By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Newer Super Mario Bros Wii

*Current logo idea

Join the NEWER SUPER MARIO BROS Wii FORUMS! 50 members within 1 week and COUNTING!

The above is a forum for those of us who would like to unite (using soon-to-be-released level editor Reggie!) in helping to create (to completion!) a full-on sequel game to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, that is, something that is not a 1:1 remake of a past Mario/other game, and not an experimental hack, but more so a richly detailed, well crafted, fully featured (if eventually possible) series of levels (and perhaps world maps, as well) that could rival the quality of the original NSMBW game, which is, of course, of an INCREDIBLY high standard.

So this is something that will require time, patience, and a lot of planning and community spirit, and also a bit of modesty in case some levels you make or some of your ideas prove unpopular or unsuccessful or whatever. I recommend all of those who are enthusiastic about adhering to these general "sequel" principles to join! We're gonna have a blast, I'm sure! It takes about 20 seconds to register. It's not meant to detract from the healthy, vigorous hacking/level editing discussions taking place here at GBAtemp, but more so just to prevent this forum from being overrun and ideas from being too disorderly.

Meanwhile, continue reading if you would like to see the evolution of this game concept.

Immediate topics of discussion have obviously been the actual title of the game, so that there's no confusion which fan "hack" is which, then the World Map themes (whether or not actual maps end up being created). Also, if at any point you have random level ideas, or you played something great in NSMBW and you thought "hey! what if they did this!, or combined this with THAT mechanic!!" etc. Well, this was the thread to 'flag' those ideas and they can be organized into the best possible World/Level, but now I direct you to the Level Design Ideas subforum.

EDIT : We are also looking for people (well, a person) who may be skilled enough at taking the 3D map models from NSMBW (easily extractable), cutting them up in such a way that matches our planned World order, then we can import it back into the engine. This is pending Treeki and other Reggie beta testers actually agreeing that this is feasible (even if it means keeping the same "path structures").

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=192580

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

how do you plan to release it?
I expect a cease and desist letter in 3 days..

I like the logo!
Well, good luck I guess.

Mario's addiction has started...

I don't think this is gonna end up well.

I still remember the chrono trigger(?) remake...

Around the Network
880user088 said:
Mario's addiction has started...

I'm not worried about Mario's addiction until he tries to take a bite out of Toad's head. Then it's intervention time.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Combination of Mario Galaxy and NSMBWii?

while cool, why not just make an awesome 2D platformer that plays sorta like Mario? I mean, you could invent everything and then actually release the game for free rather than have Nintendo step in and take it down if they feel you are harming their IP.

(note, 'you' is used in the general sense here as I'm not really 100% sure who is really doing this )

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I was pretty excited when I learned that there was a a couple level editors released to make nsmbwii levels. Hopefully they get some real talented people and pump out some new levels.

Bamboleo: This isn't a remake.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

nordlead said:
while cool, why not just make an awesome 2D platformer that plays sorta like Mario? I mean, you could invent everything and then actually release the game for free rather than have Nintendo step in and take it down if they feel you are harming their IP.

(note, 'you' is used in the general sense here as I'm not really 100% sure who is really doing this )

No different than SMW romhacks I assume. The SMW stuff based closely on other Mario games doesn't seem to bother Nintendo, but calling your hack Newer Super Mario Bros Wii is clearly a bad idea. Still, I will gladly take new NSMB levels if they are well done.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka