By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I finally finished Mass Effect. Wow.

twesterm said:
Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:
Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:

Well I finished the game last night and hot damn it was amazing!  Even though I have Mass Effect 2 I still want to play through Mass Effect again!  I actually cared about the characters and the decisions in that game got pretty tough (though the Kaiden Ashley decision wasn't hard since I didn't like either of them)!  It got to the part where I to save the council and I was just like crap what do I do! (I focused on the Soveriegn) and then you even have to pick the new human council chairmen.

Great read. But it sounds like you weren't very engaged the first time around playing Mass Effect but now you were enthusiastic. How come? It's because you now had heard how your decisions would carry over to ME2?

I have a bad habit of putting down games and not picking them back up.

Some things that lead to me putting down a game can be bugs, crappy framerate and other presentation issues, not fun, and super long (longer than 12 hours).  Mass Effect hits the bugs, framerate, and super long points so I'm not surprised I never finished it until now.

I loved the story and decisions (though I didn't get to a point where I had never made a tough decision, I never beat more than two of the opening two worlds so never got to Virmire), I just put the game down and never picked it up.  I've actually started two or three other times trying to finish it so I had actually played each of the opening three worlds at least once.

Along those lines, it was kind of annoying because I went to Virmire right away since I had never played it and I wish I had saved that for my fourth world instead of the Arachni world.  Virmire was just insane and awesome and it kind of sucked to go from that to the Arachni world that I had already played twice before before going to the end of the game.  It kind of threw my pacing off a little.

Interesting. Now, this time u played on easy and I assume skipped many/all side quests? How many hours did it take to complete?

About 15 hours, I skipped most sidequests.  I did just about all the citadel quests (I skipped a few that would get me Paragon points) and I did some of the character sidequests.

Only 15 hours. That's good. Im anxious to experience ME2, so I dont wanna get "stuck" in ME 1 like u did. And I'm a slow player, I search every corner so then it will probably take at least 30 hours for me on easy difficulty.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:
Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:
Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:

Well I finished the game last night and hot damn it was amazing!  Even though I have Mass Effect 2 I still want to play through Mass Effect again!  I actually cared about the characters and the decisions in that game got pretty tough (though the Kaiden Ashley decision wasn't hard since I didn't like either of them)!  It got to the part where I to save the council and I was just like crap what do I do! (I focused on the Soveriegn) and then you even have to pick the new human council chairmen.

Great read. But it sounds like you weren't very engaged the first time around playing Mass Effect but now you were enthusiastic. How come? It's because you now had heard how your decisions would carry over to ME2?

I have a bad habit of putting down games and not picking them back up.

Some things that lead to me putting down a game can be bugs, crappy framerate and other presentation issues, not fun, and super long (longer than 12 hours).  Mass Effect hits the bugs, framerate, and super long points so I'm not surprised I never finished it until now.

I loved the story and decisions (though I didn't get to a point where I had never made a tough decision, I never beat more than two of the opening two worlds so never got to Virmire), I just put the game down and never picked it up.  I've actually started two or three other times trying to finish it so I had actually played each of the opening three worlds at least once.

Along those lines, it was kind of annoying because I went to Virmire right away since I had never played it and I wish I had saved that for my fourth world instead of the Arachni world.  Virmire was just insane and awesome and it kind of sucked to go from that to the Arachni world that I had already played twice before before going to the end of the game.  It kind of threw my pacing off a little.

Interesting. Now, this time u played on easy and I assume skipped many/all side quests? How many hours did it take to complete?

About 15 hours, I skipped most sidequests.  I did just about all the citadel quests (I skipped a few that would get me Paragon points) and I did some of the character sidequests.

Only 15 hours. That's good. Im anxious to experience ME2, so I dont wanna get "stuck" in ME 1 like u did. And I'm a slow player, I search every corner so then it will probably take at least 30 hours for me on easy difficulty.

I had to force myself not to stop and explore every little corner and just get through it as quickly as possible.  Next time I play it I think I'm actually going to do a lot more, I'm not sure yet.  I know I'm going to play it again so I can play as Paragon in Mass Effect 2, I'm just not sure how much what effects what in Mass Effect 2 so I don't know how much I'll play.

I was not nearly as impressed with the original game. I thought it was great, but not incredible, and a large step back from KOTOR. Obviously from the review I don't feel Mass Effect 2 shared that issue.

Is mass effect worth it. If I buy mass effect 2,will I have to play mass effect one to understand it?

oldschoolfool said:
Is mass effect worth it. If I buy mass effect 2,will I have to play mass effect one to understand it?

Playing Mass Effect 2 without 1 is like watching Two Towers and never watching Fellowship of the Ring. You will only ever get 50% of what Bioware are offering you.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
I was not nearly as impressed with the original game. I thought it was great, but not incredible, and a large step back from KOTOR. Obviously from the review I don't feel Mass Effect 2 shared that issue.

Pretty much how I feel about it as well. Very good game but lacking compared to some of BioWare's older offerings.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Can people stop with the Lord of the Rings references already?

Mass Effect >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lord of the Rings and EVERYONE knows it.

perpride said:
Can people stop with the Lord of the Rings references already?

Mass Effect >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lord of the Rings and EVERYONE knows it.

We're not comparing the quality, it's trying to show how much you would miss by not playing the first.

That was a fun game, replay?

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

Kenoid said:
That was a fun game, replay?

Yes, definitely.

I played female paragon last time through and when I finish Mass Effect 2 I'm going to play as male paragon.

Though I screwed up (*SPOILERS*) I let Kaiden die my last play through which means I have to let Ashley die next time but next time I' going to male instead of female, oh well.