Newest Japanese Sales: Dragon’s Dogma Sells Huge
And Nintendo’s domination continues unabated.
As always, Japanese firm Media Create has released its weekly sales data. This week's trove of information covers the week from May 21st through May 27th, and has been translated by Andriasang.
Nintendo 3DS continues to dominate the Japanese gaming market. 3DS sales surged over 50,000 units for the week, with the next closest console or handheld, the PlayStation 3, coming in at just under 15,000 units sold. Meanwhile, PSP continues to outsell the struggling PlayStation Vita, and Xbox 360 saw an unusual uptick in sales because of the new Cave shooter entitled Mushihime-sama, as well as a new Monster Hunter and an alternate SKU of Dragon’s Dogma.
- 1.) Nintendo 3DS - 55,212
- 2.) PlayStation 3 - 14,771
- 3.) PlayStation Portable - 10,617
- 4.) PlayStation Vita - 6,675
- 5.) Nintendo Wii - 6,149
- 6.) Microsoft Xbox 360 - 3,069
Nintendo once again dominates the software sales charts in terms of how many games it has on the list, but Dragon’s Dogma on PlayStation 3 was the best-selling game of the week, with Mario Tennis Open on 3DS coming in a distant second. Seven of the top ten selling games of the week are brand-new, and 13 of the top 20 are new, which is a nice change of pace from recent weeks.
Overall, the Nintendo 3DS accounted for six games on the top 20 list. PlayStation Portable took five more slots, with PlayStation 3 taking four of its own. Xbox 360 had an unusually strong week in Japan with three titles on the top 20, with PlayStation Vita and Nintendo Wii taking one each.
- 1.) Dragon’s Dogma (PS3, 302,040 [NEW])
- 2.) Mario Tennis Open (3DS, 101,645 [NEW])
- 3.) Uta no Prince-sama DEBUT! (PSP, 61,376 [NEW])
- 4.) Dragon’s Dogma (360, 29,024 [NEW])
- 5.) Mario Party 9 (Wii, 20,820 [380,763])
- 6.) Idolmaster Anime & G4U! Pack Volume 8 (PS3, 16,670 [NEW])
- 7.) Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS, 14,642 [391,345])
- 8.) Juuza Engi: Engetsu Sangokuden (PSP, 11,627 [NEW])
- 9.) Monster Hunter Frontier Online: Forward 4 Premium (360, 9,893 [NEW])
- 10.) Super Mario 3D Land (3DS, 9,858 [1,595,096])
- 11.) G1 Grand Prix (3DS, 9,821 [NEW])
- 12.) SteinsGate Double Pack (PS3, 9,223 [NEW])
- 13.) Monster Hunter 3G (3DS, 7,849 [1,458,658])
- 14.) Mario Kart 7 (3DS, 7,648 [1,720,566])
- 15.) My Little Sister Can’t Possibly Be This Cute Portable: Can’t Possibly Continue (PSP, 6,753 [59,929])
- 16.) Elminage Gothic: Ulm Zakir to Yami no Gishiki (PSP, 6,169 [NEW])
- 17.) Samurai & Dragons: Deluxe Package (PSV, 6,072 [NEW])
- 18.) SteinsGate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling (PS3, 5,397 [NEW])
- 19.) Mushihime-sama (360, 5,135 [NEW])
- 20.) Persona 2: Eternal Pubishment (Wii, 4,885 [29,431]