By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Last Story = Final Fantasy

deathcape said:
0_0
well sorry

but I really rather have that than some bloated long boring story with some real-time menu based fighting

really

leave that for the HD
and leave as many cutscenes out as possible

I really miss when rpgs used to take skill to play
not hours

This was never true

Not ever, not in any Final Fantasy or jRPG

Time has been the primary metric of success since Dragon Quest

Around the Network

but
somehow
FFI required skill
rather than simply hours spent

some really long boring story about a whiny boy doesn't interest me, if it means I get to play less

ToS:DotnW pissed me off simply because I was more busy listening and watching Emil being a crybaby, than I was actually able to go and play

and there was 0 variety in selectable/playable characters

bah...

I really hope this isn't going to be some game filled with tons of cutscenes: I'm fine with story
as long as I get to experience it myself, and don't have to sit there watching it all happen.

I'm just hoping this game will be interesting enough

I want it to be disruptive

just like NSMBWii is

FFI did not require skill. It required patience. Resource management was minimal. Killing those Frozen Eyes a dozen time, or walking through the big fat Tunnel of Giants? Those were not matters of skill. Just patience, and knowing where best to grind.

Khuutra said:
deathcape said:
0_0
well sorry

but I really rather have that than some bloated long boring story with some real-time menu based fighting

really

leave that for the HD

not hours

This was never true

I'm not sure if I totally agree with this. I realize that virtually every JRPG can become mush easier through grinding, but should the fact that a game includes the ability to power-level automatically mean that the game does not require skill? I mean, if you don't grind in a Dragon Quest or Shin Megami Tensei game, for example, you better have a damn good strategy before getting into a boss fight. Hell, you need a good strategy for regular enemies in a game like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Cactus said:
Khuutra said:

This was never true

I'm not sure if I totally agree with this. I realize that virtually every JRPG can become mush easier through grinding, but should the fact that a game includes the ability to power-level automatically mean that the game does not require skill? I mean, if you don't grind in a Dragon Quest or Shin Megami Tensei game, for example, you better have a damn good strategy before getting into a boss fight. Hell, you need a good strategy for regular enemies in a game like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

This is true in games like FFIV, but tell me strategies that would let you kill Chaos or - god forbid - the Dragon Lord before a certain level.

Around the Network

I dunno about you, but you fight to level up, ofcourse, but the battles took skill to win
I can nowadays usually go around spamming the same skills over and over again in every single match because guess what: it simply doesn't matter anymore

all bosses are resistant to everything, wich means you know immediately what to do...
heal, attack, buff etc

never once does the game allow the player to actually go about and think

FFI did FFII did, with it's skill bases system and FFIII definitely did with all the classes

FFIV actually made bosses slightly more interesting, yet overpowered and her ebegan the emphasis on grinding

grinding became more important than being actually smart in the middle of a fight

that is what pisses me off

FF should go the direction of Dissidia FF

all battles should be played like that

that actually takes skill and good use of strategies rather than spamming the same retarded skills without thinking

this is what has happened to one of my favourite franchises...sadly

I want a revival of the old RPG style

besides that..FFI - FFVI at least had interesting styles and worlds...for the most part

after that it lost it's mythical charm...

Khuutra said:
FFI did not require skill. It required patience. Resource management was minimal. Killing those Frozen Eyes a dozen time, or walking through the big fat Tunnel of Giants? Those were not matters of skill. Just patience, and knowing where best to grind.

Yeah, but in FF1 you have a choice on what your party will be, meaning there is more strategy in how you make a team, and thus more skill.

Deathcape I wouldn't mind an answer from you on the last question either because I could not disagree with you more heartily

Khuutra said:
deathcape said:
0_0
well sorry

really

leave that for the HD

not hours

This was never true

Actually that's wrong as games like the Shadow Hearts series take some skill and strategy to get through, Tales of Destiny remake takes quite a bit of skill as well and has an anti grind method in place. The are Jrpgs that take skill.

If I back off on the point of "all JRPGs" will it be reasonable to narrow the discussion to FF1?