By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on 3rd party exclusivity

I tend to think that funding the game from the beginning of the project allows the developers to not have to account for multiplatform limitations, be more focused on pushing that hardware, and in turn make a better game. Paying for a game after it's been partially developed multiplatform from the get go (or from a game on a multiplatform engine) seems like it doesn't really benefit by pushing the hardware. When exclusivity is bought later on it seems like more of a 'steal,' and is taking away from a game that may have well ended up on the other platform.

Sony does pay for it too, I remember UT3 (though to be fair this was a better deal to us because they actually told us the 360 one was coming later) haze(who knows if they paid, it may have been done to sell off of exclusivity - which it did), and probably to some extent MGS4.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
sethnintendo said:
makingmusic476 said:
Legend11 said:
Maybe the Sony exec is right. Microsoft should buy studios like Sony does and ensure the games never go onto another console. With the billions that Microsoft is making in profit they could easily do just that and then we could listen to that exec praise them.

I would like it if they did this.  It only spurs competition, and considering first party titles are often loss leaders to a degree (ie, software designed to show off technology and sell systems moreso than just sell), we could see some amazing games coming form the Microsoft camp.  Just look at what Gears has become with Microsoft's involvement.

We likely wouldn't have Killzone if it weren't for Halo, much like we wouldn't have Forza if it weren't for Gran Turismo.  Competition between the big three leads to some of the best games each gen, from Super Mario, Super Smash Bros., and the Legend of Zelda to Halo, Fable, and Forza to Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, and God of War.

Maybe you should recheck Nintendo on this statement.   Nintendo doesn't make loss leaders they make sellers...

He was speaking about Sony though, who also makes sellers.

This generation or last two?  Any Sony game can't compete with Nintendo game this generation (Wii Sports Resort, NSMB Wii, Mario Kart Wii, etc....) 

That quote... seems very old. I remember something very similar.

Well I guess enough with the "Sony owns FF7 lol" stuff.

Edit: Yeah... just what i thought.  That quote is from like 2008... why's it being brought up now?

Bodhesatva said:

Sony published Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 1/2/3, and many other prominant games for third parties back in the day. I think it's unquestionable that they also did something similar for the PSP's recent surge in third party support. How else to explain an exclusive Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid, and others, when the system's performance is so abysmal? And of course, we have examples like advertising assistance for recent games like AC II, and so forth.

Sony gives money to third parties all the time. Even Nintendo does, albeit to a lesser extent. I've often felt that Sony bested Nintendo in the PS1 era in large part thanks to their wallet, offering generous incentives and publishing assistance to major franchises like Final Fantasy (and DQ and Tekken and others). It often seems that Microsoft is returning the favor, as MS is an even bigger fish with even more money beating Sony at their own "we will outspend you" game. 

I'd say more "Bested the Dreamcast."

The PS1 had CD media.... but the Dreamcast had DVD like media that was far superior.  Stuff like Final Fantasy jumped to PS1 when DC made more sense.

Established console maker vs New one.

Better system specs vs worse system specs.

Better Media vs worse media.

Why did the big franchises go all PS?

Though yeah, Sony does the same stuff... this was just Sony wanting to take a shot at MS.

I don't like the tactic and I mean when either MS or Sony do it. As far as I'm concerned us gamers are the customer and no company should be paying money to deny us accessing to anything.

If Sony and MS want to make their consoles more attractive then they should focus on exclusives as per this quote. MS have of course indulged in this more than Sony by far, but Sony's hands are lily white either - just less bloodstained.

If it's not a true exclusive then it should never be held back. Personally I'd like to see this actually prevented under ground of fair trading - i.e. have it deemed unfair to pay someone to hold something back from customers availability to buy

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

Pot Meet Kettle

Reasonable said:
I don't like the tactic and I mean when either MS or Sony do it. As far as I'm concerned us gamers are the customer and no company should be paying money to deny us accessing to anything.

If Sony and MS want to make their consoles more attractive then they should focus on exclusives as per this quote. MS have of course indulged in this more than Sony by far, but Sony's hands are lily white either - just less bloodstained.

If it's not a true exclusive then it should never be held back. Personally I'd like to see this actually prevented under ground of fair trading - i.e. have it deemed unfair to pay someone to hold something back from customers availability to buy

I disagree.  Let them pay the big bucks for nothing in return (Sure Sony won the generations with PS1 and PS2 but what about now, any short term gain doesn't equal long term).   You might think it is monopolistic practice to deny consumers right to purchase a game on a certain console.  If that is all a company has going for itself then eventually they will meet reality.   Sure Sony and Microsoft made great strides in console gaming by buying out games for their systems but what has that left them with this generation.  Both Sony and Microsoft find themselves at the crossroads.   The only thing I know is Nintendo has it's own studios that a far superior and doesn't give a damn if a third party game goes exclusive since they can produce just as good or better quality. 

Main point is Sony and Microsoft rely on third party more heavily than Nintendo....

sethnintendo said:
Reasonable said:

I disagree.  Let them pay the big bucks for nothing in return (Sure Sony won the generations with PS1 and PS2 but what about now, any short term gain doesn't equal long term).   You might think it is monopolistic practice to deny consumers right to purchase a game on a certain console.  If that is all a company has going for itself then eventually they will meet reality.   Sure Sony and Microsoft made great strides in console gaming by buying out games for their systems but what has that left them with this generation.  Both Sony and Microsoft find themselves at the crossroads.   The only thing I know is Nintendo has it's own studios that a far superior and doesn't give a damn if a third party game goes exclusive since they can produce just as good or better quality. 

Main point is Sony and Microsoft rely on third party more heavily than Nintendo....

Your thinking seems confused there.  I understand your point on Nintendo, and that's why I say if any console provider wants to make it different they need to do it themselves, either with unique hardware - as Nintendo did with Wii - or your own IP - which both Nintendo and Sony do more than MS.

But to figure it's better for the consumer to suffer while a company sorts itself out or waits for some 'comeupance' doesn't make sense to me.  Why on Earth would you want that? 

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

sethnintendo said:
CGI-Quality said:
sethnintendo said:
makingmusic476 said:
Legend11 said:
Maybe the Sony exec is right. Microsoft should buy studios like Sony does and ensure the games never go onto another console. With the billions that Microsoft is making in profit they could easily do just that and then we could listen to that exec praise them.

I would like it if they did this.  It only spurs competition, and considering first party titles are often loss leaders to a degree (ie, software designed to show off technology and sell systems moreso than just sell), we could see some amazing games coming form the Microsoft camp.  Just look at what Gears has become with Microsoft's involvement.

We likely wouldn't have Killzone if it weren't for Halo, much like we wouldn't have Forza if it weren't for Gran Turismo.  Competition between the big three leads to some of the best games each gen, from Super Mario, Super Smash Bros., and the Legend of Zelda to Halo, Fable, and Forza to Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, and God of War.

Maybe you should recheck Nintendo on this statement.   Nintendo doesn't make loss leaders they make sellers...

He was speaking about Sony though, who also makes sellers.

This generation or last two?  Any Sony game can't compete with Nintendo game this generation (Wii Sports Resort, NSMB Wii, Mario Kart Wii, etc....) 

in sales!.

but you know jonas brothers also sell a lot. like wii fit.

as gamer Uncharted 2 > Wii fit.

makingmusic476 said:
Masakari said:
Actually, if anything it's Sony that detracts from the mix, because you absolutely need to buy a PS3 to play them, you have no other option.

With a lot of MS exclusives, you can either get a PC version, or wait, like, 1 year to get it on PS3. Gamers have other options other than 360.

I have both a 360 and PS3, so it really doesn't affect me, but saying Sony is adding and MS subtracting it is a load of bs. And I see the only platform you don't have listed below your avatar is a 360, so I guess I know where that comment came from.

Without Sony, some of these games wouldn't exist at all, or at least not in near the state they do currently.  That's not detracting from anything.  Yeah, you need a ps3 to play them, but it's better than nobody getting to play them.  That's where my entire point comes from.

And I didn't say Sony only adds nor that Microsoft only subtracts from this equation.  I only pointed out the difference between what Sony and MS does as highlighted in the OP and in Seece's first post.  Both companies do their share of creating new content and inhibiting the availability of content.  Sony screwed people over by making Ghostbuters timed exclusive in Europe, and Microsoft had a heavy hand in creating one of the best new IPs of this generation, Gears of War.  Remove Sony from the equation and more people would've gotten to play Ghostbusters sooner, which is good.  Remove MS from the equation and Gears of War would not have been the technical showcase for 360 it ended up being, which is bad.

Helping to create new content for gamers to play = awesome
Inhibiting the availability of content from gamers = sucks

Two completely different strategies, one that's great and what that isn't.  Doesn't matter who does it, one sucks, and the only reason Sony doesn't do the latter as much as they used to is because they now have enough first party studios that they don't feel the need to.  Last gen they were moneyhatting left and right.

Also, attacking the poster instead of attacking the argument shows a bit about you, too.  ;)

It's still a load of bs and you know it. I had already said Sony risks more because they fund smaller, "out of the box" devs, like the Heavy Rain and LBP guys. However, they own the IP thus potentially reap bigger benefits in the long run, both aproaches are valid.

And MS benefits next to nothing for PC. They don't get royalties. Windows isn't marketed for games, Games for Windows has done nothing for sales, nor will it ever do in it's current state. Nobody is gonna say "ohh, i'm gonna buy Windows 7 because of X game", they will buy Windows because they will buy a PC, there's no competition. You can buy an Apple, but that's not a PC, and has pluses and minuses, and people who do aren't that big into "regular" gaming.

And actually, without MS we wouldn't have Gears, Mass Effect, the GTA4 DLC, and Fable, among others.

Like I said, I have a PS3 AND a 360, any exclusivity doesn't affect me, but this isn't a 360 defending post, your post is just like someone said before, sugarcoating and bs, and clearly meant to show Sony in a more positive color for no reason. They both do the same thing through different methods, and I don't consider any one method better, it's just business. Exclusives are exclusives, that's why we have different platforms. Without exclusives what would be the point? Saying Sony screwed anyone over because they paid to get Ghostbusters timed is ridiculous, that's just business, you wanted GB? Buy a PS3 or wait. Same thing with MS stuff.

Just market, just business, and saying otherwise is bs. Sony isn't doing anyone favors by "helping to create new content for gamers", they just want to make money and will do whatever it takes. Case in point: Ghostbusters.