do know that some hacker just released specific tech specs of the Wii U and the news is in. The Wii U is not a huge leap from PS360. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/29/wii-u-cpu-gpu-details-uncovered

You're killing me.

1) The WiiU IS ~2x that of the PS360. Its CPU is slower per core but a more efficient and better CPU. Its not that much worse, if at all. The RAM is slower but many times more in quantity PLUS the very fast 32MB of edram that helps out in many different ways. PS360s GPUs are about 250GFLOPs while nearly everyone (especially after the 500MHz rumor) say its about 500GFLOPS... PLUS it is a far newer and more modern GPGPU and simply does a ton more over PS360s in terms of raw power, functionality, and various technologies. Anyone would say its safe to say WiiU is 2X the PS360 who knows about the tech.

2) Reread the rumors or just go to my thread with them all. It clearly says the PSOmni is about 2X the WiiU and then later says the neXtBox is about 2X the PSOmni. "Microsoft is the most vague out of all of them. It’s slated to be the most powerful out of all the next gen consoles about 4 to 6 times more powerful than Wii U and 2 to 3 times more powerful than Playstation Omni."



Munkeh111 said:
Sounds really really really expensive, though quite cool I must admit. I don't buy it though

I agree that this thing, if true, sounds like it costs a pretty penny. If they are selling it at those rumoured prices, then I expect Sony will be loosing a lot of money on every console. Because if the Wii U (even the 3DS) is selling at a loss, I don't see how Sony will be making money on such a console. It all sounds good for gamers, but not for Sony.



Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

superchunk said:

You're killing me.

1) The WiiU IS ~2x that of the PS360. Its CPU is slower per core but a more efficient and better CPU. Its not that much worse, if at all. The RAM is slower but many times more in quantity PLUS the very fast 32MB of edram that helps out in many different ways. PS360s GPUs are about 250GFLOPs while nearly everyone (especially after the 500MHz rumor) say its about 500GFLOPS... PLUS it is a far newer and more modern GPGPU and simply does a ton more over PS360s in terms of raw power, functionality, and various technologies. Anyone would say its safe to say WiiU is 2X the PS360 who knows about the tech.

2) Reread the rumors or just go to my thread with them all. It clearly says the PSOmni is about 2X the WiiU and then later says the neXtBox is about 2X the PSOmni. "Microsoft is the most vague out of all of them. It’s slated to be the most powerful out of all the next gen consoles about 4 to 6 times more powerful than Wii U and 2 to 3 times more powerful than Playstation Omni."


If the Wii U was twice as powerfull then all the games would easily run in native 1080p, but they don't they run in 720p. Halo 4 runs in native 720p and looks crazy good doing it. Lots of games on Xbox 360 and Ps3 run in native 720p. Where are the 1080p Wii U games?

The Wii U has more modern parts than the PS360, but Nintendo picked those parts because they were inexpensive and effiecent. The Wii U is only marginaly more powerfull than the PS360, not twice.

"That's a lot of numbers, but it's safe to say that more and more evidence is placing Wii U alongside Xbox 360 and PS3 versus a drastic leap over the current generation. Developers are definitely coming to terms with what Nintendo's new system will be capable of, but it's also clear that Nintendo's divergent approach has once again focused on finding innovation in control and software versus attempting to compete in terms of raw power."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/29/wii-u-cpu-gpu-details-uncovered



spurgeonryan said:
There is no way on earth that they aree going to name it anything other than PS4.


4 means bad things in Japan, so that's a reason.