Quantcast
February 2014 NPD Thread! PS4: 285k, XBO: 258k, Wii U: 82k

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2014 NPD Thread! PS4: 285k, XBO: 258k, Wii U: 82k

kowenicki said:
I've been saying handhelds would become a small niches for the last 3 years (to great abuse) due to mobile and tablets.....

I think most people (even Chapset) will agree with me now.

I've been agreeing with you since forever, but a console doing 60 to 80mill and the other doing 20mill is still pretty far from niche



Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
kowenicki said:
I've been saying handhelds would become a small niches for the last 3 years (to great abuse) due to mobile and tablets.....

I think most people (even Chapset) will agree with me now.

I've been agreeing with you since forever, but a console doing 60 to 80mill and the other doing 20mill is still pretty far from niche

Like forever...?


it developed...

 

 



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995


kowenicki said:
chapset said:
kowenicki said:
I've been saying handhelds would become a small niches for the last 3 years (to great abuse) due to mobile and tablets.....

I think most people (even Chapset) will agree with me now.

I've been agreeing with you since forever, but a console doing 60 to 80mill and the other doing 20mill is still pretty far from niche

Like forever...?


it developed...

 

 

Hehehehe you got me



Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Soundwave, you are seriously blowing the 3DS numbers out of proportion. This is hardly a disaster, it's just bad. A disaster would entail that Nintendo has no way of turning this slump around (like with the Wii U), which they do.

With that being said, the combined totals for the Handheld market are pretty bad in the US. The Vita is really dragging.



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

Max King of the Wild said:
Farsala said:
yo_john117 said:
Well the XB1 certainly did better than I thought it would. Why did it increase so much and sell about the same as the PS4?


A combo of taxes coming back, allowing for larger purchases like Xbox One. And imo NPD adjustments, XB1 seemed too small for January.


Get over the adjustment thing. I made a thread in the third week of Jan talking about target sending XB1s back. We eventually got those vack.... as the TF bundles. XB1 had an abysmal Jan


No offense, but your target numbers are even less meaningful then Benvtriggers gamestop numbers. And we all know now that the PS4 is still beasting.

 

Edit: But I still appreciate what you say about target, gives more outlooks. This includes spurges walmart threads, the many amazon threads, the random I looked in the shop threads, and of course gamestop comments.



NintendoPie said:
Soundwave, you are seriously blowing the 3DS numbers out of proportion. This is hardly a disaster, it's just bad. A disaster would entail that Nintendo has no way of turning this slump around (like with the Wii U), which they do.

With that being said, the combined totals for the Handheld market are pretty bad in the US. The Vita is really dragging.


I said it was bordering on a disaster, not a disaster per se. 

It is bad for sure. The thing about it is this is Nintendo's main platform, they can't afford to have weakness or decline in this product categorey. The other problem is "turning it around" operates under the assumption that Nintendo is in control of the situation, which they are not. 

The decline of the traditional handheld business is largely out of their control because its due to phones/tablets.

Nintendo themselves has done almost everything possible to try and accelerate the 3DS -- $80 price drop, 2 new model revisions, Mario/Mario Kart, Monster Hunter exclusivity, casual games (Brain Training, Style Savvy, Art Academy), and a host of very good titles like Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda: ALBW, Mario & Luigi RPG, Animal Crossing, and of course Pokemon X/Y. They've put so much resources into the 3DS that the Wii U has suffered clearly. 

This situation is simply out of their control now, they can't do much of anything to stop kids from using tablets/phones and the odds of them convincing teenagers/adults to carry around two devices that can play games instead of just one are pretty slim. 



Soundwave said:

I said it was bordering on a disaster, not a disaster per se. 

It is bad for sure. The thing about it is this is Nintendo's main platform, they can't afford to have weakness or decline in this product categorey. The other problem is "turning it around" operates under the assumption that Nintendo is in control of the situation, which they are not. 

The decline of the traditional handheld business is largely out of their control because its due to phones/tablets.

Nintendo themselves has done almost everything possible to try and accelerate the 3DS -- $80 price drop, 2 new model revisions, Mario/Mario Kart, Monster Hunter exclusivity, casual games (Brain Training, Style Savvy, Art Academy), and a host of very good titles like Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda: ALBW, Mario & Luigi RPG, Animal Crossing, and of course Pokemon X/Y. They've put so much resources into the 3DS that the Wii U has suffered clearly. 

This situation is simply out of their control now, they can't do much of anything to stop kids from using tablets/phones and the odds of them convincing teenagers/adults to carry around two devices that can play games instead of just one are pretty slim. 

The fact that you think Nintendo has nothing up their sleeve is funny, really. Nintendo can still release games that would draw in more people and also slash the price considering they haven't formally done that in awhile.

There's no denying that the mobile market has impeded on the Handheld market, but not to the extent that you're talking of. Nintendo can still get people to buy their Handhelds purely based off their IP's alone. The 3DS is guaranteed to do at least 60 Million LT. And that's with a console that had a horribly botched beginning. 

What Nintendo really needs to worry about is their horrible performance in the Home Console market. That's what is worrying the most, especially considering they still act like their Home Consoles are a major player in that market.



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

Farsala said:


No offense, but your target numbers are even less meaningful then Benvtriggers gamestop numbers. And we all know now that the PS4 is still beasting.

 

Edit: But I still appreciate what you say about target, gives more outlooks. This includes spurges walmart threads, the many amazon threads, the random I looked in the shop threads, and of course gamestop comments.

My target Numbers called Ps4 > XB1 ain US a week before XB1 launched. My target numbers called a weak Jan for XB1 two weeks before NPD came out. Spurge talks about one walmart and his observations. I talk about Target as a whole. BenV doesnt really say anything because of the higher ups. I dont care about the higher ups so i outright say it.



Max King of the Wild said:
Farsala said:


No offense, but your target numbers are even less meaningful then Benvtriggers gamestop numbers. And we all know now that the PS4 is still beasting.

 

Edit: But I still appreciate what you say about target, gives more outlooks. This includes spurges walmart threads, the many amazon threads, the random I looked in the shop threads, and of course gamestop comments.

My target Numbers called Ps4 > XB1 ain US a week before XB1 launched. My target numbers called a weak Jan for XB1 two weeks before NPD came out. Spurge talks about one walmart and his observations. I talk about Target as a whole. BenV doesnt really say anything because of the higher ups. I dont care about the higher ups so i outright say it.

I thought you only had access to regional information?



yo_john117 said:

I thought you only had access to regional information?


Well the reason you have that impression is because I usually only talk about district figures (in two districts) because those numbers are just so easy to access. The other numbers (that I was paying attention to near launch for consoles) means me snooping and probably accessing things I shouldnt be. So in short, most of the time I will be talking about my district unless stated otherwise but I have no reason to look at the other numbers right now.