Quantcast
DICE: death of PC claim is ‘bullshit’

Forums - PC Discussion - DICE: death of PC claim is ‘bullshit’

I also think some people need to have a look at this list:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=124222&page=1#



Around the Network
Scoobes said:

I also think some people need to have a look at this list:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=124222&page=1#

Yeah, well, um... that clearly falls under intentionally misleading advertisement. If you have to fall back on such shady practices, then it's very telling about the current state of PC gaming.

While I haven't read the whole list, I can still say with absolute certainity that most of those games are NOT developed or published by Epic.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
Scoobes said:

I also think some people need to have a look at this list:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=124222&page=1#

Yeah, well, um... that clearly falls under intentionally misleading advertisement. If you have to fall back on such shady practices, then it's very telling about the current state of PC gaming.

While I haven't read the whole list, I can still say with absolute certainity that most of those games are NOT developed or published by Epic.

Lol. Damn, you caught me out!



brazylianwisnia said:
ssj12 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

one thing worse than dying is torture and thats what pc is going through every time they have a game cancelled or someone makes a game for xbox/ps3 but not pc.....oh and when a pc exclusive goes to console (soon diablo III according to job listings)

its not dead but IT IS dying.


So thats why there are more exclusives on PC every year then all consoles and handhelds put together... ok then.


http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2010&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search=

I see 18 console exclusives vs 4 PC exclusives in top games last year...and 6-0 in this year as for now.if this is the king of gaming market "his majesty PC" than keep it going...  also 21mln sales of COD:BO vs 1,5mln on PC and console game prices are twice higher...you are saying some serious BS here.

PC gameing is getting bigger because gameing busines as a whole is getting bigger.Console market is now twice as big as in the same time in PS2 generation.if i'm wrong than why biggest PC only titles comed to consoles in past years? Fallout,COD,The Sims,Battlefield,Elder Scrolls and many many more...

and what was most profitable games on PC last year?WoW and Farmvile...

 I don't hate PC.I play minecraft,Civ,sim City and Settlers very often but I do not like when someone spreads BS.

Lol. Take a look at Game Rankings list for PC games and it's missing a number of games (exclusive and even some multiplats). For one thing, I can't seem to find any Mount and Blade game. There are tons of indie titles released on PC every year; just because you don't know about them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Check the thread/list I posted above.



MikeB said:

> 90 = 96? lol a PC shooter that was rated 75 then is equal to a 90 now.

IMO nowadays a lot more effort is being put into games. Good actors are hired, orchestras are playing top quality music scores, a lot more attention to details, etc.

Of course there were highlights such as the Half-Life series, but in general I think many old PC shooters wouldn't score that well today even with a visual upgrade. ID software, Valve and Epic Games all make console versions of their games, in the past these companies were far more PC gaming orientated.

I do agree some games like the Gears of War series and Halo series are overhyped, often there seem to platform bias involved. 

First of all, games will always be terrible compared to movies so actors and cinematics are not as important. Second, even the best game music is absolutely pathetic to actual good music. Third, attention doesn't mean jack shit when your game crashes and has bugs everywhere.

Furthermore, purely statisitically speaking, there are far far more 90 games now than before. That is simply not possible. Therefore, what was before a 90, will have to be mapped to something that also splits the distribution in the same way. Maybe it's 96 maybe a little less maybe some more, but it is definitely not 90. The point is, being over 90 means nothing compared to 10 years ago.

Lastly, the games have been tailored towards the lowest common denominator. Just as in other entertainment industries such as movies, books, music, art, etc. etc. etc. the products catering to the lowest common denominator are generally speaking crap. The difference is that the critics of the other entertainment industries can tell the difference between entertaining, and quality. Apparently in games something that's entertaining but of piss poor quality is considered good. That should be gone once the medium matures. My prediction is that mechanics from back in 2000 earlier will start to be reintroduced in games as brand new and the next best thing to happen to games as gammers move on from their immaturity.



Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

 

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
rrrnearrr said:
shio said:

There are more PC exclusives than in all consoles combined. FACT. Don't try to spin this.


So? That's because console games have to be allowed and verified by the platform holders. Not that I care about your exclusive "MOD" . Or college student 2D Space Shooter

So because you don't like it or don't play it, it shouldn't count or matter? That's a very ignorant attitude to take.

There are plenty of great games on the PC that cater to a wide variety of genres. Plus most current console games are also on PC.

It's not that I don't like the PC itself. My favorite game is still an old strategy PC-Game called Desperados - Wanted Dead or Alive(you should look for it - it is brilliant). But if you care so much about these mods or indie game which ones would recommend?



MikeB said:

> 90 = 96? lol a PC shooter that was rated 75 then is equal to a 90 now.

IMO nowadays a lot more effort is being put into games. Good actors are hired, orchestras are playing top quality music scores, a lot more attention to details, etc.

Yeah, and gameplay features are being downgraded all the time. I don't care about actors, orchestras or detail if they continue to cripple gameplay. The effort you mean is mostly money.



vlad321 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Zkuq said:

Every time someone mentions 'PC gaming dying', I can't help thinking of this picture:

Also, usually I can't help posting it.

huaxiong90 said:

OT: I wonder what the PC benefits of Battlefield 3 will be?

Much more players (64 on PC, 24 on consoles), dedicated servers (could be on consoles too, though I don't think there's any reason to think so yet), better graphics (obviously), probably easier and more versatile controls and quick chat options (really, quick chat is great), customizable controls. I don't think they've actually confirmed much of that but it should be pretty obvious.


thats a very small image given the time span......

id die by the time i put together an image of all AAA playstation exclusives since it released in 1994 despite the 9 year disadvantage.

There are countless amount of games that are not in that image. I wouldn't expect you to know though, I bet you think CoD and KZ are AAA material. I'd like to also point out that the meaning of 90 back in 2000 was much much different than it does now. a 90 from 2000 is roughly equal to a 96 in 2011 going by sheer quality. This effect is mostly because games have started to cater to the least common denominator, and just liek Twilight, they have become absolutely terrible in quality. They get a lot more praise though, despite the low quality of the game.


wow....the number of assumptions you make and conclusions you jump to.....

and yes KZ is AAA material......floaty cameras with toy guns attached to them *cough* source engine *cough* are not. i can understand quake and UT (my best fps of that time) having them but when newer games like L4D have it, it tells you a lot about how much pc gaming has really improved. then we look at games like starcraft 2 ....i mean starcraft 1.5 where theres hardly been an improvement given the number of years.

there is NO WAY what so ever to determine what a score in 2000 would be today and nor is there a way to tell what the lowest common denominator actually is and the ratio of games catering for them.



Zkuq said:
MikeB said:

> 90 = 96? lol a PC shooter that was rated 75 then is equal to a 90 now.

IMO nowadays a lot more effort is being put into games. Good actors are hired, orchestras are playing top quality music scores, a lot more attention to details, etc.

Yeah, and gameplay features are being downgraded all the time. I don't care about actors, orchestras or detail if they continue to cripple gameplay. The effort you mean is mostly money.


what planet are you living on?

games have much more replay value now than they did before.....we are seeing many games with level creators and things like customisation is expected of all games.

things like graphics, physics, AI all of which impact gameplay are continuously improving. This leads to games where even if you play the same level twice, it feels different........this was not the case in older games which were repetitive, standardised and predictable.

downgraded.....yeah right.

the reason why there is no dramatic change is because people dont like change so it has to happen slowly. i bet next gen every fps will have a weighty feel like killzone even though this gen people dont like it because their used to hovering cameras.



Scoobes said:
brazylianwisnia said:
ssj12 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

one thing worse than dying is torture and thats what pc is going through every time they have a game cancelled or someone makes a game for xbox/ps3 but not pc.....oh and when a pc exclusive goes to console (soon diablo III according to job listings)

its not dead but IT IS dying.


So thats why there are more exclusives on PC every year then all consoles and handhelds put together... ok then.


http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2010&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search=

I see 18 console exclusives vs 4 PC exclusives in top games last year...and 6-0 in this year as for now.if this is the king of gaming market "his majesty PC" than keep it going...  also 21mln sales of COD:BO vs 1,5mln on PC and console game prices are twice higher...you are saying some serious BS here.

PC gameing is getting bigger because gameing busines as a whole is getting bigger.Console market is now twice as big as in the same time in PS2 generation.if i'm wrong than why biggest PC only titles comed to consoles in past years? Fallout,COD,The Sims,Battlefield,Elder Scrolls and many many more...

and what was most profitable games on PC last year?WoW and Farmvile...

 I don't hate PC.I play minecraft,Civ,sim City and Settlers very often but I do not like when someone spreads BS.

Lol. Take a look at Game Rankings list for PC games and it's missing a number of games (exclusive and even some multiplats). For one thing, I can't seem to find any Mount and Blade game. There are tons of indie titles released on PC every year; just because you don't know about them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Check the thread/list I posted above.


comes down to one thing

quality > quantity

pc is where all developers start, if they get a slight bit of sucess and their game works well with a console controller, they switch boats.

therefore the ton of games which are exclusive to pc, only a few of them are any good and the only thing stopping them coming to consoles is keyboard/mouse.