By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are SE reconsidering DQX for the PS3?

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Frankly, I don't think many people here have much knowledge on the Dragon Quest series so that's why you guys hare 'pessimistic' about it. As someone who has been following it for years, its easy to guage how it'll do. No matter what system the game goes to, the Japanese fanbase will follow. And the Japanese fanbase likes the Wii the most right now, eventhough Wii sales have been lukewarm. You know why that is? Because there's lukewarm support from third parties.

You've seen what happens, even in Japan, when a good game like New Super Mario Bros comes out over there. They go through the same ridiculous numbers we do in the west, with thousands of people buying the game a week (up to nearly 1/3 the Japanese Wii userbase already owning the game). What makes you think Dragon Quest X won't sell similarly? Its easily a game Japan wants, on a popular (and cheap) console and being hyped for multiple years.

It'll sell just fine. At least near the numbers of DQVIII (3.6m) if not more. The real issue is in the west and whether or not SquareEnix is going to actually try to advertise DQIX enough to make it popular, thereby opening a hype window for DQX so it can sell in the future. There's 4 unreleased Dragon Quest titles coming to the west (Dragon Quest IV DS, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 and Dragon Quest X) and SquareEnix once again has the chance to start a marketing push to make those games sell better. Or they can do nothing as they have been and watch them fail miserably like the last few entries.  If SquareEnix would put even 1/4 the marketing into the DQ games as they do their Final Fantasy titles, they could probably work up to making a Million on each Dragon Quest title in the west.  As it stands now, they're looking at barely making 10,000 in sales on DQIX.

Actually, if it was on the Xbox, I have my doubts.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

Hmm an early nominee for most LOLtastic thread of 2010. Just buy a Wii if you want DQX. This thread topic has no basis in reality.

Did anyone point out yet that Monster Hunter 3 outsold Monster Hunter 2 by a huge margin?

"Selling less than expected" my arse.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
Did anyone point out yet that Monster Hunter 3 outsold Monster Hunter 2 by a huge margin?

Capcom pretty much put an end to that in their latest IR docs.  They credit MH3 (and MHFU) with doing so well the past 9 months that they brought the company up overall despite losses elsewhere.

huaxiong90 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Frankly, I don't think many people here have much knowledge on the Dragon Quest series so that's why you guys hare 'pessimistic' about it. As someone who has been following it for years, its easy to guage how it'll do. No matter what system the game goes to, the Japanese fanbase will follow. And the Japanese fanbase likes the Wii the most right now, eventhough Wii sales have been lukewarm. You know why that is? Because there's lukewarm support from third parties.

You've seen what happens, even in Japan, when a good game like New Super Mario Bros comes out over there. They go through the same ridiculous numbers we do in the west, with thousands of people buying the game a week (up to nearly 1/3 the Japanese Wii userbase already owning the game). What makes you think Dragon Quest X won't sell similarly? Its easily a game Japan wants, on a popular (and cheap) console and being hyped for multiple years.

It'll sell just fine. At least near the numbers of DQVIII (3.6m) if not more. The real issue is in the west and whether or not SquareEnix is going to actually try to advertise DQIX enough to make it popular, thereby opening a hype window for DQX so it can sell in the future. There's 4 unreleased Dragon Quest titles coming to the west (Dragon Quest IV DS, Dragon Quest IX, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 and Dragon Quest X) and SquareEnix once again has the chance to start a marketing push to make those games sell better. Or they can do nothing as they have been and watch them fail miserably like the last few entries.  If SquareEnix would put even 1/4 the marketing into the DQ games as they do their Final Fantasy titles, they could probably work up to making a Million on each Dragon Quest title in the west.  As it stands now, they're looking at barely making 10,000 in sales on DQIX.

I stand corrected.  That's probably the one console that would drag the sales down.  Also, I do think if they put it on PS3, you might see some slighly lowered sales as well, compared to the amount you would see on Wii.  Simply because the Wii is the cheaper system and not everyone can go out and buy the PS3 for one game.  Which in Japan, some people may be buying the Wii just for Dragon Quest.  Its hard to say if they would have done the same if it was on the PS3.  Or would have even been able to afford it, especially kids.

jarrod said:
Garcian Smith said:

Capcom pretty much put an end to that in their latest IR docs.  They credit MH3 (and MHFU) with doing so well the past 9 months that they brought the company up overall despite losses elsewhere.

While at the same time, blaming the Wii for their financial problems.  Eventhough the Wii is producing the majority of its best selling titles.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

While at the same time, blaming the Wii for their financial problems.  Eventhough the Wii is producing the majority of its best selling titles.

But Capcom's like the one company who didn't blame Wii! lol.

They did point out that a couple of their Wii games underperformed (Okami in Japan, DarkSide Chronicles in America/Europe), but even those games seem to have done well in other markets anyway outside the reporting period (Okami in NA/EU, DSC in JP).

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
huaxiong90 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

I stand corrected.  That's probably the one console that would drag the sales down.  Also, I do think if they put it on PS3, you might see some slighly lowered sales as well, compared to the amount you would see on Wii.  Simply because the Wii is the cheaper system and not everyone can go out and buy the PS3 for one game.  Which in Japan, some people may be buying the Wii just for Dragon Quest.  Its hard to say if they would have done the same if it was on the PS3.  Or would have even been able to afford it, especially kids.

I completely agree.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

jarrod said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

But Capcom's like the one company who didn't blame Wii! lol.

They did point out that a couple of their Wii games underperformed (Okami in Japan, DarkSide Chronicles in America/Europe), but even those games seem to have done well in other markets anyway outside the reporting period (Okami in NA/EU, DSC in JP).

They started whining once Darkside Chronicles didn't sell well.  And then tried to point the finger at the Wii for 'underperforming to their expectations'.  Remember that big meltdown we had on the site 3-4 weeks ago we had about it?  It started most of the major 'Third party games on Wii' threads.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Egghead said:

FFXIII is on track to sell 2 million units in Japan and set to do well worldwide. DQX now with the higly expanded PS3 userbase who are now actively buying third-party software, could probably sell more.

However, almost all of DQ sales come from Japan, but with MH3 (the bigest third-party games for the Wii so far) selling well below the expectations we all had (1.5 million or at least prolonged sales). Even if you think its a resounding success, its still far from what FFXIII did.

Could DQ sell more on the PS3? If it can, should SE switch even despite the higher development cost, as it will mean that their long overdue Crystal Tools is utilised more before the generation is over?

You kinda just pulled this from dry air. you're comparing MH3 with FF. Two games one that's more popular than the other. Or did you forget that MH 3 is the best selling MH console game. The game has sold 1+ mill in Japan and it hasn't been released in the west yet? And you're complaining? The you bash it's sales denying that it's a resounding success because it did not sell more than FF. What?

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

^
actually the whining started from Capcom France.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.