By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on 3rd party exclusivity

the ps3 has got the momentum now and as more and more contracts finish with microsoft more games r gna be coming over to ps3 right now this kind of is the perfect timing.

Around the Network
Masakari said:
Actually, if anything it's Sony that detracts from the mix, because you absolutely need to buy a PS3 to play them, you have no other option.

With a lot of MS exclusives, you can either get a PC version, or wait, like, 1 year to get it on PS3. Gamers have other options other than 360.

I have both a 360 and PS3, so it really doesn't affect me, but saying Sony is adding and MS subtracting it is a load of bs. And I see the only platform you don't have listed below your avatar is a 360, so I guess I know where that comment came from.

Without Sony, some of these games wouldn't exist at all, or at least not in near the state they do currently.  That's not detracting from anything.  Yeah, you need a ps3 to play them, but it's better than nobody getting to play them.  That's where my entire point comes from.

And I didn't say Sony only adds nor that Microsoft only subtracts from this equation.  I only pointed out the difference between what Sony and MS does as highlighted in the OP and in Seece's first post.  Both companies do their share of creating new content and inhibiting the availability of content.  Sony screwed people over by making Ghostbuters timed exclusive in Europe, and Microsoft had a heavy hand in creating one of the best new IPs of this generation, Gears of War.  Remove Sony from the equation and more people would've gotten to play Ghostbusters sooner, which is good.  Remove MS from the equation and Gears of War would not have been the technical showcase for 360 it ended up being, which is bad.

Helping to create new content for gamers to play = awesome
Inhibiting the availability of content from gamers = sucks

Two completely different strategies, one that's great and what that isn't.  Doesn't matter who does it, one sucks, and the only reason Sony doesn't do the latter as much as they used to is because they now have enough first party studios that they don't feel the need to.  Last gen they were moneyhatting left and right.

Also, attacking the poster instead of attacking the argument shows a bit about you, too.  ;)

demonfox13 said:
Masakari said:
Actually, if anything it's Sony that detracts from the mix, because you absolutely need to buy a PS3 to play them, you have no other option.

With a lot of MS exclusives, you can either get a PC version, or wait, like, 1 year to get it on PS3. Gamers have other options other than 360.

I have both a 360 and PS3, so it really doesn't affect me, but saying Sony is adding and MS subtracting it is a load of bs. And I see the only platform you don't have listed below your avatar is a 360, so I guess I know where that comment came from.

Tsk Tsk. The M$ defense force is out and I see Selnor's little brother Seece is in here too. Now we just need Disolitude and this thread will be complete. Anyways, I love the "With a lot of MS exclusives, you can either get a PC version".....oh wait a sec, who also benefits in the PC market? wait for it.....wait for it.....M$. Therefore either way you look at it M$ has heavily played the game, and although Sony isn't innocent they generally have direct involvement in the development stages with LBP being an example. Considering you attempt to justify the M$ exclusives also being on "another" platform known as the PC, you are easily blinded by who runs that side as well, so although I don't see what consoles you own, I can still "guess I know where that comment came from."

It comes down to M$ moneyhatting left and right for exclusives or timed exclusives or Sony having their own dev team getting involved in the projects as well as funding them. IF you have half a brain you can easily realize which is the lesser of the 2 evils. I use to be happy with M$ in the console market but now I am wanting them to go away more and more and I am glad Europe is screwing them over with all those regulations with IE and I pray to see more to come :).

Goodbye.

Maybe the Sony exec is right. Microsoft should buy studios like Sony does and ensure the games never go onto another console. With the billions that Microsoft is making in profit they could easily do just that and then we could listen to that exec praise them.

Legend11 said:
Maybe the Sony exec is right. Microsoft should buy studios like Sony does and ensure the games never go onto another console. With the billions that Microsoft is making in profit they could easily do just that and then we could listen to that exec praise them.

I would like it if they did this.  It only spurs competition, and considering first party titles are often loss leaders to a degree (ie, software designed to show off technology and sell systems moreso than just sell), we could see some amazing games coming form the Microsoft camp.  Just look at what Gears has become with Microsoft's involvement.

We likely wouldn't have Killzone if it weren't for Halo, much like we wouldn't have Forza if it weren't for Gran Turismo.  Competition between the big three leads to some of the best games each gen, from Super Mario, Super Smash Bros., and the Legend of Zelda to Halo, Fable, and Forza to Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, and God of War.

Around the Network
Nightwish224 said:
I don't mind. It has worked out for me this generation.

In a way, it hasn't made any difference for you as a 360 gamer. It's not like those games wont have been released on 360 when they were. It's pretty much just a delay or absence of the ps3 version. No net gain or loss for a 360 owner but a loss for a ps3 owner i.e, its more like M$ paid to cripple the competition rather than to boost their fan rating

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

makingmusic476 said:
Legend11 said:

I would like it if they did this.  It only spurs competition, and considering first party titles are often loss leaders to a degree (ie, software designed to show off technology and sell systems moreso than just sell), we could see some amazing games coming form the Microsoft camp.  Just look at what Gears has become with Microsoft's involvement.

We likely wouldn't have Killzone if it weren't for Halo, much like we wouldn't have Forza if it weren't for Gran Turismo.  Competition between the big three leads to some of the best games each gen, from Super Mario, Super Smash Bros., and the Legend of Zelda to Halo, Fable, and Forza to Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, and God of War.

Maybe you should recheck Nintendo on this statement.   Nintendo doesn't make loss leaders they make sellers...

Sony published Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 1/2/3, and many other prominant games for third parties back in the day. I think it's unquestionable that they also did something similar for the PSP's recent surge in third party support. How else to explain an exclusive Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid, and others, when the system's performance is so abysmal? And of course, we have examples like advertising assistance for recent games like AC II, and so forth.

Sony gives money to third parties all the time. Even Nintendo does, albeit to a lesser extent. I've often felt that Sony bested Nintendo in the PS1 era in large part thanks to their wallet, offering generous incentives and publishing assistance to major franchises like Final Fantasy (and DQ and Tekken and others). It often seems that Microsoft is returning the favor, as MS is an even bigger fish with even more money beating Sony at their own "we will outspend you" game. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Fumanchu said:
I must have imagined Sony buying the publishing rights and timed-exclusivity period for Ghostbusters.

it wasn't exactly that.Atari didn't have a publisher and wasn't keen on doing it themselves cause they feared they could get into finanacial trouble so sony did it and got a timed exclusive

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Fumanchu said:
I must have imagined Sony buying the publishing rights and timed-exclusivity period for Ghostbusters.

it wasn't exactly that.Atari didn't have a publisher and wasn't keen on doing it themselves cause they feared they could get into finanacial trouble so sony did it and got a timed exclusive

Who cares that Atari didn't want the liability? Those sweet angels at Sony have done in the past what they're accusing others of doing now, it is no different. 

A quick google search even pulls up a quote that contradicts their strategy - “We’re committed to bringing the PlayStation family the biggest and best gaming experiences first,” Mark Hardy, European Product Marketing director at SCEE, says.

Well it appears that their committment, unlike their hypocrisy, only goes so far.

In the end, 'Joe Gamer' not on the Internet forums i.e. the majority doesn't care - they only care about an image perceived that Sony gets games later than Microsoft.  Yes it's cock blocking and it sucks but they're following the same strategy that Sony used to get them to the top in the first place.